1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 4 Alignment - How good is good enough for top mileage / handling / tire wear?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by C W, Sep 20, 2019.

1. C W

C W Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just got my 2016 Prius Four a four-wheel alignment. The shop gave me the before-and-after alignment printout, which I read and started to wonder if they should have been more exacting with the alignment.

Prius 2016 Alignment.jpg

After adjustment, these are the numbers:
    LF Caster 6.5°, RF Caster 6.2°
    LF Camber -0.7°, Front total toe 0.13°, RF Camber -0.7°
    LR Camber -0.9°, Rear total toe 0.08°, RR Camber -1.2°
    Thrust angle 0.04°

I can see they got the front toe dead-on but left the caster, camber, and rear toe unadjusted (they're "green" but not dead-on).

Will my mileage / handling / tire wear be fine the way they set it, or should I take it back to them to have them readjust it?

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was it a TOYOTA Dealer?

You could ask them - they can only say "NO" or "Pay more and we'll get it exact".

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=4

You could also find out TOYOTA Specifications and see if they're within the +/-. You might find them on-line.

I'm not sure how much adjustment is available with castor or camber - sometimes only adjustable with changed parts - ie extra $$$$.

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Indeed. Rear camber is not adjustable, and front camber adjustment can require new bolts.
    If the alignment meets all of the published specifications, and you don’t notice any objectionable driving characteristics, such as pulling or wandering, I wouldn’t pursue further adjustments now. Drive the car for a few thousand miles, and then check the tires for uneven wear.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  4. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I just now had an alignment done on my 2017Prius at a non-dealer shop and the front caster reading is 5.7 (left) and 5.8 (right) whereas the spec is 6.51 (+/- 0.45) per Toyota. The shop says Caster is NOT adjustable. Wondering if this is true and if so if I should take it to a frame shop or something.

5. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The Repair Manual (more info) gives the front caster inclination specifications in degrees and minutes of arc and in decimal degrees, which the shop or their source of alignment data seems to have confused. For model year 2016–2018 Prius cars with tire size 195/65R15, the specifications are 6°51′ ± 0°45′ (6.85° ± 0.75°), and the right-left difference should be 0°45′ (0.75°) or less.
    That’s correct; at least, the Repair Manual doesn’t include a procedure to adjust caster, as it does for front camber and toe-in, for example.
    Assuming the measurements you gave are in decimal degrees, the right-left difference (cross camber) is well within limits, and the left and right measurements aren’t all that far outside the specifications. If the car hasn’t been in a collision or had other known damage, and the shop has made other adjustments, I’d see how those work out, and invest in further diagnosis only if you notice unacceptable handling or tire wear.

6. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    You are right; I was the one confused between the degrees/minutes of arc and decimal degress. The sheet the shop provided gave everything in decimal degrees. I meant to mention the spec from Caster from the Toyota manual as 6.85 +/- 0.75 decimal degrees. Whereas the left side read 5.7 degrees and the right 5.8.

I happened to accelerate over a significant/wide bump a couple of months back in the dark and in a hurry and I could feel the front struts/shocks pressed in to the limits and the entire car go up in the air a little bit and land. The car always had a slight wandering on the highway and that happened to increase after this incident. I thought perhaps the worn tires had suffered some damage internally and so replaced them with Michelin CrossClimate2's recently and took it in for alignment. Attached is the sheet.

Attached Files:

7. Beezybone

Beezybone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Rear camber/toe is adjustable with using Godspeed kit. Here's the link https://www.ebay.com/itm/384735773718?fits=Year%3A2020&hash=item59940a0416:g:RCoAAOSwWnViCz~0&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4Oyy8CV6oVY2zueAdZ4KCs3vvt6tIj5U32499uplcCO0qidPuTBZqlwS4Z2UjbpXCQ%2FQYBVYFNC%2FInZo9jnaOhaMDwcsBi7B0QgMP1%2BSfPvs2KF%2B%2FRywrN4FKRHHhgW%2FisxRCYp5%2B2pa02Dmq890kg%2FfKSPrayZJg3Q42%2F7W3m6RGTaxe5zWKo%2F5kb1V2gvsHhcKsy92Wtw2bpri4%2Fs7Bx0U86DBzxje7fOxncPDOCiOkaKQ6UlF2Yo9LLtOFegs%2B1AtFxGFIwl7GIBrBWg%2BYpqDpoa5kcgUETanFuUF1l%2FG%7Ctkp%3ABFBM-qj7g45i