1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 4 aftermarket plugin conversion anyone?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by GT4Prius, May 5, 2016.

1. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    Is anyone considering this? One manufacturer says that Gen3 plugin conversion will work with the Gen4. Seems like a good compromise for those who want 5 seats and maybe just a short range plug-in capacity.

2. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

Plugin conversion? What's that?

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes this might be a good idea! especially in Colorado due to conversion incentives. 3ProngPaul here with Boulder Hybrids does this type of conversion (not showing Gen4 yet but he would be the expert). But do not know where he would hide the batts.

Upgrades | Boulder Hybrids

4. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    My guess is that the batteries are hidden in the spare wheel carrier (Am I right in thinking that the Gen4 still has one?). That is where they put them for previous generation conversions.

Here is another source of info on this option - a reply I received from Plugin Supply:

"We sell direct to customers. We do sell into the UK.
    Our Gen 3 product works for the Gen 4.
    Prices are on the website here:
    www.pluginsupply.com/pricing/ "

My wife has a two-mile journey to and from work daily. So a 5-mile Plugin range would mean she could travel there and back without using the ICE. So this seems like a good option for us too, potentially.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not just buy the original PiP lightly used? Great prices here.
    Gen4 could be cool if Toyota just put say 2.0 kWhr under the rear seat and give you a plug or wireless.
    That would get ~5 miles.

Otherwise there is not as much space back there for batts I don't think. We've basically lost the under-floor compartment of Gen 2/3 in the style interest of lowering the back hatch to give more of a sedan appearance.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. unless you've already got a gen 4, in which case, you'll have to want to spend a lot of time and money to accomplish this.
    seems to me, these decisions are better made before embarking on a new purchase.