1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 4 LMPG

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by krousdb, Mar 11, 2016.

1. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    IMG_0226.JPG The Gen 4 Prius is the first to have the Lifetime MPG screen. Much like what the Gen 1 Insight had, this screen shows lifetime stats. But unlike the Insight, unfortunately the Gen 4 Prius is resettable (see "After Reset" in the picture above). I have seen references to this on other posts where this data has been accidently erased. Once done, you have lost it forever. I am not going to go poking around to find out how to erase it, but my guess is either holding down the trip button while the Odo is displayed, or going into the history screen and hitting update or clear. You can tell if the screen has been cleared by doing the math. The odometer reading divided by the elapsed time should equal the average speed. In the picture above, 2183/70.8833= 30.82 MPH, which is rounded up to 31 on the screen. Therefore, mine has never been reset.

The reason that I point this out is that there is great information here. If you are wondering about how you compare to others, you would want to look at those who have similar average speeds and EV%. Those would not necessarily be perfect comparisons, but it would be better than just blindly looking at other tank MPG's. Also a higher speed with a lower EV % would indicate more aggressive driving, while the opposite would indicate less aggressive driving. The only thing lacking here would be average temperature. That is why you would want to also consider region when doing a comparison.

I am also asking the question, if my EV ratio is 58% (assuming this it % of miles driven as opposed to time driven), then when would I want to change my oil? The Odo says I have 2183 miles but only 42% with the engine running. So really I only have 917 miles on the oil change. Maybe I will use Trip A for tank data and Trip B for data since last oil change.

If you have an LMPG that has not been reset, please post it and note the region that you drive in. I am in the Raleigh area. Maybe someone smarter than me could set up a database.

2. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am intrigued. I have not reset "trip B" and it is LMPG for me. I have not seen the attached screen. Where? is it?

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What happens if you disconnect the 12 volt I wonder. Might retain the info, or not? Also, this would be "inflated" lifetime average, I'd assume. Just recording your gas purchases and distance travelled; you can have "per tank" and "accumulating".

4. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    its out of gas

krmcg likes this.
  5. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just hit the trip button on the steering wheel until your odometer shows up. Then use the arrows on the right side of the steering wheel to choose the i icon. The scroll up or down until you get the hours, ave MPH and EV% screen. There are a total of 6 screens under the i icon, including the hybrid indicator.

merged.

Not quite, but possibly running on fumes.
    merged
    That is a good question. It is true that you could record the tank data to calculate these things. Having it done automatically is more convenient.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Interesting that it includes %EV. Perhaps evidence of Toyota adopting a standardized display between the hybrid and PHEV.

I'd use it for determining the oil change time, as suggested in the OP, though I'd check to make sure Toyota hasn't already extended the change interval for their hybrids over their ICE models. Assuming Toyota's maintenance reminder light is still just a miles count down timer, and not something that monitors engine operation like GM's.

7. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    MPG1.jpg MPG2.jpg MPG3.jpg MPG1.jpg
    found it. Still trying to figure the math. 19 hours at 25 MPH is only about 456 miles? When I have driven 2,860. The "Trip A" seems to be correct.

Sergiospl likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, if something's available, I use it. But with the car's info I like to use it just for feedback, cross-check, for the two reasons I mentioned:

1. Possible volatility (can be reset, or a battery disconnect toasts it).
    2. Toyota's insistence on inflating the mpg stats.

9. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well what you have shown me is very disturbing. The Odometer has been reset as evidenced by the 72.2 to 68.5 MPG difference between Odo and trip B. The trip B miles reset when with the rest of the data so the miles shown must be correct. It looks like the hours have rolled over at 100 back to zero. Do the math with 2858.9 miles / 119 hours (adding the 100 when it rolled over, and you get 24 mph. It appears that trip B has not been reset, it just rolled over. If this is true with the Odometer as well, the LMPG feature doesn't truly exist, at least not after 100 hours.:mad:

I will watch mine to see if it turns over. I will know in about 30 more hours of driving.

#9 krousdb, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  10. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    DO NOT extend the oil change interval! Unless you don't care about your warranty!

Silly rabbit. ;)

11. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the 450,000+ miles that I have driven Gen 2 and Gen 3 (300k sold, and 150k traded in) I have regularly changed my oil at 25,000 mile intervals, whether they needed it or not. I have even taken the step of having the oil analyzed. No problem for my driving style. YMMV.

Oil Analysis Results- 25,000 Miles between changes | PriusChat

They have never had service at the recommended service intervals. Just self performed oil and filter changes at 25k, air filters at 50k and spark plugs at 150k. Brake pads? Never needed them. Again, no problem for my driving style.

Thanks for your advice, but I will continue the same with the Gen 4.

TonyWilkey likes this.
  12. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My memory is hazy (it was 10 years ago) but I think the Insight-I's LMPG was resettable. As I recall, I debated about resetting it and finally I decided it was MY LMPG I was interested in and I did not want to include the 0mpg it was getting while idling in the dealer's shop charging the battery or whatever.
    I was fooling around with the Tripmeter button when I first got into my new ECO and I think I reset LMPG by holding down the tripmeter button while the total miles odometer was showing on the display.

13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Oil changes would only have a bearing on warranty claims involving the engine, and then the dealer and Toyota would have to prove longer change intervals were the cause of the issue.

kithmo likes this.
  14. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Exactly. So if you don't care about a warranty, go ahead and extend those oil change intervals. But if you paid extra for extra warranty and still extended your intervals, well, you're confused!
    Oh, and don't tell me Toyota has to prove a problem was caused by your change interval extension. They can ignore you at no cost to them. If you want to force them to honour the warranty YOU have to take them to court. Lots of luck with that! $10,000 court costs just to get in there over what, a $5000 bill? All over trying to save what, $100 per year? I think some sense is needed.

15. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So by your logic, Toyota would have to ignore everyone at no cost to them. That is because they have no way to prove that extended oil change intervals were used and even if they were, they could not prove that it was the cause of the malfunction. When was the last time that you heard of anyone having an oil related problem in a Prius? I remember some issues with 2.4L Camry engines and sludge building up but that was 10 years ago or so.

My dealer charges $50 for a oil change. For someone like myself who drives 35,000 miles a year, that is $375/yr when you add tax. I normally go 300k miles before buying a new car (the 2012 got traded in at 150k because the 2016 is such a better vehicle). But at 300k miles and 5k intervals that is 60 oil changes or $3,200 over the life of the vehicle vs. $640 at 25k intervals. Because I do it myself, the cost is only $360 for 300k miles. So Toyota wants me to spend $3,200 over the life of my vehicle (not to mention the $1,000's more for the 15k mile service intervals) so I can keep the warranty coverage, which for me lasts 2-3 years due to the miles that I typically drive? Do you really think it is because they are concerned about the vehicle or maybe they like the additional source of income?

I agree with you, some sense is needed. A warranty is nice to have but I have never had the need to use one. Maybe it is because take it easy on my vehicles and they return the favor by taking it easy on me. For me, it makes sense to extend my oil change intervals, perhaps for you, it does not.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    non resettable lifetime numbers would be great. i hope it proves out to be correct.

krmcg likes this.
  17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Small claims court for an amount that low.
    And motor oil would have no bearing on failing inverters, MFDs, brakes, transaxle, battery, or any number of over systems covered under extended warranties.

When was the last time you heard of any engine failure due to old oil?

The 2.4l sludge issue was because of a design flaw in the engine on Toyota's end. They uses less cooling channels to save on manufacturing costs. They denied it was their fault at first, but the numbers soon stacked against them.

krousdb likes this.
  18. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Has the oil change interval decreased for Gen 4? It is 10,000 miles for Gen 3, which is reduced to 5,000 for severe conditions. I'm assuming your driving does not constitute severe condition driving because you think you are easy on the car. You might be inflating the cost of recommended oil changes by double.

#18 Lightning Racer, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  19. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The dealer says 5k miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Huh? What does the book say?

FWIW, I'm with the dealer, but that's another story.