1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 4 Aftermarket Seat

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Ted B, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Ted B

Ted B Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife recently bought a 2018 Prius base model, and while she generally likes it the seats are really pretty awful, even by Prius standards (the seats in my 2007 weren't spectacular, but they were far, far better than these).

Given that the 2007 went way past 10 years and 200k miles, I've suggested that spending the money to get a decent seat while the car's new would probably be money well spent over the life of the car. Assorted covers/cushions don't strike us as desirable - we've tried a vast array of them through the last few years (including in the 2007 Prius), but the problem here seems to be that it's just a poorly shaped seat.

I've looked briefly at Recaro, and they do seem to have some viable options, but wondered if others have come up with interesting approaches. I've also looked to see if there are any better Toyota/Lexus seats that might be bolt-in replacements, but haven't seen any indications that there are.

We're not trying to do this on the cheap - we don't want to spend the 4 grand that Recaro's top-of-the-line ergonomic seat would cost installed, but a thousand (or maybe even two) would strike me as a worthwhile investment.

So, any inventive suggestions?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we've seen camry and volvo seats installed here from salvage, but it does take some customization. and airbags are a consideration.

3. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Still a possibility that the Lexus version of the Prius will just plug and play, might check into that, before this year, that would be the CT200h.

4. JosephG

JosephG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Would it not be possible to get a seat from a higher Prius trim then? I know it's missing some wires, but I imagine the Lexus seat would be electric too.

I also might want to put a better seat in a few years. I also find the base seat uncomfortable, though it's not so bad if you sit really upright and jam your butt back.

5. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a four with electric seat and lumbar support and haven't moved it since the car was new. I would have thought the seats would be the same in all trims except the power and lumbar option.
    Try going to a dealer and set in a higher trim level Prius and see if they are different.

krmcg likes this.
  6. JosephG

JosephG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The issue with the base seat is the lack of lumbar support. It's like it's built for turtles, it caves in for some reason that makes no sense.

Other than making your spine invert, it's actually a pretty comfortable seat. The bolsters are nice and the seat cushion is soft.

#6 JosephG, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  7. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced