1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 Reliability at 130,000 miles in a HIGH road salt area

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Michael Wood, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Michael Wood

Michael Wood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I'm pretty impressed with this 2015 Prius at 130,000 miles. I've had no warranty repairs and no recalls. I did a brake job, replaced the 12v battery, and replaced a few light bulbs. This thing is a little beast - it still feels like a new car. Upgrading to the fake leather is a good investment in a Prius.

It seems like those plastic panels protecting the undercarriage......the ones I've loathed since the first oil change.....do a great job keeping road salt away from vulnerable parts, so corrosion hasn't been an issue so far. I guess I'll go ahead and replace the CVT fluid with Toyota WS ATF, and do a drain and refill on the cooling system. I actually installed a tow hitch to pull a little garden trailer to the dump, and I'm careful about keeping the weight down. It's no heavier than 3 passengers.

At this point I don't see any fall-off in the performance of the Hybrid Battery. Even with low gas prices, this car has saved me a lot of money. I bought it new and financed it at 0% and it saved me about $200 a month in gas right from the start. Now it's paid off and I'm tempted to buy a new one, because I can still get a lot on trade or sale. But I guess the right thing to do is just keep driving it and rack up the cheap miles. But I'm not 100% sure - there's a point where you get maximum value on a trade - it's a tough decision.

The 2015 Prius has been a GREAT car - no complaints. And upgrading to the version III (equivalent to today's XLE) was a good investment. The heated seats and leatherette were worth the extra money - I'd do that again. It's hard to find an XLE in my area without AWD. AWD would be great in the snow, but I'd rather not have the extra weight, complexity, or cost. Front wheel drive get's the job done fine.

#1 Michael Wood, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great! Time to do the EGR Circuit Cleaning! :)

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are advantages and disadvantages to gen4. besides the economics, you have to weigh it all out

Michael Wood likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Include the intake manifold in EGR cleaning. (y)

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Statement is incorrect.

6. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    AWD version of Prius added 2 electric motor and is about 150lbs heavier; but I don't think it effect fuel economy much if any, and it's not all that complicated of a system just a bit heavier..
    However, I do have to agree that AWD version doesn't really offer the typical AWD functionality, so it's kinda pointless to own an AWD ..

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#6 ttou68, Jul 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Scarface2005 and Michael Wood like this.
  7. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The intake manifold is part of the EGR Circuit

Scarface2005 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. Michael Wood

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Thanks for the heads-up on the EGR system. That wasn't on my radar, but it is now.

9. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    While some do not like the Soft Tex seats, I think they are.....priceless!

Also agree the Prius are excellent in snow.

Scarface2005 and Michael Wood like this.
  10. Blue Prius2015

Blue Prius2015 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey to Boston from way out west...in the Berkshires. You wrote:
    Having sent away for good our old pickup truck, I'm interested in your choice of tow hitch and that little garden trailer. Might you advise on choices, attachments, lights...all that? Also that trailer, where from, etc.

Thanks for the great review of a 2015 Prius. I'm hoping while catering to it. Cheers!

Michael Wood likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm on the west coast of Canada, relatively mild/wet winters, but the roads do get a fair bit of salt. Maybe that combo is especially detrimental, moisture AND salt? Anyway: I found rust blooms very fast on suspension components (especially welded joints), and bolts. Also, the rear solid axle has trailing arms that hinge behind plastic panel that seem to hnder more than help. When I took the panels off for a look the retention bolts were nearly seized, pretty rusty. Any bolts like that I take out I oil-soak before reinstall.

I periodically, say every 2~3 years, brush-on some rust preservative coating. I've pretty much settled on boiled linseed oil, full strength. It seals well, stops rust, lasts well too. I'll do the rear one day, take a break, do the front another day. Raise either end, settle on safety stands, remove wheels, remove some plastic shields, clean and coat everything trouble prone.

This is how it looked, after 4~5 years ownership, no attention paid:

upload_2020-7-17_6-51-42.png

And this is later, a while after having boiled linseed oil coating, maybe 6 months, a year:

upload_2020-7-17_6-50-29.png

#11 Mendel Leisk, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  12. Michael Wood

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I bought CURT hitch model 11276 on Amazon - I got it for under $100 delivered. There's a Reese hitch on Amazon right now for under $100 that looks great. make sure it fits your model and year. It was pretty easy to install myself without jacking the vehicle. I needed help holding and maneuvering the hitch into place - 2 person job. There are several youtube videos on how to do it. I didn't do any electrical work - my trailer has lights but I don't use them - I only use it during the day. I bought the trailer at Lowes for $650 bucks. I've had it for 5 or 6 years and it's been great - no problems. Good luck!

-

Scarface2005 and Blue Prius2015 like this.
  13. Michael Wood

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    That is awesome! I recently had a conversation with someone about Jeep's and their susceptibility to extreme rust and salt corrosion - even on the frame. This guy talked about putting used motor oil in a spray bottle and coating everything with that. He had success with that method.

But I like your method much better. I'm going to rotate my tires soon, and when I do I will give everything the linseed oil treatment. Thanks for the tip!

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  14. Blue Prius2015

Blue Prius2015 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for reply on trailer info, Michael.

15. sadie72

sadie72 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just got a 24847 Draw-Tite - $104.98 installed
    This is just the start.
    Gave the guy a Zip of weed to install

Majafamily likes this.
  16. Scarface2005

Scarface2005 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    AWD comes in handy in snowy California because they won’t let you past the chain checkpoint without installing chains, unless you’re in a 4x4/awd.
    I agree the Prius is great in the snow. I have a 2012 and a 2017 plug in. The 4th gen awd version is a blessing, because I tell the checkpoint that mine is the awd version;-). Even though it’s only 2wd. My ‘17 does have some function where it shifts power to whatever front wheel needs it, whereas my ‘12 is only powering the front passenger side wheel.
    But, in real 30”+ storms, I’m rolling in a 4x4 99 Montero NOT SPORT, my ‘17 is parked in the flatlands, and my ‘12 is snowed in in my carport, where it acts as my generator in case the power goes out. I have a 2,000w inverter and plug in my furnace, lights, router, and tv to the Prius. With the plug in battery fully charged, I can go about 7 hours before the engine even turns on. Btw, a “full charge” is 9.0 miles these days.
    so yeah, the Prius is a great winter, snow, and mountain car.

17. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Can pick up truck owners please chime in.