1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 3 vs Prime. Which to buy?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by CTorPrius?, Nov 24, 2016.

1. CTorPrius?

CTorPrius? Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at getting either a '17 Prime Advanced or a used '13/'14/'15 Prius Four or Five Or Five AT.

The user Prii are around the 16k mark and the Prime is double that. Thoughts or suggestions?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    two completely different cars. without knowing your desires, needs and financial position, it is hard to advise.

3. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Agreed, they are quite a bit different.

If you want some electric range, the absolute best fuel and electric efficiency, better handling, peppier feeling acceleration, a more refined ride and arguably more comfortable seats, a huge touch screen that you use for everything, and can afford a new car you can probably get some good deals and tax incentives on a prime.

On the other hand if you want to save money, like a car with a lot of cargo space and nooks and crannies to put things in, along with seating for 5, a flat cargo floor in the hatch (no lip to get things in and out), a spare tire, and nice buttons for audio and ac controls with some on the steering wheel instead of touch screen ones, go for the gen 3.

CTorPrius? and bisco like this.
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...seems funny new Gen4 is not a candidate also. Or used 2015 PiP would give you all the space benefits of the Gen3 with plug-in flavor.

Prodigyplace and Kramah313 like this.
  5. CTorPrius?

CTorPrius? Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Dislike gen 4 design. Also, gen 3 is getting cheap enough to consider. 2015 PiP could be interesting, but have not seen a certified one of those.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There is not a lot of difference between the gen 4 and the prime? Yeah, I know there are some exterior tweaks. Inside the 5th seat deleted, hatch floor raised, spare tire a distance memory.

Purely my chauvinistic thought: I'd get the 2015 level 5.

CTorPrius? likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would try to get a PiP if you can as they *may* be closer in value to a regular Prius but of course there are fewer examples of PiPs available. You can just treat the PiP as an expanded Prius - More battery for crawling in traffic or running the A/C before the engine comes on (vs. an actual PHV).

CTorPrius? likes this.
  8. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Driving in all-electric mode is very quiet and pleasant. It also cuts down on trips to the gas station, which is very convenient. But of course you still have a gasoline engine for long trips and whenever you forgot to plug in. So I would go with the Prius Prime, if you park in a garage with an electrical outlet. I wouldn't bother with the fancy 220V electric hook up, just the 110V that comes with the car.

CTorPrius? likes this.
  9. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To drive 100 miles it would take about $4 worth of electricity at 12c kwh so it's about the same in gas costs currently for the Prius. Plus you can to deal with more expensive batteries that could go bad in the future on a low demand car.

Used Prius V with tech package might be worth it if you do a lot of highway driving.