1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 radiator and condenser cooling assembly replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by lukeb88, Jul 12, 2022.

1. lukeb88

lukeb88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When turning on my AC and my compressor cooling fan kicks on I get a buzzing noise(sounds like the bearings on the fan are going out) I ordered a new radiator and condenser fan cooling assembly. I searched the forms and YouTube for a video on replacing the radiator and condenser cooling assembly but couldn’t find anything besides a YouTube video for the Gen 2. Does anyone have a link for this replacement? If not I was going to make a YouTube video on for future People to reference.

Attached Files:

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    When you do these kinds of things you'll probably find that making a video is probably kind of pointless there's not much to removing the fans they're plastic a couple of screws and clips generally they lean back and lift up what have you I don't put back on the factory type so I don't have that worry mine mount differently spin differently and are made by a different company that just makes cooling fans not that any of that matters but by all means yeah make a video and set up your camera and your light and do the thing's really not much to it it's just kind of leans out and a couple plugs come undone and there you go. And good luck

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I looked into the repair manual procedure for my Gen 3 and it didn't look anything like "just kind of leans out". The fans attach to a shroud that's open across the top but not across the bottom. The removal instructions have "remove radiator assembly" as step 1. "Remove radiator assembly" has 19 steps.

I decided I don't really mind the way my fans sound yet.

If I ever decide I do mind, I will poke around some to see if I can sneak them out in fewer steps. But I haven't tried yet.

lukeb88 likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I had mine up and mostly out all the engine was out they don't make enough noise yet in my gen 3 either with 200,000 to worry with but when they do I usually just put the specs back right on the radiator and then stick the circular shroud right back on over the new spax fans.

5. enriquejfr

enriquejfr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The ac in m Prius 2010 160k quit blowing cold air. I assumed there was a freon leak andI took it to a garage where they claim that they can fix AC but they told me that the compressor in this Prisu models is connected to the electric high voltage system and that they will not touch it. So I went to the Toyota dealer in Winnipeg and they found that the condensor was leaking and needs to be replaced. However, they claim that the part is on back order, it will take monthts to arrive if they get one. Around 500 canadian for the part plus close to 600 tmore for work, yhrn freon and so on, pro blaby around 1600 with taxed in total o or more. Then, when I go online I can find many used or non oem condensors for much less than half the quoted price, but the dealer will not install anyting that is not oem, as it is always the case. My question is if the issue with the pump being electrical, highg voltage accodring to the first mechanic, makes it impossible to take the car to a regular mechanic who is no so against installng post/marekt, non oem parts. Any suggeston welcome..

6. enriquejfr

enriquejfr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The fact of being an electtic air conditioner has some problems too. The aric onditioner in m Prius 2010 160k quit blowing cold air. I assumed there was a freon leak andI took it to a garage where they claim that they can fix AConditioner but they told me that the compressor in this Prisu models is connected to the electric high voltage system and that they will not touch it. So I went to the Toyota dealer in Winnipeg and they found that the condensor was leaking and needs to be replaced. However, they claim that the part is on back order, it will take monthts to arrive if they get one. Around 500 canadian for the part plus close to 600 tmore for work, freon and so on, problaby around 1600 with taxed in total o or more. However, when I go online I can find many used or non oem condensors for much less than half the quoted price avaialble, but the dealer will not install anyting that is not oem, as it is always the case. My question is if the issue with the pump being electrical, highg voltage accodring , makes it impossible to take the car to a regular mechanic, not a dealer, who is no so against installng post/marekt, non oem parts. Any suggeston welcome..

7. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    When replacing the condenser (cooler condenser assembly), there shouldn’t be any high-voltage work involved; at least, I didn’t see any in a glance through the Repair Manual (more info) procedures. The only specialized equipment needed would be for HFC-134a (R134a) refrigerant recovery, charging, and leak detection, and any automotive air conditioning shop should have this.

Because the car has an electric compressor, the oil mixed with the refrigerant is a special type (ND-OIL 11), and it’s important to avoid cross-contamination with conventional compressor oils, which lack the same insulating properties. This isn’t a new issue, and any A/C shop that works on hybrid vehicles should know about it.

In principle, if the car has a millimeter wave radar sensor assembly behind the emblem, you’re supposed to adjust it after removing and reinstalling the front bumper, since this could affect the sensor’s alignment. If needed, this is probably a task for a dealer or a body shop that has the radar reflector set and a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system.

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In the gen 2, the A/C inverter is in the main inverter, so 3 phase AC goes to the A/C pump.
    In the gen 3, the A/C inverter is within the A/C pump housing, so 201v DC goes to the A/C pump.

So the answer changes for different generations, Toyota learns as it goes along.

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Jerking you're chain . The cooler for the AC has hath nothing to do with electricity except fans are connected to the cooler 12V I mite add . This is were what you do not know kills you . In wallet. Any one can work on . What folks are trying to suck you into . Is the belief is that lectricity . Is dangerous and is specialized work as you can't see it . Same with a fart buddy. And being in that great white norf is not helping your case at all.

#9 Tombukt2, Oct 15, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
  10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The AC orange plug has a clip to undo it. Wella lectricity gone. Any private garage should hook you up. With whatever parts ya got. If you were easy coast USA I could send you all up n down the coast to various shops. Some mite do while you wait if ya get they're early nuff.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, if you wanted, you could (a) remove the service plug in back, (b) wait 10 minutes or more for inverter capacitors to discharge, (c) unplug the orange connector from the A/C compressor, (d) wrap the cable end well in plastic tape or tape a heavy rubber glove over it, etc., (e) reinstall the service plug in back, and then go back to this shop and say "guess what? now the compressor is not connected to the high voltage system, would you please replace it for me?".

But they wouldn't be able to check their work or recharge with refrigerant without plugging it back in first, so if they're not willing to do that, there isn't much point.

12. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yep You're like four bolts and two fitting on the screws away from having it changed socket 12 mm or 14 maybe 17 and an adjustable wrench something like that and you're out of there in like 45 minutes if you're real slow and have never done much of anything it's really quite obvious then you could just reverse the process with the new doodad compressor bolt that all up put new o-rings on the fittings tighten those up plug the mess in yourself drive it to him and tell them now it needs to be vacuumed down and gassed up No need to unplug or plug up or do anything but flip a switch in the car I imagine after their gauges are connected and they vacuumed down and what have you they wouldn't need to worry with any power

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is there only one independent A/C shop in Winnipeg?

It seems like you ought to be able to find one that isn't leery of working on a Prius A/C. That way, you'd also be more likely to have found someone who understands the things that are different about it, like the need for ND-oil 11.

It sounds like a hassle to drive to a shop first to have the refrigerant recovered, then drive home to change the compressor yourself, then drive back to a shop to have the refrigerant charged.

14. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It just leaked out sir . Whoops it sposed to be non depleting .boink.