1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 to 4 engine swap failure

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by christian cox, Apr 17, 2022.

1. christian cox

christian cox Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    P261b

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For many folks, a P261B just indicates the pump has worn out, but Christian's situation is a little different, as the code seems to have been reported with more than one pump, and all this is happening in a car that had an engine swap done and also has other codes that suggest the wiring might not have come through the surgery perfectly.

There are other threads where Christian's on the track of diagnostic info for this specific situation.

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. christian cox

christian cox Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I checked all the wiring again and again it looks good. I unraveled it pretty much and found nothing. I checked voltages on the pump harness. Pos 0volts. Thin green wire 14.4volts, thin blue wire .03 volts. I tried jumping the pos and and it powered up the pump So at least I know the motor works. But it does really look like it’s an ECM problem and I’m kind of wondering if it’s the engine swap causing some kind of incompatibility with the ECM? I have no clue I think I’m just going to try a standalone water pump control unit so that way I could at least maybe drive it to the shop and they can look at it and tell me something new. Oh and I did a run techstream on it and I tried reprogramming the ECUs , health check and active test to run the pump but it would not run it and just came with the same code P261b. I’m thinking possibly an update for the ecm could be a solution ??

5. christian cox

christian cox Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It came with a 4 gen water pump and that would not work either but the motor will turn if you apply 12volts.

6. christian cox

christian cox Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    What year is your Prius? I’m wondering if different models have other types of ecu’s. Currently I’m still having a water pump problem. I bought the one the senior members here recommended which had good reviews all around but still the same. I checked wiring and it seemed good but the voltage readings seemed weird. First no power to the POS. NEG is good. 2 sensor wires blue .03v , then green 14.5v. I think the green wire is normal for voltage coming from dc/dc inverter but the tach wire is almost grounding out before the ecu can send the correct voltage to the pump motor. I’m wondering if there’s a grounding issue I missed but I’m not seeing it. I heard the fans kick on and swapped the relays but still nothing. How can the current not get signaled to the pump? If everything else is working then the main ground must be good. . IDK. MYSTERY

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The green wire is the tach wire. It is pulled up at the ECM end.

The skinny blue one is the control signal from the ECM to the pump, and is pulled up at the pump end (which can't happen if the pump has no power).

That's all been explained in other threads brought to your attention some number of times. There isn't any model year difference in the signaling between the ECMs and pumps.

You've made some measurements that seem to suggest a clear problem in powering the pump, the kind of problem where a person says "hmm, wonder why that is?" and continues with the meter and finds out. There's been a little more direction on that in one of your other threads on the same issue.

I'm still happy to keep trying to help, but paying attention and keeping the details straight need to be part of your end of the deal.

PriusCamper likes this.
  8. EH6TunerDaniel

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It could be a bad ECU or something, but its not the swap being incompatible. The ECU DOES NOT KNOW the engine isnt the factory one and all the sensors etc are the same.

PriusCamper likes this.
  9. christian cox

christian cox Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah the only reason I think that is because I read an article here Someone did a gen 3 engine swap and had similar issues and the dealer reprogram the computer and it worked, Also when I use techstream reprogram nothing seem to change the check engine light stay on my dash everything Stays the same stays so maybe the v16 I downloaded isnt working right I’m not sure it’s hard to say so many variables pop up and lead you down so many different avenues. Also I’m pressed for time I use my car for work and I have tried everything I can think of and having conversations with some people on this forum are like pulling teeth. You seem very helpful here and I appreciate your responses thank you. I want to look into the wiring I’m thinking that if there is an issue then it’s somewhere in the main fuse box somehow with its grounding and current is going to the relays I took the relays off and checked them both had the same amount of ohms resistance I think I am not really sure how to check that out somebody was talking to me about different pins . If I could find a picture diagram someplace where I could just stick my tester you know here and there and see what comes up that would be probably the best route for me. I actually have two cars gen 2 & 3. I realize that if I get my gen 2 up and running I will have a second car in case Gen 3 goes down again instead of driving my gas guzzling dodgeRam truck.

10. EH6TunerDaniel

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    See if you can swap ECUs and get the same or different issues. I dont think the ECU is paired or anything (I could be wrong) but if your ecu has an issue swapping ECUs should eliminate that.

Lol I have not even had my prius for 2 months and only the last month or so has it been running so not sure how helpful I can be so far.

#50 EH6TunerDaniel, May 4, 2022
    Last edited: May 4, 2022