1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 Reliability across models

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Kjs, May 6, 2023.

1. Kjs

Kjs New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi -
    New here, and trying to educate myself on all the pros and cons of Prius specifically Gen 3 (2010-2015) variants as I'm in market for new used car, as at this time it's what my budget might generally afford.

I'm confused about generation reliability maybe someone can help clarify:

Hanging 'round the Gen 3 Prius C threads, folks seem to be generally raving about the reliability of their 3rd Gen Prii and how that's the best generation, then when I'm over looking through Gen 3 Prius V the mood changes considerably to stay away avoid Gen 3 at all costs due to head gasket failure, brake booster, EGR, and maybe some other things too.

Did something about the builds vary in gen 3 between the Prius C and Prius V model, so that a gen 3 C could have a different track record than a Gen 3 V? Or is Gen 3 actually lousy/risky across all models of Prii during those years?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Gen 3 and Prius v shared the same 1.8 litre engine.

The Prius c used the older (and robust) 1.5 litre engine from the Gen 2 Prius but with all the updates of the Gen 3 Prius (such as Exhaust Heat Recovery System and Exhaust Gas Recirculation) to enhance fuel economy and reduce emissions.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Gen 3 is a general term for the regular prius model from 2010-2015 model years. Prius C and Prius v are both different models to the Gen 3 cars.

So you have to be specific at which car you're looking at, because they all have their issues. Head gasket problem is mainly related to the 1.8L engine in the Prius v and the regular Prius

4. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    No it's not. It's the least reliable. The only Gen 3 you might touch is the 2015 but why get that when you can just get a 2016 Gen for and not have to deal with the crappy inverter converter and ABS accumulator

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    What you want is the Prius c with the one NZ engine at least in my eyes anyway It's essentially a modern generation too. Point blank The Gen 3 somebody's going to be replacing engines fixing head gaskets amongst the normal costly things of Prius ownership brake pump things like that. Or you'll be taking the losses of said things however

6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bookmark mendels signature links then figure out how much free time you have, lastly buy the car.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The three Prius models you mention did not iterate into new generations at the same time as each other, so you cannot make direct comparisons.

Only one generation of the Prius c was ever sold in the USA. Same for the v. Meanwhile we're up to 5 for the regular Prius.

Pay attention to the age of the posts you're reading. This forum has been around a long time. It's possible to read 8 and 10 year old posts about 3rd generation cars describing automotive nirvana, and then posts from this year describing apocalyptic meltdowns and they're talking about the self-same cars.

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  8. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Very risky. 210,000 miles on mine w/low to mid 60 mpgs. Well self maintained.

Paladain55 and taxidriver50005 like this.
  9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The Gen 3 isn't really risky depends where you stand when you buy it If you buy it with a lot of miles on it and it's just been driven by most Prius people that's how it goes It's a low maintenance car you don't take it in and have any work done till it's making a noise or lights are on so people are driving then you come along at $204,000 miles and want to buy the car because it's for sale they tell you all we've been driving it all these years has been a wonderful car four sets of tires etc etc never had anything done there's your clue right there If you buy this car you're going to be fixing a head gasket quite probably and in my world I don't waste time with that you're going to be replacing an engine maybe even a transmission to get the two pieces similar mileage so you can go your 400k that's about it and then all the trim that falls apart the door panels the armrest in the door panels cave in stuff falls in the holes there vibrates and rattles and on and on and on or you could just find a generation two that's been well cared for by probably some older folks and be done with it or by the Prius c which is basically a generation two with all the cheap trim that the generation three stepped up to if you will A real generation 2 will have a lot less rattles clicks and noises It's a more solid vehicle if you will.

10. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's no such thing as a "Gen 3 Prius C," and that seems to me to be at the root of your confusion. The "c" model was a completely different model, considerably smaller than the "regular" Prius of any generation. The "v" was identical to the regular 3rd-generation Prius in most respects, aside from the wagon-like configuration of the rear part of the body. It had pretty much all the same vices and virtues as regular 3rd-generation Prii. It's roomier, but a little thirstier and a little slower due to its greater weight.

11. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you had to buy one of the three, each with 150,000 miles and apparently in similar condition and price, you might have the lowest overall cost of ownership with the Prius c. Possibly $5k-$10k lower. Any of them will cost you a hybrid battery sometime during your watch.

I would agree a gen4 would be better in almost every respect.

12. Paladain55

Paladain55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Gen 3 needs the EGR cleaning which everyone hates. It can be expensive if you can't diy. But a friend of mine a year or two ago asked me if it would be smart to buy a gen 3 for his wife. I just told him yup, change the oil every 5k and unplug the egr connector. He has been in love with this thing since the day he bought it. He is also a pretty heavy mechanic and now loves to drive it to pick up parts and things in it instead of his truck now. lol
    I really wouldn't hesitate now that we know if you keep the EGR in check the car doesn't have head gasket problems. Brake boosters fail here and there but I think we overestimate it because we have so many folks coming here to tell us about it. Its not as common as we think. Whereas in real life if you don't keep up with the EGR they pop head gaskets and are all over facebook marketplace being sold as is by an poor owner who didn't know any better.

Tbkilb01 likes this.