1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 4 2016 Released in Australia today - 2 versions

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by alanclarkeau, Mar 7, 2016.

1. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Gen 4 was released today here, base level which is better equipped than Gen 3, including Active Cruise, is approx AUS$38,320 (up about $2500). There are Gen 3s still available for up to $4500 below list price though.

The i-Tech level is approx AUS$46480 (down about $1000), with extra equipment.

This is a summary of the equipment on the 2 levels.

BASE:
    15" alloy wheels, Power adjustable driver’s seat lumbar support, Bi-LED Headlamps with Auto-levelling, Daytime Running Lamps, Pre-Collision Safety system, Lane Departure Alert. Automatic High Beam, All-Range Active Cruise Control, Reversing Camera with moving guidelines, Leather Accented 3-spoke steering wheel, Electro-chromatic rear view mirror, Colour Head-up Display, 7" display audio with Toyota Link, JBL 10 speaker premium sound system, Wireless phone charger

I-TECH:
    17" alloy wheels, Leather Accented seats, 8-way power adjustable driver’s seat, Front seat heaters, Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Satellite Navigation, Digital Radio (DAB+)

Personally, I can't see the extra $8000 value in the I-Tech version of Gen 4. The Gen3 I-Tech had remote A/C, solar roof, sunroof and Radar Cruise as well as 17", leather etc which made it seem "reasonable" value.

[*price is in my locality - it varies a little in other states due to different taxes etc]

wjtracy and Tideland Prius like this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, the base model is very well equipped! I agree, the i-Tech version isn't as appealing as it was with the Gen 3. I see a moonroof is no longer available, eh? I like that you have the power lumbar support on the base model. In North America, it only comes with the power driver's seat.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  3. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A bit more information - it has a NiMH battery - which I don't mind, it's tried and tested, and looks like it's higher capacity than the Lithium.

The Base model has a Spacesaver Spare Tyre (it says "T125/70D17"). But, for some reason, the I-Tech, like the previous I-Tech, lists no spare tyre. For me, that would be a deal-buster to not have a spare tyre at all. My last 2 punctures were 120 mile and over 300 miles respectively from where they could be repaired. With the second, the tyre was damaged beyond repair. While a Spacesaver is supposed to only travel 50 miles, with care, at least it will get you out of trouble even if the distance is greater.

Fuel Use is listed as 3.4 l/100km (about 69 US MPG) for both models (3.9 on Gen3). And it uses Standard Unleaded (91 octane), whereas the Gen 3 specified Premium Unleaded, which, here in Australia, was considerably more expensive.

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It would appear that the i-Tech version is appealing to those that stay within city limits (like a company car or just a city dweller). The more pragmatic might stick with the base model. I can see that having a spare tyre in Australia could be life saving on the highways between cities or or towns.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  5. Thomas Grubb

Thomas Grubb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Excited to have just bought the new 2016 'base' model yesterday from Melbourne City Toyota, though a little sad to see the trusty 2005 gen 2 go (will miss the secret compartment!). Loved the level of equipment offered and feels very refined, and it was still a good $3k less than what we paid 11 years ago.

Apparently Toyota Australia didn't have many delivered, so most dealers only have a demo model which they can't sell...luckily MCT had 3, and we liked the blue!

Looking forward to digesting the manual :)

6. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've now seen 3 x Gen 4 Prius - in 3 different dealer's yards, and all white. I can see 2 others listed on websites, and guess - yes WHITE.

I don't understand it - the vast majority of photos in the brochure and other publicity are red - but all the real cars are white.

I've only seen them after-hours.

They look OK - I'd like to see them in Red or Blue, I think it wouldn't make the edgy design so abrupt.

But - I'm not at all sure of the white finish inside - it almost looks "cheap".

7. Thomas Grubb

Thomas Grubb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The salesman was certainly rather annoyed with Toyota Australia for ordering so few, but it looks like they have the same problem in the UK and Germany. He said the next deliveries were due in June or July. Haven't seen any advertising either, so perhaps they are gauging the response.

We saw a silver one on the road the other day, though it may have been a test drive.

I don't think it feels cheap at all, and the darker blue really offsets the white. It feels very calm and spacious inside, and plenty of colour on the screens!

Picking it up on Thursday, so will know more then!

alanclarkeau likes this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The red is unique to the Prius (a brand new colour) so I would definitely try and see that in person. It's a 3-coat paint (similar to the pearl white). Do you get the pearl white or just the flat white?

9. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never seen a Gen 3 in Pearl White - but have seen a Prius v. Though here, it's called Crystal Pearl (on Gen 3, Prius v and Gen 4 - I assume it's the same colour). They've also renamed the RED for here, to Emotional Red.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's possible there were regional differences. We didn't get the pearl white (Blizzard Pearl here, Crystal Pearl for you) on the Gen 2 even though it was available in Japan.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  11. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's still no sign of "Thermo-Tect LimeGreen" other than in Japan. I'd have thought that it would be ideal for tropical and outback Australia, and similar places in USA etc.