1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 4 12 Volt battery.

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by padroo, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A Li jump pack has to be charged to be useful. But it tends to sit in a car unused for a long time. There is a good chance that the Li battery is discharged when I really need it. So I decided to invest in a supercapacitor starter instead. About the same price as Li battery based jump pack, but I don't have to worry about charging it which is a big plus.

alanclarkeau and jerrymildred like this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I charge my Noco about once a year whether it needs it or not. And it hasn't needed it yet after over two years. I keep checking it about once every 1-2 months thinking, "Now can I charge it?" Nope still 100%. So far I've started a Gen 3 Prius, an old Ford Tempo, a humongous Ram pickup with a V8, and my wife's 2017 Prius.

Mambo Dave and Salamander_King like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Clore (makes jump packs) will send you an email reminder to charge every 3 months. Along with new product links of course, but hey.

jerrymildred and Salamander_King like this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I noticed that a Li battery charge seems to remain fairly stable over time for many of those Li battery-operated devices if it has no drain at all. I keep an emergency old cell phone in our cars. It is usually turned off, and the battery stay fully charged for months or even years if I don't use it. I also have two Li jump packs, one in our PathHy and one in my son's car.

The problem is that it does not get used often enough to be proactive about checking or changing it. I tend to fully charge it and stick it in the car and forget about it. In fact, the Li jump pack in our PathHy has not been checked since I put it in the back compartment almost 2 years ago. And neither pack has been ever used yet. No occasion so far. I had one time our PathHy did not start due to a dead 12v battery, but it happened on our driveway. It was easier to just use the 120v connected charger to bring it back to life. I needed another jump starter for my PP, so decided to buy a supercapacitor type. Now I can really forget about it, and still, be fine when I really need to use it.

LOL. Such email will go straight to the trash bin. The number of push notifications and reminder emails I receive on a daily base is just ridiculous. It no longer serves the purpose of reminding me of an important event.

#184 Salamander_King, May 15, 2022
    Last edited: May 15, 2022
    jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm, not convinced about Li-ION battery anything. Mobile phones start dying at 3 years, Laptops similar. 4yr old BOSCH Vacuum holds charge for 3 minutes now.

But my EGO Lawnmower - battery died - Dead as a Dodo - at 14 months. Fortunately still under warranty. It'll be a Petrol Mower next time.

MEANWHILE - at 6yrs old, my PRIUS 12 volt is still going fine.

jerrymildred and Salamander_King like this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    By and large, that's true. In fact, my EGO mower battery also died under warranty. I wonder if they had a design problem. Time will tell.

But a health check of my iPhone 11 Pro Max battery after 1-1/2 years showed it at 100% capacity before I sold it to a friend. My previous MacBook Pro battery was also 100% capacity, but it was only a year old when I traded it in. My 3-year old iPad, however, is down to 89.5% capacity. It still feels like a new device, though.

And, at 5 years, the 12V on my Prime is still chugging along just fine so maybe it'll go as long as yours.

The deep cycling on most battery powered devices really kills the batteries. On my phone, I use an iOS shortcut to tell me when it goes over 80%. So I charge it in the morning and by the next morning it's down to about 50%. I have an app on the laptop that lets me keep it plugged in and hold the SOC at any value I choose. So it stays at 55% unless I need to take it to a meeting.

On the other hand, I was running the mower battery all the way down. After the original one died, I bought a spare to go with the replacement one EGO sent me. Now I just let it get down to about 40% or so and then, next time I mow, I charge the other one and do the same. I just keep switching back and forth. It'll be interesting to see how these batteries do.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  7. DrLithium

DrLithium New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Base AWD-e
    A lot of Lithium Jump Packs/Starters are now charged by USB connection. So i keep mine perpetually charged by plugging it into the USB connector in the back seat of my Prius and put the Lithium Jump Pack itself in either the center console or the seatback pocket.

Left mine in there for 2 years and never thought it about until last month when my dad needed to boost his van. Jump Pack was at 100% and cranked that van up perfectly. I was even able to use it 3 separate times to jump that van that day without charging in between. Only went down to 86% charge. Put it back into my Prius and on the 30 minute drive back to my house it was charged back to 100%.

So if you're worried about the extra maintenance of keeping the Jump Pack charged, get one that's charged by USB and leave it connected in your car to USB. You'll never have to worry about it.

(Not sure about long term though, i think after 10 years of being in the car with annual temperature swings of canadian winters, the lithium cells might not hold up. But i still think having it and replacing every 10 years is better than not having it)

Mambo Dave likes this.
  8. JakeCastle

JakeCastle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't know. I got mine replaced at PEP boys for a very reasonable price installed with a three year warranty. I got a year in already, I am posting cause I am looking for a lithium iron phosphate drop in replacement as a replacement two years from now. Any idea? Does anyone think a group buy be a good idea?

Mambo Dave and bisco like this.