1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 Prius Lower Grill Block - How to with Picture

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by cary1952, Jan 9, 2014.

1. cary1952

cary1952 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The following is a short lesson on how to do the Gen 3 lower grill block. 1st step: Purchase 7-8 foot piece of 3/4 inch pipe foam with built in split. I purchased mine at Ace Hardware for $1.49 plus tax. You will need to make 4 pieces. The lower 2 pieces are approximately 2 1/2 feet long. The upper 2 pieces are each about 1 foot long. Step 2: Measure the lower 2 pieces for overall length needed and cut. Step 3: Insert 5 notches to line up with the verticals in the prius grill. Make notch about 3/4 of the way through the tubing. THE LOWER 2 PIECES ARE IDENTICAL. Step 4: Insert lower 2 tubes around the horizontal lattice of the grill. Do not insert BETWEEN the lattices. Notches should line up. When 1st tube is inserted, it will appear loose, but when 2nd one is inserted the fit will tighten snuggly. Step 5: For top 2 pieces, cut each tube 1/2-1 inch longer than necessary so part of it can tuck behind license frame. Only one notch is necessary. Step 6: Fit 2 upper tubes into place.

If you follow these steps, you will get a very professional looking result. See my picture below.

photo.JPG

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gorgeous!:love:

3. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Why didn't you slip the foam between the grille slats? Between the slats is much less visible like below
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Our Prius would have the foam just as invisible, except I used up old insulation on the Prius which is light gray so it really shows up. I plan to soon redo it with the dark gray insulation that is almost invisible from a distance.

4. cary1952

cary1952 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

5. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Because in the prius grill there are vertical pieces like pillars or dividers ... just see the upper part of the grill same thing exist in the lower part. You can not push them in enough to stick... that is why the step three notches are required .... and then you can get the things just stick

I used to use zip ties but since last year I realized NO NEED

6. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    When you cut notches for the vertical pieces you can stick the foam between the slats and it's very solid.

I posted pics above of how the dark gray foam blends in on our Fusion Hybrid and on my parents' C-Max Energi. I would worry with having the foam out like you did it that the force of the air at freeway speed would pull them off. When you cut slits for the vertical pieces and stick the foam between the slats, it is very solid and doesn't move. I've washed our cars with the foam in there, driven on the freeway at 70+ MPH and more without a single piece of foam coming lose in the past almost 3 months that I've had the grille blocked.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  7. cary1952

cary1952 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Your method seems very good also. So far my setup is extremely tight and stable. If I lose a piece, I may switch over. What diameter foam do you use for your method?

8. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Foam designed for half inch pipe. I need to redo the Prius with the dark foam and then post pics of it too...

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have done mine like cary's for 10 years and never lost a piece of foam. i didn't think the foam would fit between the slats, can you give us a pic of your prius?

10. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would need to cut almost all the way through to accommodate the pillars and be able to push all the way in.

This is my 4th winter with this method never lost a piece. As a matter of fact I was able to reuse last year one (before I had a 2010 which had different grill design so I could not use those again).

But will try if I need to re-do

11. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Here is the hideous job I did back in October. It was my first attempt at blocking so I kinda did a hack job because I didn't really know what I was doing. The pics above of how I did our Fusion and my parents' C-Max are much better quality jobs. I will redo the Prius soon so it doesn't look so awful...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks! i'll have to see it after you redo it to decide if i should try to stuff it in between the slats. btw, i thought the fusion had active grille shutters?

13. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    It does. But they're like blinds in your house. Sunlight still comes through the blinds. The grille shutters also only close when you're driving. Every time you stop in city driving and when you turn the car off they open. Foam insulation also helps to keep the ICE warmer when it's shut off while parked for short periods of time. With the foam the FFH will get from 20-30C to 80-85C coolant temp in less than 5 miles. With the foam it will heat up about as fast as the Prius. The disadvantage of the FFH is that since it runs in EV mode so much more than the Prius, it doesn't stay as warm as the Prius. Thus we try to drive the Prius more in the winter and the FFH more in the summer.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great info, thanks!

hybridbear likes this.
  15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Over the years (7+) I lost one or two "compression fit" pieces. The Gen2 grill was easier to block with stock lengths. The opening on the early Gen3 is shorter so the tubes have to be cut for a better fit. I use long black twist ties to keep the bottom tubes in place.

Is white pipe insulation a Minnesota thing? We have Magnetic Gray Frost King here.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm using a larger diameter foam tube, it's about 1.5" outside diameter. It comes in 4' lengths and I just put it on as-is, not shortening to only cover the actual open zones.

Two tubes will cover 100 % of the lower grill: I push the tube's slit onto either the topmost or lowest slat, and the diameter is enough that it mooshes over to the center slat, no need for more tubes. I hold them on with a piece of Velcro tape at each end.

Here's a pic of current. Well actually, I've only got one of two tubes in right now, it's so mild out. Just put the second tube in for illustration. Also, I pretty much never block the upper, and if I do, 50% at most: the inverter radiator is in that area.

Prius Grill Block.jpeg

17. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    New insulation I have bought has been dark gray. The light gray is many years old (at least 10) and was leftover in my parents' basement. The foam was quite hard because it is so old lol:p

18. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I posted this in another thread, cut from sheet metal with door edge trim around the edge and held with two black wire ties. GrillBlock[1].jpeg

James Analytic likes this.
  19. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What does you upper intake look like?

Very nice!

20. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I left the upper part open, last winter I used the pipe insulation on the lower and it worked, but it was more noticeable.