1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 4 Expensive

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by padroo, Jan 9, 2018.

1. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just looked in my Mitchells DIY information for my 2016 Prius 4 an the flat rate book says it takes 17.6 hours to change a long block in my car. What is the going shop rate in $$$?

The going rate to buy a long block is $10,258. Looks very expensive to have one changed.
    BTW, I was just curious and my engine is fine. I will take care of it.lol

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I have no idea of its accuracy, but Toyota’s own Flat Rate Manual (available by subscription to toyota-tech.eu) allows 10.1 hours to remove and reinstall the partial engine assembly: 9.6 hours for the basic operation (120051) plus 0.3 hours for E.G.R. and 0.2 hours for air conditioning.

That’s just to swap the assemblies, of course; for an engine overhaul (operation 120012) they allow 32.5 hours, and to remove and reinstall the cylinder block subassembly (operation 111011) they allow 19.6 hours.
    You’ve found Toyota’s list price for the partial engine assembly (19000-37780); it’s being offered online for much less, though some sources say it’s not available. This might be because dealers need special permission to install one as a warranty repair. After noting the availability of engine parts and short block assemblies, the Toyota Warranty Policy and Procedures Manual says:

“In those very unusual situations where Product Quality and Service Support (PQSS) determines that a long block engine assembly is needed, dealers are required to obtain pre-authorization from PQSS and obtain a JTR [Japan Technical Request] number prior to repair and before ordering parts.”​

To give you an idea of the markup, the similar part for a Prius in Japan (19000-37790) has a list price of ¥391,000. (The price on Amazon.co.jp is somewhat higher, and I think their free shipping is limited to Japan.)

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.