1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 Prius error codes p3190,c1259,c1310

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Terror404, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Terror404

Terror404 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello,
    I have got 2011 prius. Recently, when I started the car check engine light came on and 10-15 secs later check hybrid system came on the monitor and car refused to go either in d or r.After disconnecting battery for a while same thing happens.

I connected Techstream to the car and it shows 3 faults: 1. P3190 - engine poor.performance , and 2 HV system faults c1259 an c1310. What is interesting is that both HV faults are found in abs/vsc/trc live not hybrid system live section. I tried to google the codes but all the threads led to earlier model priuses and had no explanation whatsoever.
    Any ideas what would be the cause and what to check?

P.s. car was involved in an a light accident,namely all 3 radiators are intact,only air filter box was damaged and is not connected for the time being,although the air flow meter is connected. I do not know what to check and where to start with? Can it be the water pump? Both of them are connected.Is there any devoted code for inverter/engine pump malfunction?

2. 4md

4md Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    m.wynn likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can get the codes and troubleshooting for $15./2 day subscription to toyota tech info online.

4. Terror404

Terror404 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    thanks,nice point.will be checking pump and filter soon

5. Terror404

Terror404 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    little update,today I changed fuel pump but the symptoms are the same, same 3 codes. Dont know what to look for? any ideas? is there any clue that hybrid system codes appear in vsc/trc/abs section? may there be any problem related to abs or brakes?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is the inverter pump working?

how many miles on her?

what is the 12v reading after off for a few hours?

7. Terror404

Terror404 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    12v was working fine last time I checked it, when the problem persisted. will be checking voltage tomorrow as well.
    Concerning inverter pump, I am not sure, how can I check it?

8. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Inverter pump is code P0A93. You can check it by removing the inverter coolant reservoir cap and checking for a slight "turbulence" to the coolant with the car in ready mode. Engine water pump code is P261B. These are not your issues, though...

P3190 in Gen 3 is trending toward fuel pump failure with some regularity these days. This would be a good direction to head in before chasing much else.

#2 m.wynn, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When the HV computer detects a problem, it notifies the ABS/VSC computer (which has to know, because braking is coordinated with HV control). The codes you see in the ABS/VSC screen just indicate that notification was received. Your primary code is the P3190 (another interesting one, because it's in the HV computer but it's about the engine).

-Chap

Raytheeagle and m.wynn like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    he changed the fuel pump in post #5. does that require dropping the tank?

m.wynn likes this.
  11. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No, the pump lives on top of the tank and is accessed under the rear seat bench.

Sorry, OP, I missed your post #5. Did you try clearing the codes?...

Also, have a look at this TSB:

Attached Files:

#5 m.wynn, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  12. Terror404

Terror404 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    does anyone know where the fuel pump relay switch sits? I will be checking if there goes any electric current to the fuel pump today. Apart from that I will pour new gasoline as I doubt that it should be the culprit.,Although I guess it should be tough to pump out half of the tank :(. I think gas has been sitting there for at least 3 months.

13. Terror404

Terror404 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I cleaned throttle body and intake,changed the fuel pump, checked electrically whether it was working and checked all relays and fuses everyhting was ok but the symptoms where the same. last hope was to pump out all old gas and fill the tank with new one. after 3-4 starts, car started working normally so i guess that old gas was the culprit. thanks for help!

bisco likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, well done!(y)

15. Shariq

Shariq New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi I have 2012 Toyota prius... Japanese have but same issues my battery cell are not bad.and even the small battery as well is fine..gives codes c1259 (abs) / c1310 (abs) but after erase these two code goes away but only p0A80 that's replace hybrid battery pack...but the cell was not bad as I said I opened and cleaned contect for each cell and it got better with better reading but after erasing all codes car work fine for some time but then later this code comes again.. question is I did take out all the lugs out on the pack is that a problem..wat can do to erase it completely..if any help from I guys will be highly appreciated thanks