1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 Prius Which year to buy?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jkan2001, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Jkan2001

Jkan2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Honestly the reason I'm buying a Prius is my wife needs a commuter car. I want an appliance car I never have to think about or touch except filling gas, changing the oil, brakes and tires. Also need some room for the baby's stuff. Prius seems like a pretty darn good fit.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well your profile suggest you own a 2017 Tesla Model S?

Yep, I think a great aspect of Prius's success and long term popularity is not only it's hybrid benefit BUT also just being very good utilitarian car.

3. Jkan2001

Jkan2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No, it made me pick a car so I just picked that. I have a Tesla Model 3 on order though. Currently have a 2016 BMW M3, 2017 BMW M2, and a 911 GT3. Don't hate me for my gas guzzlers!

Montgomery likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it has nav, it has the screen. but maybe not vice versa. al the screens are the same size and resolution. it's possible the resolution improved in later years, idk.
    the model without a screen gets a small lcd screen, and rearview cam in the corner of the rearview mirror.

5. bingee3

bingee3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2012 was refreshed , my choice ,,, good luck finding the options you want

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's weird, our (Canadian) 2010 Touring has no MFD, but does have BluTooth phone, and back up camera with display in the rear view mirror. But I'm not sure how things are in the States.

7. harrysprius

harrysprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How far does she commute? I'd get her an all electric. She could drive one of the others if she has to go on a longer trip.

8. Jkan2001

Jkan2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four

50-60 miles a day but I'm going to use this car for errands and road trips and stuff when we don't want to put miles on our nicer cars too and I don't want to deal with range anxiety with an electric car. If the Tesla Model 3 actually delivers on it's 230 min mile per charge promise I'll buy one but 50-100 miles range is a no go.

9. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I actually bought a Leaf before the prius, but it wouldn't make it to my work. I commute 55 miles each way. I can charge for free at work, so I didn't particularly care how much charge was left over. I have to admit that it really drove and handled good. It seemed a bit more roomy and comfortable to me as well. It was a good bit less expensive than the prius, and it had most of the same features. If the range would have been what they said it was I would definitely have kept it. Luckily, while they would not stand behind the car being as advertised, they did allow me to return it and buy something else. Of course an electric car would only have worked because I have an ICE car and SUV as backups. If I didn't have them I wouldn't even have considered it.

10. Jkan2001

Jkan2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A coworker has a Leaf, seems like a decent vehicle if you drive very limited miles. Was quiet, decently comfortable, good torque but I he could barely make it to work and back each day and if he forgot to charge it overnight he'd have to drive his wife's Camry to work the next day.

11. Jkan2001

Jkan2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Any other Prius specific places to look for a car? Most the stuff on Craigslist, Cargurus, Autotrader, Cars.com is crap. I posted a WTB ad here but no response.

12. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm mixed on Carvana, after my first issue, but I have had no complaints with the Prius and everything seems to be just as they said. Have you tried it?

13. Jkan2001

Jkan2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nah, I prefer to buy cars from private owners. Do the 2012's all come with bluetooth and backup camera standard?

14. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    In the 10 and 11 you can get leather in the 4 or 5 but no power seat. In the 12 and newer the 4 and 5 have a power leather seat. Hope that helps, the 12 if you can find one would be your best bet and with low gas prices don't be afraid to lowball, you might get lucky.

15. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am looking up a 2010 Prius gas engine on car-part.com and results come back with yards selling 2010 to 2013s....So if your motor blows on a 2010 you can install a 2013....My point is the changes over the years must be very subtle if they are all interchangeable???

bisco likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wouldn't be surprised, don't recall anyone mentioning major changes. redesigned manifolds an erg's and the like i think, to reduce known problems.

MilkyWay likes this.
  17. Jkan2001

Jkan2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What are thoughts on high mileage gen 3's like 130K and up? Worth buying for say 5-6K? Any big ticket items that break on these things beyond batteries at that kind of mileage?

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The one thing that comes to mind with that amount of miles is that it might be in need of stem-to-stern EGR cleaning. Which is kinda of a pathetic design fail, but anyway: this is more a PITA than a big ticket item, at least if you're prepared to DIY. With a few cleaner/solvents, the right tools, and a LOT of patience, this can be resolved for next to nothing. @Raytheeagle is evangelizing this, trail blazing what to do, and threatening to do (another) video.

The other possible unknown is the hybrid battery, or the inverter, or the electronics associated, several big ticket items there. But so far I think the number of failures is quite low?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    An evangelist, eh:whistle:?

This Saturday should provide an excellent opportunity to video the process :)! Done the egr system cleanse and swap twice now, with the third time we'll see if we can be even more efficient ;).

The egr cooler and valve are cleaned and ready for @Rebound 's service (y).

As for the hybrid battery, there are ways to preventatively maintain this. I have invested in the Hybrid Automotive technology and have seen the positive benefits. Even though our 2010 Prius II is less than 8 years old, it has 157 k miles on it now. With proper maintenance, the hope is another 157k miles:).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How long does it take you cleaning the cooler now, a day or two, alternating soaking with active cleaning, say the wire on power drill?

Our's will sit around for two-three days normally, no pressing need. So maybe with the coolant change I'll take the cowl off, get my E8 socket set and take the plunge: cooler, valve, and intake manifold.

That's sometime down the road, for our garage queen, lol.

#40 Mendel Leisk, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Raytheeagle likes this.