1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 Prius Which year to buy?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jkan2001, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Would purchasing a brand new cooler an option?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They're about $220~300 plus shipping. And used on EBay are around $50~100. The latter are often cooler plus valve. The latter basically lets you clean at your leisure. OTOH, if it's reliably possible to clean the existing cooler, and doable in a day or two, that's the route I'd go.

Egr Pipe - Toyota (25601-37010)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I use BrakeKleen and let it soak for hours;). Leave the valve connected and put it in a bench vice and cap the end with a piece of plastic and rubber band. Here's what it looks like with a flashlight on one end:
    IMG_0441.JPG IMG_0442.JPG

Not too bad:). I tried 20 gauge wire and it hangs up on the fins in the cooler. But thinner gauge would work. Mine at 120 k miles wasn't bad enough where liquid wouldn't pass through it like @danlatu 's was. So the brakekleen and soak time worked well;).

Could you do it in a couple of days: absolutely.

Could you do it on your own: yes.

Would an extra set of hands help: YES!!

Don't forget the ratcheting wrenches for the nuts on the backside of the cooler for your plunge;). Life is much easier with those(y).

4. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Spares are good to have if you use the car frequently or if you know someone else who lives near you and you swap 'em out :whistle:.

We have 157 k miles on our 2010 Prius II and we log 350-500 miles a week on it;). Sitting idle for a cleaning doesn't work, so the spare made sense. Now I have one for sharing:)!

Buying a new one is not worth the investment. A salvage yard part can be cleaned and be functional.

That's my $0.02 anyway(y).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You mean like these?

upload_2017-6-21_18-51-2.png

Is it all 10 mm size, or?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I forget the size off the top of my head (it's been a long week at work), but it should be in the repair manual;). I believe they are either 10 or 12 mm.

But the ones in the picture would work wonders(y).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think you can get them with 10 at one end, 12 at the other (y)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Like Ray's, my cooler wasn't completely clogged and water flowed through it (168K miles). I actually used thicker wire, 16 gauge galvanized steel that I happened to have, to poke through each passageway. To get that to work, I had to thrust the wire in and out of each passageway under running water until it went all the way through to the other side. The 16 gauge wire is stiff enough that you can push against it.

There are 5 rows of something like 12-14 (I didn't count exactly) passageways. You can get most of them from the side with the larger hole. The holes are offset, such that you won't be able to get all the passageways from one side. However, the two openings are offset in different directions, so the passageways that you can't reach from one side, you'll be able to reach from the other side. You will have to bend the wire a quite a bit to get into those end passageways though. I'm sure Danlatu's method of 20 gauge copper wire spun on a drill would work to open those passageways too, but I didn't have that wire or a working drill sitting around.

After poking wire through all the holes, I would hit the cooler passageways with some water pressure. I actually soaked it in solvent first, but if I were to do this again, I'd see what would come out with water pressure first, then soak in solvent. The water pressure from my kitchen sink faucet (with the flow restrictor) wasn't strong enough to do much until I unscrewed the pull-out end, and just used the hose end. Then carbon chunks started flushing out. WP_20170610_15_15_13_Pro.jpg

An adjustable nozzle on a garden hose would be good too. A pressure washer would probably be too much and dangerous.

Then plug one end of the cooler, fill with your choice of solvent (I used Purple Power based on recommendations here), plug the other end, and let soak several hours or overnight. I plugged the ends with disposable gloves (doubled over as many times as necessary) and appropriately sized sockets:

WP_20170610_15_07_32_Pro.jpg

Not sure it helped much, but while the cooler was soaking, I'd occasionally run hot water from the tap through the coolant holes to heat the whole thing up, with the idea that it would help speed up the solvent action. It's fun to see how quickly the whole thing heats up anyway.

After soaking, hit the cooler passageways with water pressure again, and then check your work. You might need to poke through any passageways that you might have missed and then do some more soaking and water pressure. When I was done, my EGR cooler was literally as clean as new. I'd be hesitant about leaving visible deposits in the passageways, even if you can see through the cooler, because carbon will build up on that faster than on a clean surface.

I'll differ from Ray and say don't hesitate if you don't have someone to help. I did it without help, and can't imagine how someone else would help rather than get in the way.

A deep 12 mm socket will work as well as ratcheting wrenches for those back nuts. At least that's what I used (Stanley socket).

#48 Lightning Racer, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. Jkan2001

Jkan2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The inverter on the car I'm looking at was just change under the 15 year unlimited mile warranty but the hybrid batteries are still original. How long do the batteries last before they crap out? Any other big ticket $$$ items that I need to consider?

Is the cooler you guys are talking about the same thing as cleaning the EGR? How hard is it to remove this cooler from the car for cleaning? Is it an every 100k item?

My goal was to buy a cheap car that I don't have to mess with regularly except oil changes but if it's easy to clean the EGR every 100k miles I don't mind turning a few wrenches.

#49 Jkan2001, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  10. Jkan2001

Jkan2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is this the battery maintainer you're referencing? What does it do, plug in and charge the cells?

Also is there any way to see the health of the hybrid batteries when buying a used Prius?

Prolong Battery Systems. Extending the life of your hybrid. – Hybrid Automotive

jeff652 and Raytheeagle like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, that's the one, and no really good way to test the battery. they can check the cell voltage under load, but that doesn't mean one won't go out of parameters in a few months.

12. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That's it(y).

What @jeff652 offers is a "grid charging " system that allows you to charge and recondition the complete HV pack while it is in the car:).

This makes the process easy and simple where a non-electrically inclined person can handle the job;).

I have done 1 top end balance and 1 two cycle reconditioning. I have seen better battery life and a slight uptick in mpg.

Hope that helps(y).

13. Jkan2001

Jkan2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for all the advice. I ended up buying a Silver 2010 Prius 4 tonight with 135K miles. Two owners, clean carfax, oil changed every 5-7k miles with Mobil 1 synthetic. The power inverter was just changed under warranty but the batteries are original.

Everything works, and got 56 mpg in the city on test drive, 50 mpg on highway going 70 mph. Got it for $5,200.

How long do the original shocks, brake pads and rotors last? I was going to tackle them first.

Also the engine bay is pretty dirty. Is it safe to spray some degreaser and power wash it with the car completely off or is that big no no with the hybrid battery packs etc in there?

breakfast likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Greasy or just dusty? I'm always inclined to just brush and use boa duster, then maybe wet dry vacuum a bit, Then the leaf blower, hehe.

I've managed to keep ours eerily clean with just this, but might be tougher if it's fallen behind.

15. Jkan2001

Jkan2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Mostly dirt but maybe a little grease mixed in. I don't think it was leaking any oil etc. I would just spray away but the big silver electrical box with "HIGH VOLTAGE" yellow warning sticker made me think twice.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah try brush/vac/blow first. Seriously, our's looks showroom new, never needed to do much, just kept on top of it.

One thing, I pushed a couple of pieces of plumbing pipe insulation tubing, onto the seams along the edges of the hatch opening. This was initially to kinda contain the engine heat better. But, I suspect it reduces air flow enough, that not much dust comes in. I did monitor engine temps for a few years with ScanGauge, and never had overheating.

IMG_7021.JPG

MilkyWay and Raytheeagle like this.
  17. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For 2010-2011, one would require navigation to get the 7" MFD. It's a DVD-based system. It's the only way to get a backup camera and bluetooth streaming audio.

It was optional on Three, Four and Five.

A 2012-2015, all trims get a MFD of some sort with bluetooth handsfree calling AND bluetooth audio streaming. A Prius Three and higher come with navigation and backup camera. BUT there were two types that were offered:

The base navigation is offered with a 6.1" Display Audio System by Harmon Kardon. It has Garmin-like graphics and user interface. (well mostly a blue coloured interface). it works differently from traditional Toyota navigation.

Optional navigation on the Four (Deluxe Solar Roof Package) and Five (Advance Technology Package) add a 7" high resolution screen with split-screen capability and a HDD-based navigation system. This is Toyota's proprietary system (made by Denso). It has your typical Toyota white background for the map (black at night).

Yes.

2010-2011: No MFD (just your standard radio head unit from the 90s/2000s). If you get navigation, you get a 7" MFD with DVD-based navigation

2012-2015: 6.1" Display Audio System as standard equipment (slightly lower resolution imo than the 2010-2011 MFD). Navigation is standard on Three, Four and Five. Premium HDD navigation with a higher resolution 7" MFD is optional on Four and Five.

19. RyanM

RyanM Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My 2010 barely consumes any oil at speeds under 65mph. Once you start going 70+ then it will do about a quart in 5k miles.

242,000 miles on it (390,000 kms)

20. princessprius

princessprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I traded a '10 (trim 3 or III) with optional nav for a '13 (trim 4 nav included) and the newer car is way better.
    Both were bought new, from the same dealer.
    Issues I had with the '10 were 1) the braking system and 2) driver seat (dis)comfort.
    1) The braking system felt dangerous to me, if I braked hard-ish on an uneven/rough surface, like train tracks or pavement in a work zone, it felt like I was sliding on ice. It seemed to take a longer time to stop than it should also. I learned to plan for things like train tracks, but couldn't plan for everything. Had some scary close calls, but no wrecks. Complained to the dealer several times, they claimed they drove it each time and it was "working as intended", the software update didn't help.
    2) Driver's seat was very uncomfortable and my legs would get stiff and sore on even a one hour drive, longer drives were very painful. Lucky for me, hubby drove the long trips, didn't bother him much. I'm short, maybe that has something to do with it.

Happy to report, that both issues are better in my '13, but note that I went up a trim level to get the power seats, which made a HUGE improvement in comfort, they have more ways to adjust than the manual.

The braking is still a bit weird, but no longer feels dangerous. Now I believe it's working as intended.

Other differences; the nav is different, maps are in color after the refresh, there also seems to be something different (better) about the handling since the refresh but I'm sorry, I can't be more descriptive. Also, my '10 seemed like a lot of the interior plastic was squeaky.

I would definitely recommend you get a '12 and spring for something with the power driver's seat unless she's tall.