1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 4, a disappointment?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by MrMagoo, Apr 8, 2016.

1. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Greetings all,

Went out to my local Toyota dealer to have a serious look at the new gen 4 prius, as we are thinking about trading in our old gen 3. Was not impressed at all! This is why:

-Backseats! No headroom at all! I sit perfectly fine in the back in our gen 3, but my head was hitting the roof in the gen 4. We use this car as a family car, so this was a real bummer. Also less leg space?

-No moonroof?? The salesman told me this was not an option? It "destroyed the new, sporty lines"?!? I want a sunroof!

- Leather seats. Not avaliable in grey/light/beige without ugly black sides? Looked as they where from the 80's... Had to go for all black to have seats in one color. Is this in Norway only?

- Gadgets, I really, really expected more...

To be honest, I expected more from the whole car. I was expecting to be "wowed" like the first time we took a ride in the gen3.

Looks like we will wait for the Tesla model 3, it's also cheaper in Norway.

Best regards,
    M

#1 MrMagoo, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    Keithstef, bisco and bwilson4web like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hey, join the club of leavers, you're not alone. but toyota is looking for new customers anyway.

you're going to go to norway to buy a model 3 and ship it back here?o_O

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh MaGoo you've done it again!
    I feel like the Prius + (v) is the new Hatchback...hope they keep makin' em
    also here RAV4 hybrid seeing good growth

bisco and krmcg like this.
  4. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Now if only they would do a plug in version with some serious battery range...

5. PurpleGecko

PurpleGecko Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

You're entitled to your views, but your 'serious look' seems not to have included actually driving the car, as all your comments are about sitting in it. Actually driving it might have been a good idea. To drive the car is, by most accounts, far better than the Gen III. If you actually did drive it, I'm amazed if you didn't notice the difference in refinement over your existing car.

Backseats do have somewhat less head room, (this is definitely a minus for the car) but you have to be at least 180cm plus to feel the difference. Your kids are 180cm tall?

I don't think there actually is less leg space, the front seats just go back further.

Sunroof - a valid point, a strange decision by Toyota not to make this an option in the EU.

Gadgets - you expect more? What exactly were you hoping for, rocket launchers? This is undoubtedly a very well equipped car, arguably the best in its class. What tech do you think the car is missing? (For me, the only obvious thing missing is Apple CarPlay.)

sauciest, kithmo and PeterKG like this.
  6. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    IIRC, Toyota touted that they moved the peak of the Gen III "Pagoda" roof back to give more headroom for the rear seat passengers. Now they claimed that they moved the peak of the Gen IV roof forward to give the front passengers more headroom. I guess for the Gen V they'll move the peak of the roof up. :whistle:

telmo744 likes this.
  7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IYDRC!
    (Indeed You Do recall correctly!)

Yeah when they moved the hump back that gives pretty good luggage space on Gen3. I am thinking the new global frame moves more ft-3 up front - that's not what the US luggage space stats say - but what I am thinking is net eftect - shooting for sedan look is my way of thinking of it. Maybe the ft3 is more in width than height - I have not figured out yet where I think the ft3 are located, but it's not in the luggage space I don't think.

#7 wjtracy, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  8. PeterKG

PeterKG Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Can't stand these uninformed posts. I've had every generation except the first. Gen 4 and my Touring 4 is the best hands down of them all. A wonderful car to drive. Oh and I don't sit in the back seat when I drive it.

9. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have owned a Gen 1 through Gen 3 and soon the Gen 4 you want to talk leg room in the back... not even close. just look at a Gen 1.. and tight on the head room too. but for what it was, is a great car... My only disappointments going in is the missing Temp Tire, and the extra Nooks and Crannies the design team thought best to remove for whatever reason.

I know this... I get a flat... that something in back will do me no good... call a tow or leave car in safe place and take off Wheel and what is left of the tire and head to the service place.... Toyota you watching.... GIVE US a choice and an option to get back our temp tire and tools. I will take the hit on MPG. thank you very much.

bisco likes this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Weird. I brush my head on both the Gen 2 and Gen 3 when I sit back with my head on the headrest. In the Gen 4, there's a gap so there's a few more millimetres of headroom (although officially, it's no change from Gen 3)

Actually, they moved it forward (like the Gen 2) for aerodynamic purposes. The front headroom is just a byproduct.

energyandair, sauciest and kithmo like this.
  11. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I live in Norway, Bisco. And i am 186cm. I sit fine in the gen 3, but I can not sit fine in the gen 4. I have to bend my neck a lot or slide forwards in the seat, maybe that was why it felt like less leg space.

I did a test drive, and the car was more comfortable than our 3, but still this not the main reason to buy a Prius. I wound only rate it as ok, while our 3 actually is... Well, less than ok.

The thing is this: a brand new P R I U S should be more high tech. When the 2009 came in Norway, it was better equipped than a range rover, 7 series or S class. It could park itself, detect crashes, had radar cruisecontrol, solar powered AC, lane keep assistance, a harddisk for music, satnav with traffic info, voice control, HUD, and a whole lot more. What's the new one got?

M

Aaron Vitolins and bisco like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I couldn't care less for more high tech. I'm very interested in the sterling mpg results a lot of new 2016 owners are reporting. But then I give my head a shake: we're only spending about $30 a month on gas as it is, with our 2010. And:

1. I think the exterior looks way too over-the-top. They're apparently looking to attract new buyers, not sure who. The headlights in particular have reached new heights of silly silly, and reportedly costs well over $1000 US for the part. (Anyone remember $20 sealed beams. Yeah I know, these are vastly superior, but does thing have to be a tortured sculpture??)

2. I'm not impressed by the plastic wheel covers over alloys, no matter how much "lipstick" they put on them. Really wish they'd quit on this.

3. The dwindling spare tire, reduced storage, no like.

4. The interior, no like either. The Darth Vader* Multi Function Display for example: I despise the concept MFD from the outset, and this one is particularly odious: gloss black, in your face, and "his" eyes follow you everwhere, lol. The dash is now a "sculpture", that upper glove box had to go, it clashed. The porcelain white, and stick-on glossy black partial mask: more silly silly.

5. Not all negative: I like what they've done to the 12 volt battery, location, size, format.

* I'm pretty sure I coined this on PriusChat, kinda proud. :)

13. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    image.jpg
    Gee, Mendel... How do you really feel about the new Prius??? :ROFLMAO::)

"May The Force Be With You!"

(My owner's manual says the navigation/GPS system comes from a US Military Satellite. So, yes, we are being watched. :eek: (y))

~"The White Knight." Laughing all the way to the gas station.

Attached Files:

#13 Coast Cruiser, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, I'm waiting for the Toyota drone... :ROFLMAO:

15. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    or remove the roof and make it a convertible :cool:

I don't know if it's different because of the leather seats, but I'm six foot and a half inch tall and I have an inch to an inch and a half of clearance above my head when I sit in the back. Maybe I have longer legs than most ?

#15 kithmo, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2016
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why don't you get one of the packages that has a spare?

17. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Mendel,

In person, I find the exterior far less over-the-top than some of the pictures that preceded the model. And, the reality is, that if not for design changes, we'd all still be driving '57 chevys with metal dashboards (which some would welcome) - but really, my point is that exterior (& interior) design changes with time, and whenever something new (or different) emerges, the initial response is usually less than welcoming.

I agree about the cost of the headlights - is it really necessary to make something that can be subject to damage so damned expensive to replace?

I agree about the hubcaps over alloys - that is certainly a weird approach, and even more infuriating is that the center caps that did fit my 2010 alloys don't fit the 2016.

My Three has a spare, and I'm happy about that.

I agree about the gloss MFD.

But overall, having spent over 2 months with my 2016, I'd say it's vastly superior to my 2010. But, that's all subjective, and your opinion is certainly just as valid as mine... :)

krmcg, bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  18. Topp Cat

Topp Cat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Gen 4 was design for better mpg, ride and handling that is the selling point! Those never had previous Prius will love it! Those that own the previous versions will love it or hate it! And how ever they will probably sell millions of units.

krmcg and bisco like this.
  19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Whohoo! I've seen it used in media articles too. Nicely done!

On the 15? Yeah. On the 17? I think you're overreacting :). We have the Touring model and it's fine. You really can't tell unless you inspect it close up.

No it's not necessary. But consumers have demanded it. Just like they've demanded larger wheels without realising (or perhaps not caring) about the replacement costs for tires or damaged wheels.

Mendel Leisk and Merkey like this.
  20. thunderstruck

thunderstruck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As far as the headlights go the older you get the more you understand why they are needed.

Tande and Coast Cruiser like this.