1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 Prius Which year to buy?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jkan2001, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Jkan2001

Jkan2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Looking to buy a 3rd gen Prius and looking for advice on any particular years to buy or avoid. The only thing I've found in my searches is some 2010's start to consume oil after 100K miles. Any other particular things to look out for or options packages that are desirable that are only available in certain years or trim levels?

I would like leather, bluetooth as a must. Backup camera and upgraded stereo would be nice. I suppose I would be looking at a trim level 3+ in all years 2010-2015 correct?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    like anything, the newer, the better. my 12 is perfect, 11 is probably okay. 10 should be fine if it's lower miles, but i would probably pass, just because of the unknown oil burning.

3. Jkan2001

Jkan2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was hoping to spend less than 9-10K ideally and wanted to get a car that was still under 100k miles so it had a little bit of battery warranty left. I guess that mostly puts me at a 10/11 but I'm willing to spend a little bit more if the 12-13 have large improvements (I haven't heard of any)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just visual. center console, exterior lights maybe? nothing important. i guess the oil burning is something you'd have to risk.

5. Jkan2001

Jkan2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok I'll just look for the lowest mile 2010+ with the options I want for the best price then.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    take it for a good long test drive, and check the mpg's. drive a newer one to compare, and have the candidate checked out independently. all the best!(y)

7. CNYhybrid

CNYhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you want leather seats you're going to have to go with level Four or Five.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know.
    If it was me, I'd avoid the 1st model year. I'd go for one built after the first model refresh. Which I think happened in 2012.
    I think early lower trim levels of the 2010 did not have a MFD screen. However,....

Actually, I think you're pretty safe getting any model year of the Gen 3. But if there are things you want? Just make sure whatever year you look at purchasing has those things.
    In simplest terms, just make sure the vehicle you are buying is as much as possible the vehicle you want.

9. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    For me, the leather is not all it's cracked up to be. I've got the cloth seats but have put on Coverking seat covers. Here's Amazon description. Around $170 for fronts only -
    Coverking Custom Fit Front 50/50 Bucket Seat Cover for Select Toyota Prius Models - Ballistic (Light Gray)

10. harrysprius

harrysprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I like the leather, but just because I have kids. It stays clean and is easier to clean up after them. If not, I'd do cloth, but I'd keep seat covers on it to protect them anyway. I have always used seat covers and mats to protect the OE ones. As far as the model, I love my new, to me, 2010. I've got a couple thousand miles on it so far since purchase, and it's not burning oil. I picked it up for $9500 and it had 83,000 miles and was a V trim level. Hope info helps!

Jkan2001 likes this.
  11. Jkan2001

Jkan2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's exactly why I want leather as well. I have a young daughter and messes will be inevitable. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on a rare trim level 5. I'd be looking for something similar.

I thought Level 3+ after a certain year have leather or some kind of synthetic leather softex material?

12. breakfast

breakfast Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    2012's through 2015's have the mid-cycle refresh benefits (look for the "hockey-stick-style" tail lights)

2014's and 2015's have structural and air bag safety improvements which improve performance on the small overlap front IIHS crash tests.
    All 2015's have a backup camera standard - even model 2's.

13. Jkan2001

Jkan2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks good info. My budget probably won't allow a 13-15, maybe a 12. What are the main benefits of the 12+ mid cycle refresh? Mostly just cosmetic?

Is MFD- multifunction display screen? What info does that show?

#13 Jkan2001, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  14. harrysprius

harrysprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There were a couple others here in the "south of Nashville" market for about the same price. I think both of them were the 2012's with cloth and both had just over 100,000 miles. One was red other was silver, and both were $8900. I am just giving you price comparisons. I'm sorry but I don't remember the trim levels.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's just touch screen buttons and rearview camera, unless it has gps.

16. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's up to the OP.
    But since they say:

I'm going to say, I'd really recommend getting a Prius with the MFD screen.
    It's your interface with at least two of those items.

Plus, in my opinion, almost all new cars today have some form of dash MFD screen. Most new Stereo "Infotainment" set ups have a MFD screen.
    At this point? NOT having an MFD screen in your vehicle I think makes it look out of date. They keep getting bigger, and keep offering more and more levels of interface. I think MFD screens are today...and tomorrow as far as modern vehicles.

I also liked the MFD screen for the options it allowed. I would set my upper dash to show the Hybrid Meter gauge, and the MFD to show the graphic of energy dispersal. Together it was the most instantaneous possible feedback about how the Hybrid System was working at any given moment.

Just google images of 2010 Prius Dash, and you can see how different the Dash looks without the MFD vs. With The MFD.
    I think it looks pretty out of date without a MFD screen.

But ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY? no...people survive nicely without them.

17. Jkan2001

Jkan2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Any idea what years and trim levels are required to get the MFD screen? Does any Prius with Nav have the MFD screen?

18. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I remember right, and I very well may NOT....
    It was only the lower trim models in 2010 that did NOT have an MFD.
    And then Toyota pretty quickly realized their "spartan" mistake and added them to all trim levels.

So I think if you want an MFD, you just have to avoid lower trim models in the introductory year of 2010.

And of course, they are just physically pretty obvious. I don't think you are going to sit down in The Prius and miss either it's presence or absence.

19. Jkan2001

Jkan2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks, were there different sizes/displays for the MFD? For instance one version for non navigation that may have been smaller or lower screen resolution vs. Nav equipped units with a larger screen and/or higher res?

20. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really, I can barely remember last Wednesday. Let alone specific available MFD's sizes and exact refresh additions from 2010 onward.
    Maybe others can help?

And again? I assume whatever Prius you consider, you'll test drive and check out. So my foremost advice is know what you want, and just make sure "whatever" you are looking at has what you want. Some of it should just physically be obvious....MFD screen....Leather Seats....

You seem to have a pretty good idea of what you want.

Not to muddy the waters...but also keep in mind aftermarket options do exist for some of the things you are considering.

My Dad, bought a Rav 4, without a MFD screen, then about a year or so in, upgraded the stereo, he now has a MFD screen and a back-up camera.