1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 Rough Transition from EV to ICE

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by kevelev, Apr 8, 2023.

1. kevelev

kevelev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2011 Prius 1.8 with 185,000 miles. I've noticed that the transition from the EV to the ICE seems a bit rougher. It's been a gradual increase in how rough the IC engine starts. It runs fine once it's running. Just the startup is rough. This is different than the knocking issue that happens once in a while on cold mornings. I did tear down the intake and EGR pipe and cleaned those and also replaced the air filter and PCV. I did not clean the EGR cooler though because I couldn't get to where it mounts up to the exhaust manifold. It also has the original spark plugs. I'm just wondering why its a bit rougher only on startup, not idle or normal use. I changed the transmission fluid at about 110,000 miles. So I'm thinking its either sparkplugs, EGR cooler, or engine mounts. Any other ideas?

bisco likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    This is exactly how our 13 did when the head gasket started We noticed a little stutter when the car transition from something to something whether it's ice to electric electric to ice however you want to look at it It was very mild at first makes you think there's an ignition problem or something like that and that's the beginning of that whole business starting that stutter is the beginning of the whole center section of your engine possibly getting tainted so be aware of that if you're doing this regularly you either want to stop or be ready to replace the engine when you finally discover and decided that the head gasket is definitely blown or what have you by then it will be pound foolish to try to put a head gasket on it I would say don't do it You can give it a whirl and see but you may be buying an engine soon afterwards and then you have money tied up in the head gasket job and then you have all these extra parts around after you do finally break down and change the motor that you have to deal with I try to look at all the options when we're doing these things

3. kevelev

kevelev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wouldn't a head gasket failure mean the coolant would get depleted? It hasn't ever gone down in years.

4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    With that question, If I were you, I’d run from this forum.

5. Lares_Mat

Lares_Mat Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm sure, it was Grit's joke ;)

But, yes, your question is difficult to swallow ;)

The coolant level in the reservoir may or may not have something to do with head gasket failure.

Read more about it, and you will understand, why Grit joked this way ;)

Mat