1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 Prius engine conversion

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jan jurnecka, Feb 26, 2022.

1. jan jurnecka

jan jurnecka New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have a 2010 Prius 1 with 175k miles that has the dreaded combustion leak (head gasket vs head/block crack). I've watched several videos of using a Gen 4 engine for the swap...looks pretty straightforward...but local shops are recommending against it due to "compatability" issues. I'd appreciate comments from anyone who has done this swap...any subsequent problems I should be aware of?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think there's a thread here, if you can find it. no major problems iirc.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Check out hybridpit.com and call them.
    You can also use code "azusa" on their site
    To save some cash too!

Mention that I sent you and you may get a deal on your engine swap.

Good luck!

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ragingfit likes this.
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The engines are designed for different EGR systems: Gen 3 for higher-pressure EGR from ahead of the catalyst, Gen 4 for lower pressure from after the catalyst, requiring all the components upsized in order to pass the correct flow (in a Gen 4 car).

From what I've seen in the existing threads:

• Nobody has swapped the exhaust in order to get the Gen 4 front pipe with the low-pressure EGR takeoff. Apparently there are basic making-it-fit issues. So people are keeping the Gen 3 exhaust, and either:
    • keeping the Gen 3 EGR components, which at least are matched to the exhaust setup, but don't mount well to the Gen 4 engine, or
    • using the Gen 4 EGR components, which are too big for the higher-pressure Gen 3 exhaust takeoff, and asphyxiate the engine with too much EGR.

From what I've seen, nobody seems to get that working very well. The most promising recent thread I saw about it involved making a restrictor by punching holes in some sheet metal to go between the EGR valve and the intake, with trial and error to get the holes the right size. Seemed to get the engine running closer to ok, but it's not clear yet whether the flow curve you get from some holes in sheet metal is much like the curve the engine needs over the range of running conditions.

I've also seen threads contain a lot of guesswork about the cooling system differences.

7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The mechanics you're talking to have concerns about compatibility issues because they do all they can to avoid experiments and suprises. But if you keep searching and can clearly define all the solutions for the small amount of compatibility issues involved in great detail you'll eventually find a mechanic who will help.

8. Ragingfit

Ragingfit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My two swapped Prius v's are still on the road. No oil burning, CEL's or EGR problems. I drive 100 miles a day in my Gray v, and it's been 3 and a half years and 75,000 miles since I replaced the engine.
    - Fix That Prius !!!

PriusCamper and Mendel Leisk like this.