1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 vs. Prime and Regen

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by Paul Galati, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Paul Galati

Paul Galati Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a couple questions about the Gen 3 and Prime that hopefully can be answered as the Prime will probably be the next purchase once the '05 Sienna retires. Really wish there would be a Prime V, but....

In the Gen 3 on my commute to work I descend about 2 miles and use the cruise to regulate my speed downhill, usually between 35-38mph. The regen bar goes from 1/3 to not quite 1/2 to the left during parts of the descent. Is it normal for the Gen 3 to release the cruise control at some point regardless of where the battery indicator might be? Sometimes I can begin the downhill on 2 or 3 bars and regen to 6 or 7 but it seems the car lets go of cruise near the bottom. Is that a heat related issue? When I feel the release begin, the car begins picking up speed so I apply the brake and the regen guage moves to the left but the car does not slow down much or at all. Once the regen guage is full left, then the car starts to slow down. I must be on brake pads at that point. The ICE stays off the entire time. Normal?

In the Prius Prime at what speeds can you change its various drive modes? Use the Appalachian mountains as the terrain example. If you are cruising at 65-70mpg in HV mode, can you "shift" into EV mode to climb the 3 mile hill on battery power alone, then use cruise or B mode to regen down the other side? I have no experience in the PUP versions so I am not sure how the car treats that extra battery storage.

I can't seem to locate any youtube videos that do into detail about regen in the

Thanks for your time.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've never heard of cruise releasing, but maybe you're at the point where b comes into play. i would think the battery would fill first.
    yes, you can change modes anytime on prime, ev is available up to 84mph.

3. E-GINO

E-GINO Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the same questions for the Prime use on the hills, but I can easily answer for you Gen 3 which I owned for 7 years. Your Prius cruise control works correctly: during the first part of descent, HSD uses both MG1 and ICE work to keep the Prius within the speed limit set with the cruise control, one charging the Traction Battery, the other one dissipating kinetic energy. When the Prius TB is around 80% SOC, MG1 stops charging it, then, depending on the slope gradient, the ICE negative work may be not enough to moderate the speed. Of course, when you depress the brake pedal, the CC is automatically disconnected.