1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rebuilt HV battery still getting codes c1310, c1259, p3190

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JLK17, Jun 6, 2017.

1. JLK17

JLK17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We have a 2008 Toyota Prius. Just installed a rebuilt battery back with Gen 3 modules. We are receiving 3 codes: c1310, c1259, p3190. We know what the codes mean, but don't know what the fix is.

Since replacing the battery the code P0A80 is gone. Any insight would be appreciated. Have hunted for an answer and can't find a specific fix.

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't worry about the c codes for now.

Was the car able to run/idle prior to replacing this battery?

Did you put together this battery yourself? Or was assembled by a reputable rebuild error? Just trying to determine if it was charged before putting it in the car.

3. JLK17

JLK17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When we bought it, the car drove home. Not without problems, but we knew we had a project car. High miles, red triangle popped up on the drive home. We rebuilt the engine. Prior to replacing the battery, the original battery was not staying charged. We decided to change the battery and bought it with a warranty. Because we are in Hawaii, the company sent the 28 modules for us to assemble. The battery was charged prior to installation and is holding a charge still. Hope this is enough info...I have a much longer story, but don't want to bore you with the details.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how is the 12volt?

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

In a post like this, when you've already made the effort to find out what the codes mean, it's handy for other PriusChatters reading your post if you include that information. Me, for example, I do have c1259 down pat, I'm pretty sure about p3190, and c1310 sounds like one I've diagnosed before but I'd definitely have to look it up again to be sure. In other words, I've seen a lot of the codes and can usually offer help, but it's the meanings of the codes that I retain longest in my memory, not the codes themselves. So far, your thread shows 218 views; when you include the information so 218 other people aren't faced with repeating the same search you did to remind themselves of information you've already got, there's a lower effort barrier for people responding, so you probably get more replies and more helpful ones.

Not to mention for those of us who let our techinfo subscriptions lapse in between bouts of looking stuff up, it might cost another $15 to look up what you've left out, another reason you'll likely get more/faster/better answers by including it, when you've already looked it up.

(You can usually sort of tell which weekends I've fed the techinfo meter, because for about two days you'll see me more actively helping on threads like this, because I already have access. Then the meter runs out again and I'm back to relying on what I can remember and as much information as the poster includes in the thread.)

Cheers,
    -Chap

6. JLK17

JLK17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The 12 volt is new. We replaced it a second time, under warranty just to be sure it wasn't the issue.

Here's what we've done/replaced:
    Dropped engine to replace main crankshaft bearings
    Inverter water pump
    MAF sensor
    12v battery
    Air filter
    Anti-freeze
    Oil and oil filter
    CVT fluid
    Checked all relays and fuses
    Gen3 battery modules installed

Here's what I found about the codes:

P3190- Poor engine power

c1259 and c1310 (see below)

We've made sure the orange plug is pushed in and engaged properly. It doesn't seem to be a battery related issue, but we could be wrong.

DTC C1259/58 HV regenerative malfunction
    DTC C1310/51 HV ECU malfunction

Description
    1. The skid control ECU communicates with the HV control ECU and controls braking force according to the motors' regenerative force.
    2. Moreover, the skid control ECU sends VSC and TRC control signals to the HV ECU and inputs operating signal from the HV ECU.
    3. If a HV ECU communication malfunction is detected, the skid control ECU prohibits VSC and TRC operation and a part of ECB control by fail safe function.
    4. C1259/58 is stored if the ignition switched on with the HV battery service plug disconnected.
    5. C1259/58 and C1310/51 are deleted from memory under normal system condition.
    DTC No.
    DTC detection condition
    Problem point

C1213/59
    • No signal reception from HV ECU for at least 1 second when IG2 terminal voltage is 9.5 V or more for at least 2 seconds
    • The regeneration torque value input malfunction for at least 1 second when IG2 terminal voltage is 9.5 V or more for at least 2 seconds and communication with HV ECU is valid
    • No signal reception/transmition from/to HV ECU more than 10 times in a 5 second period when IG2 terminal voltage is 9.5 V or more for at least 2 seconds
    • Сommunication line
    • HV ECU
    • Skid control ECU
    C1259/58
    • The regeneration malfunction signal is input for at least 0.02 seconds when IG2 terminal voltage is 9.5 V or more for at least 2 seconds and communication with HV ECU is valid
    Hybrid control system (regenerative malfunction)
    C1310/51
    • The traction control prohibition signal is received for at least 0.07 seconds when IG2 terminal voltage is 9.5 V or more for at least 1.5 seconds and communication with HV ECU is valid
    Hybrid control system (VSC and TRC malfunction)

DTC C1310/11
    Open or short circuit of active brake booster solenoid circuit

(Brake booster, active brake booster solenoid circuit.)

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

8. JLK17

JLK17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    244 k miles on Hawaii?

You must drive around in circles a lot(y).

10. JLK17

JLK17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    More than you can imagine!

I believe it was a fleet vehicle of some sort for a transportation company. We've driven it a total of 11 miles and it's been parked since last September....I'd like to at least say I've driven it around the island once!!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Have you owned it since last September? Was the battery issue the reason for the extended downtime?

Sometimes sitting for extended periods of time can do weird things to electronics.

12. JLK17

JLK17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes and yes. We were trying to recondition, charge and discharge old modules... but that got frustrating... so to eliminate the battery as an issue, we purchased Gen 3 batteries and installed them last weekend.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Strange that both the HV and the vsc/trac ECU would have C1310 codes meaning different things. Did you get all these from one source, or combine some?

-Chap

14. JLK17

JLK17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    IMG_4979.JPG
    The code reader read this code under ABS/VSC/TRC

Another reader gave this info...see pdf.

The second reader wouldn't give info for ABS/VSC/TRC. It kept shutting down the program when trying to access that tab.

#14 JLK17, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  15. JLK17

JLK17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's a better copy of that file

Attached Files:

16. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Regarding DTC C1259: did you pivot the orange traction battery interlock switch 90 degrees, then slide the lever down to lock in place?

It is common for a servicer to omit that last step.

If you correctly installed the interlock switch, you need to get a better OBD-II code reader. For example, Mini VCI. C1259 and C1310 are reported by the skid control system to indicate there is a problem with the hybrid drivetrain. Hence, the hybrid vehicle ECU will have logged additional fault codes which are not apparent to your current code reader. Those are the ones you need.

Regarding P3190, that is logged by the engine ECU. Have you cleaned the throttle body interior and throttle plate? If not, do that now using throttle body cleaner sprayed upon a clean cloth. Remove the air filter housing for access to the throttle body. You can rotate the throttle plate shaft by hand. It is spring-loaded, and should not bind as you rotate the throttle plate fully open. Do not drown the throttle body in cleaner.

Also, what is the fuel tank level now? If you are not sure, add at least three gallons. Disconnect the 12V battery, then reconnect so that the fuel gauge will register the newly added fuel. See if that helps.

Finally, put a charger on the 12V battery while you are working on these various issues. It is very important that the battery remain fully charged while you are troubleshooting the many issues your car has.

17. JLK17

JLK17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

Yes, we've seen the posts about the orange switch and have made sure it's been locked in place. We've had the battery (old one) in and out so many times it's ridiculous and I continue to nag/remind about the orange switch.

And yes about cleaning the throttle plate. It's been cleaned. ( I nagged about that too) I'll have to check about the throttle body interior.

I agree with you about the reader. I haven't seen any secondary codes on the blue and red reader. The red reader logged the c1310/c1259 codes under the category ABS/VCS/TRC and not under Hybrid Control. The categories on that reader were:
    Engine and ECT
    Hybrid Control
    ABS/VSC/TRC
    EMPS
    SRS Airbag
    So does that change anything, having it under the category of ABS/VSC or is it still the skid control system saying there's problem with the hybrid drivetrain?

What about the pdf file with the info in my previous post? Does that give any additional info? That info is from the Tachyon reader for Toyota that downloads to a laptop.

Here are the readers we have. IMG_4982.jpg
    Thank you all for taking the time to read and respond to this thread. It's become more of a family project and we just don't want to give up yet. My son is over it, but we as the parents are determined to get this to work!

18. JLK17

JLK17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

And I was just reading about the fuel in another thread. I know we added fuel a couple of months ago, but I will check the level and be sure to disconnect and reconnect 12V battery. And yes the 12V battery is on a charger.

Thank you for the suggestions, I really appreciate them.

19. JLK17

JLK17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

So we re-cleaned the throttle body interior and plate. It is thoroughly clean and the throttle plate does not bind at all. Fuel tank level is over 1/2 full. Disconnected and reconnected 12V battery. Orange lever switch locked in place. Haven't gotten a different code reader yet. Codes are still the same with the addition of P3191 (Engine does not start) and P3000 (HV Battery Malfunction) but don't know the sub-code.

20. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any chance the battery voltage is too low?
    You say the battery was charged but it shows 34% in your photo. That's a bit low.

Double check that the vacuum lines on throttle body are correctly back in place.

Double check that fuel is getting to the fuel rail.

Also is the gas new? I just had a customer car that had old gas that wouldn't start until the gas was replaced. This was a car that had been sitting for 3 years. HV battery was replaced. 12v replaced. Cleaned throttle body. Mopped up excess oil out of the intake (underneath throttle body). Cleaned MAF sensor. Charged up pack.

Spark. Fuel. Air.

Can you get it to "stay running" with starter fluid?

I can talk through the nuisances of my process for starting a dead Prius if you want to call.

SFO likes this.