1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 owner looking at Prius prime

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Prius775, May 3, 2017.

1. Prius775

Prius775 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi all,

It's been awhile since my last Prius purchase (late 2011) and quickly approaching 200,000 miles and looking at the new Prius prime. My daily drive is roughly 100 miles + lots of long trips. I have a few questions about the new technology before trading her in.

1). With the new 8.8kwh battery would I be able to utilize it coming down steep hills? Currentlly I'm forced to use friction brakes often coming down kingsbury grade from Lake Tahoe even with the engine in (b) this is why I'm considering the prime over the standard Prius.

2) is having the engine in (b) most efficient when trying to recapture energy or is it still better to lightly apply the brakes before engaging the engine brake.

3) would I be better just keeping my gen 3? It still runs like a champ and looks like brand new.

Thanks all,

Josh from Northern Nevada.

2. dalcon95

dalcon95 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    1) yes
    2) Normal driving, no. Going down mountains in EV mode, yes.
    3) It could be time to get a Prime now while you can get something for your 2011. I would recommend the Advanced trim if your budget allows.

#1 in Easley,SC

jerrymildred and Prius from Dad like this.
  3. Jnbrown

Jnbrown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    This is my first Prius but I would say yes for the following reasons:

The 2017 Prime is a big improvement over previous generations in many ways.

You can drive 25 miles or more in EV mode per charge.

You can get a $1,500 rebate from CA and $4,500 tax credit.

You can still get some money for your 2011 and avoid paying for repairs as it gets older.

I came from a 2002 Camry XLE with 225,000 miles. I looked at Prius before but it wasn't good enough to buy one until now.
    I have had it only 5 days and absolutely love it. The ride is not as supple as the Camry but good enough.

farmecologist, huskers and dalcon95 like this.
  4. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    @Jnbrown, congrats !!! Welcome to the Prius family. Prime On !!!

Montgomery and Prius from Dad like this.
  5. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Do we have a new catch phrase? "Prime On" ;)

Montgomery and joachimz like this.
  6. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    for me the switch from Gen3 was absolutely worth it, I have a 100 mile roundtrip commute too. I'm in SoCal and going up to Monterey at least every couple of months, haven't done it yet in the Prime though but in the Gen3 going down the Grapevine, about half way through the battery was full and thus brakes were needed, i expect that in the Prime it can stay in EV and will just charge the battery without having to use the brakes, I would expect similar behavior for your example, I would maybe start with a mostly depleted battery though.
    Re your Gen3, i guess that depends if you feel that you got your money, I loved my Gen3 but don't miss it ...

7. Jnbrown

Jnbrown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks and this is a great place to learn about about Prime

8. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi Josh. Sparks, NV resident here.

9. Prius775

Prius775 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for all the replies. Ray, did you purchase from Dolan? They have a white blizzard advanced in now.

10. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Josh - I actually recently purchased, in early March, a 2010 Prius III w/solar package off a gentleman from Craigslist from North Reno. He was the second owner from Dolan Toyota. He had 55k miles on it. It's my first Prius. My wife and I are pleasantly surprised. I tend to by used cars so I'm not ready for a Prime yet.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. Joeteck

Joeteck Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I want to know if the engine charges the 8.8kWh battery when its discharged. I would hope so, since the engine is running anyway, would make sense if it did. Then once fully charged, you could drive another 25 miles on electric only. Does it do this? or is there a second battery (1kWh) which it uses like the normal Prius?

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a CHG mode (press and hold the HV/EV button for a few seconds) that will have the engine force-charge the HV battery up to 80% if you wanted it. If not, it'll drive like a regular Prius (and as you know, a regular Prius doesn't fully charge the battery, it maintains it at 60% true SOC or about 6 bars in the Gen 2 or Gen 3 Energy Monitor display).

Also, you won't use the fully 8.8 kWh size for longevity reasons. The actual EV part (that gets you the 25 miles) is about 5.1-5.4 kWh. Add another 0.5-0.7 kWh for the HV portion (the part you use when you fully used up the EV portion and are running in hybrid mode)

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This may be useful in certain special cases. But in normal conditions, why would you want to do this? It won't save gas, charging the battery is not free, but will burn nearly a half gallon of extra fuel compared to driving without recharging.

14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I'm a little confused by this:
    So I'm wondering if your "5.1-5.4 kWh" is the net charge?

If so, I've had two, instrumented 0% to 100% charge sessions and they were in the range of 6.2-6.4 kWh into the car. Then a reasonable estimate for charge efficiency might be ~5.4/6.4 = 84%. An obscure area, charge efficiency is seldom measured unless one has instrumentation in the car:
    • charge kWh - input
    • motive kWh - output
    • round-trip efficiency = motive_kWh / charge_kWh
    Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

Prius from Dad likes this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Net charged based on what others have said here. What you see in the meter will be higher of course because of loss. 6.1-6.3 kWh is what others have reported seeing on their meter so that's what you should use for calculating your electricity cost. But for the purposes of knowing how the battery is partitioned, it's close to 5-.1-5.4 kWh, right?

bwilson4web likes this.