1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 4 Carista - Ready mode or Ignition On?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by GalaxyRain, May 25, 2021.

1. GalaxyRain

GalaxyRain Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I saw something while reading reviews, I can’t remember if it was on Amazon or YouTube, about Carista needing the car to be in Ignition On mode (that is, don’t hold the brake when you press power on twice), not Ready mode, or something like that. Can anyone confirm or deny? I’m not sure what Gen Prius the reviewer was on.

I know that the dealer can turn off the reverse beep for free, but it would have meant waiting at least an extra hour or 90 minutes and the salesman really said they were too busy. Besides, I figured I would want to tweak other things. I read something about setting the proximity sensor alert to silence after 3 beeps because it’s annoying when sitting in a drive-through, for example, so I went ahead and got it. And I was wondering if the battery (the 12V) got changed someday if I would need to re-disable the beep, so now I’ll just be able to do it myself.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Carista works on Ready Mode. I am sure it also works on ON mode as well, but if you are going to be working on the car for long, I recommend just keeping it on Ready Mode to prevent the 12v battery from draining.

krmcg and jerrymildred like this.
  3. GalaxyRain

GalaxyRain Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Okay thanks! Maybe that reviewer had theirs in Ignition On and it needed to be in Ready or something… who knows. Lol

Salamander_King likes this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can confirm that it works in both modes. But, as @Salamander_King pointed out, Ready removes the risk of running down the 12V battery if you mess with it too long.

Also, the dealer CAN do it for free if they care about developing a good relationship with a customer who will include that thoughtfulness (or lack thereof) when talking about their opinions on where to buy a car. Some dealers do it, some charge for it, and some claim that it can't be done at all. Still, you're right that it's faster to do it yourself and that way you can change anything you want. (y)

Zteve and Valiant V like this.
  5. GalaxyRain

GalaxyRain Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Yeah, I live in northwest Indiana though and went to Chicago to buy the car and they were very busy so he asked me to have it done back here at home. This was the only AWD we could find in Electric Storm blue and my local dealership said the one in Chicago wasn’t doing any dealer trades at this time due to the new car shortage, so I went there to buy it. This will definitely save me having to make an appointment which is A+ in my book.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. MIkeDr

MIkeDr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I love the Carista app. Besides the beeping, I decreased the volume for the parking sensors, and reduced the sensitivity of the side sensors. And made the sensors stop beeping when the car is in neutral (I.e., “car wash mode”).

jerrymildred and krmcg like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I tend to have a smart charger on near constantly when the cars idle, so “On” should be ok in that case.