Gen 3 Valve Seals - The Definitive Source of Oil Burning?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Pollymath, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Dilbone

Dilbone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just finished my HG 1,100 miles ago replacing the seals in the process.
    Even at 248k I wasn't using much oil before the work so I don't think I can contribute much to this convo. I was def less than a quart used in 5-6k which is remarkable really.
    At 1,100 miles now I'm looking like I'm maybe down a whisker on the dip stick so far...not much used at all. I'm guessing way less than a half a quart by my next oil change.

SM-G981V ?

ASRDogman likes this.
  2. rjparker

rjparker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Its pretty clear the piston rings are the number one cause of oil burning in 2010-2014 Prii. High rates of oil use is often seen in the 2012-14 as well, they are just newer with less reporting compared to the earlier models. Toyota acknowledged the problem and even changed rings free for the warranty period. Valve seals can be a problem in a variety of engines but is not a silver bullet for the gen3s.

I would not buy a used 2010-14 gen3 unless $5k in repairs have been done or you are ok with doing same down the road.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    o_O

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Same! I’ve noticed gen2’s are going for the same price, and sometimes more than a high mileage equivalent gen3 in the used market.

Gen2 isn’t perfect, and has its problems like the other older car. But definitely more robust.

tvpierce and mikey_t like this.