1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 Prius Lower Grill Block - How to with Picture

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by cary1952, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I notice now, that South Carolina, lol. What about @bwilson4web in Huntsville Alabama, though: he had me confused a while back, talking about a coming blizzard. More central?

2. serdar

serdar New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why we need this can somebody explane me pls/ im living ukraine i think this is i must do but for what )))?

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The idea with grill block is that the openings are designed for worst summer heat conditions, so in winter you can reduce grill opening, help engine to heat up.

I block the large, lower opening 50%, from temp +10C down to 0C. If temps stay at or below 0C I'll block lower opening 100%. You can also block up to 50% of upper opening (say left or right side) in extreme cold, but I never bother with that, in particular with our mild coastal winters.

Basically, 50% lower grill block for me is one foam tube, meant for insulation of 3/4" diameter copper plumbing pipes. It comes in 3 foot lengths here (perfect length for lower opening), and has outside diameter about 1.5".

It has a longitudinal slit so you can push it onto the grill slats. To keep it on I use a strip of velcro tape at each end. Very easy to install or remove thus.

Just have one tube on now (50%):

IMG_0152.JPG IMG_0153.JPG