1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

gen 3 steering feel mods

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by NoInstructions, Jul 25, 2020.

1. NoInstructions

NoInstructions Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sigh, writing this a second time since the first one disappeared.

So I saw the post on pulling the power steering fuse and how much it improves steering feel. I tried it, and man, it is much nicer to be able to feel the wheels on the road and the resistance when turning. When going under 5mph It makes for a good workout, but really sucks if you need to make a quick move or do a 3 point turn. I found an article on tricking the sensors into decreasing the power to the steering. It's for the first generation prius, but looking at the manual, the third generation has the same 2 torque sensors varying form 0 to 5v, and the same voltage lines.

The power steering control module is under the dash, and quite a pain to get to. But after disconnecting the battery and 15 minutes of pulling off plastic bits, I finally reached the power steering ECU.
    (disconnect the battery and wait 10 minutes before unplugging the yellow airbag wires)

I followed the article, using a 5k ohm pot between the positive and negative, and a 1.8k ohm pot between the output of the first and the input from the sensor. Output of this pot (the wiper) then goes into the power steering ECU. However, once I plugged everything in and turned the car on, it didn't work as expected. Once I turned the pot past 3% (so basically no resistance between the original input and the output), steering cuts out and it gives me the error C1513: too much deviation between the two torque sensors.

I measured the resistance on the 1.8k ohm pot, and it turns out there is a huge jump in resistance after turning it about 3%. I'm going to get a 10k ohm 10 turn pot, which should hopefully fix this. If not, both torque sensor values may need to be modified for this to work.

People on hot rodder forums have used gen 2 prius systems in classic cars, since they don't need a CAN connection, and default to slightly heavier steering. so I tried disconnecting the two CAN bus wires, but this just caused the power steering to turn off completely. The voltage on the 5v lines also dropped to zero, so clearly, this version needs CAN connection.

Sorry, I can't insert a link until I have 4 posts, just look up 'autospeed modify electric power steering'

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 NoInstructions, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Vman455, bisco and PriusCamper like this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe different spec pots? But in general trying to trick the system takes lots of trial and error. Or... What if you simply installed a switch that shuts off power steering when You're driving faster than 6 miles an hour? And because regenerative breaking shuts down at 6mph you could use that shut down signal in your switch that to turns power steering back on soon as you're going slower than 6mph?

3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    mmmm imagine the power steering shutting off going 60mph????

If you play with fire,you're going to get burnt... :)

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Before I was able to go in for the service-campaign replacement of my Gen 1 steering rack, that happened to me several times. I would have to be on a long enough drive where the ECU would log enough torque-sensor errors to cut out, and that usually happened on the freeway.

Because the assist already is calculated based on speed and tapers to almost nothing at cruise, the effect is ... you don't notice when it cuts out on the freeway.

The first time I would usually notice would be stopping for gas or a meal, at the end of an exit ramp, having to make that right or left turn onto the street. Then I'd be like "whoof! well, I guess it cut out again."

PriusCamper likes this.
  5. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow!

You obviously didn't read original post or other posts similar to it very closely...

Doesn't do much for your credibility when you imply danger & risk to something you didn't even take the time to understand.

To be clear, your steering wheel is connected directly to the steering rack and wheels... Turning off the power steering is in no way a risk to your ability to steer and in fact if you're at a race track trying to improve your lap time it will give you more feedback and responsiveness with the power steering off.

However, if you're driving really slow or making a three point turn, or trying to parallel park and the power steering is off it's going to take all your strength just to turn the wheel.

So sometimes power steering is good and sometimes its not...

#5 PriusCamper, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    Threej likes this.
  6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't be so insecure and defensive...
    I was joking.... Didn't you notice the smiley face??????

Credibility on Prius Chat??? Please, that changes by the second.
    Race a Prius??? ha ha ha ha That's just funny!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:

7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The only way to settle this is for you and the other person to race your prius in a .25 mile straight way.

GG707 likes this.
  8. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't race my Prius... What's the point???
    Besides, it's already settled...

9. CT415

CT415 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Interesting!

10. NoInstructions

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I asked on an electronics discussion board and discovered that this is just an inherent effect of the signal into the ecu being part of a circuit, and eventually going to ground. To fix this, an amplifier needs to be used to isolate the output voltage from the circuit before it. I purchased an op-amp and set it up so there is no gain/amplification.
    Also, Instead of using a potentiometer to try to produce 2.5 volts, I decided to purchase a DC voltage regulator designed to output 2.5v

I hooked this all up and ran it, and it works much better. I can turn the regulator pot 2 turns (out of 10) before the steering detects something is wrong and shuts off. This happens because I am only modifying one of the signal wires, not both of them. When the signal from one differs too much from the other it shuts off. Interestingly, this only happens when the wheel is turned all the way until it stops. I'm guessing the sudden spike in force when you hit the end stop makes it easier for the ECU to realize the two signals are too far apart.

I may just keep it with the slightly improved steering feel, as this lets me feel when the wheels are going over uneven patches or pulling to one side, but doesn't increase the effort to turn the wheels when stopped by much. It's also a bit of a safety feature to have that second sensor as stock, so the EPS can always compare the two.

If you pull the power steering fuse, you'll notice that after about 20mph the steering wheel isn't even that hard to turn. Definitely want to be careful not to fool it too much, say getting the power steering assist to act the opposite way you turn the wheel.

11. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, impressed how you fixed that! Is there any chance using one signal and not the other can create and type of uneven mechanical wear over time?

12. NoInstructions

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I doubt there's any wear, as this is literally just spoofing the sensor values the computer sees, resulting in the computer giving slightly less power to the motors.

I have attached a circuit diagram below in case anyone is interested. I'm going to solder it together and test it some more.

Attached Files:

PriusCamper likes this.
  13. RMB

RMB Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Since not being all that Fast and not too Furious, in the Prius world, most drivers live their lives one gas tank at a time.:ROFLMAO:

14. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Tom’s Steering braces would have solved the steering feel and you B5C9F2C6-9A1F-4053-9B8E-10344C25CD7B.jpeg still keep your power steering!

15. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not being knowledgeable in this area, all I can say is be careful. The Prius steering unit is unique.

16. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Careful? Isn't that why we have these discussions in the first place? Encouraging you to read more... There's plenty to learn in this thread... Evidently Prius steering systems are popular in the hot rod crowd because you can operate them free of ECU wants/needs.

Threej likes this.
  17. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It’s like warning us careful when jacking the car up, don’t let it fall on us.