1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 4 doors not staying locked...

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ssdesigner, Dec 16, 2016.

1. ssdesigner

ssdesigner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    Persona
    At first I thought I was being absentminded....I would lock the doors, walk away, and when I came back to the car it would randomly be unlocked. Not every time, but maybe 1-2 times out of 10.

This morning I pulled into my garage and as I walked away from the car I hit the lock button on the fob. The car beeped and lights flashed. Ok, so locked! Came back to my car an hour later, approached the car with fob in pocket....no dash light came on like usual. No beep as I grabbed the door handle, the car was unlocked.

Am I missing something here?

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The buttons on the FOB are reversed from my last 2 cars and it beeps differently, and a couple of times very early in owning it, I noticed I'd not locked it right. But I generally lock it with the touch thingy (a technical word) on the door handles. I've since set my mirrors to automatically fold when I lock the car - that way I can see at a glance if I've locked - or unlocked.

BUT - no idea why yours isn't locking satisfactorily - it sounds like you're doing it right. You don't happen to have the spare FOB in the car, or within range of the car?

RCO likes this.
  3. ssdesigner

ssdesigner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    Persona

My spare fob is in my apartment on the 3rd floor, so I'm thinking it's well out of range. No other fob in the car, and actually I've tried to lock it with the keys in it and I get the warning beep...so that function works perfect.

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I may have had that happen once too. I assumed that perhaps I forgot to lock it with the outside handle.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  5. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Now that you mention it ss, it's happened to me too. But I didn't bring it up in these forums because I thought people would think I'm nuts. Or just complaining again. :LOL:

I always lock & unlock it like Alan does, I touch the door handle sensor. I never use the Fob, it just stays in my pocket. And I have the beep turned up to the maximum so I can hear it lock... or so I thought. But there have been a few times when I return to the car and I find that the driver's door is not locked. Weird. Another Prius Oddity for my list...

Now I'm starting to press the lock button on the inside of the door panel, before I close the door. The old fashioned way.

6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Old-fashioned would be to use the mechanical lock buttons which these cars are lacking. Perhaps you should retrofit some? :D :LOL:

7. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Actually, you can slide the mechanical lock button forward on the door panel. But I just press the power lock button, by the window switch.

RCO likes this.
  8. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This can be an early sign of a failing actuator on one of the doors.
    Usually the drivers door fails first; no idea why.

BUT.......that would be rather strange on a '16 model I think.

When my C did this, the doors would attempt to lock and things appeared to work normally.......until about 2 seconds after that when there was a faint second "click" as the doors UNlocked, apparently because the computer sensed that something didn't work right.

Alas, that second click was NOT accompanied by any warning beep, which I think is a design oversight. The stupid thing BEEPS for every other reason under the sun; you would think that a failure to lock properly would be on that list too.

RCO and Coast Cruiser like this.
  9. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, Sam. That happened on my 2005 Camry, but it was an older car so I didn't mind so much.
    The 2016 may just have a minor glitch. Technology is great and all, but the more electronics and computers you load these cars up with, the more chances there may be of glitches and failures. (A perfect example is all the owners that are already having a problem with their Entune system). And that's why I am not a fan of self–driven vehicles, unless I'm 90 years old and incapacitated.

I'm in the minority, and I'm not against technology, however I just want my car to get me from point A to point B in the simplest way possible. I don't need the pushbutton start. Or the "magic fob." Or the fancy touch sensor door locks. I'm perfectly fine with a mechanical key in my pocket, and a regular ignition. (Maybe I should have bought that stripped, $12,000 Nissan Versa! :ROFLMAO:)

10. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    a bit of water on the section you grab to unlock the doors could do this assuming a fob is within range when it happens.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  11. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  12. ssdesigner

ssdesigner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    Persona
    Ahhhh...all my problems, solved :p

13. ssdesigner

ssdesigner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    Persona
    Not in my case, it's 70 degrees in my parking spot. Every bit of snow/ice melts off my car in 10 minutes.

14. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well ss, at least you now know you're not alone. I've said this 100 times, my Prius is the strangest and weirdest car I've ever owned! I never know what is going to do from day-to-day. :eek: Maybe that will keep me young… :ROFLMAO:

15. ssdesigner

ssdesigner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    Persona
    I'm not in any way happy about not being alone....and I'm not trying to be a cranky curmudgeon :p

I've invested WAY too much in stereo equipment to let this be an "oh well"....

Email sent to my dealer. Not expecting ANYTHING, per usual....but I want it documented.

16. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe call Toyota corporate too, and they can document it as well, and give it a case number. I'm getting pretty tired of all the weirdness with this car. Should've never sold my beat-up Camry. It sucked gas, but there wasn't nothing weird about it.

RCO likes this.
  17. ssdesigner

ssdesigner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    Persona
    I had a 2009 Camry. Good car, but the fuc*&^! door locks failed on me just outside of warranty.

Sore subject? You're goddamn right.

RCO and Coast Cruiser like this.
  18. ssdesigner

ssdesigner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    Persona
    Anyone have the number/email contact info for Toyota direct? They also have a customer loyalty department for items in or outside warranty...I'm calling them as well. I'm going to go full forward....the cost to replace door locks is $600 per.....F*** that. NO.

RCO likes this.
  19. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    800-331-4331
    You might also check in your owners manual. There's a number in there.

That's the number for Toyota corporate headquarters, in Torrance California. That's the number I've used in the past, when I had to file a complaint about something. They don't do anything about it, but they politely listen.

20. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just tried that number and I have no idea what it is. But it didn't sound like Toyota. I just got that number off the Internet.