1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 4 Looks

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by nyprius, Nov 1, 2016.

1. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My Gen 2 Prius has run well for 11 years. I'll be buying a new car soon. I love the Prius. I can't imagine getting anything else. Based on all I've read, the Gen 4 is a big improvement from the Gen 3 in many ways. But the appearance of the Gen 4 seems strange. The wings in the back look weird. Wings went out in the 1950s. Why not make the back look normal and cool, like a BMW, Audi or Mercedes. The taillights look weird too. What's wrong with more normal looking LED taillights. And the white console and seats are terrible. They'll get dirty easily, especially if kids or pets are in the car.

Toyota has a massive asset that they're not using adequately. Thousands of Prius experts and Prius lovers on this forum and others almost certainly would be glad to give Toyota feedback on new designs. They should take advantage of this resource and ask us what we think during redesign phases. It seems likely that the large majority would have said lose the wings, weird tail lights and white interior.

I've only seen two Gen 4 Prius's on the road since the model was released. I wonder if the strange looks of the Gen 4 are suppressing sales.

I've read on Priuschat that some people get used to the Gen 4 looks and others like them. It's a matter of opinion. But in the appearance area, I suspect the majority would have voted for less weirdness and more normal looks. In spite of this, I'll probably buy a new Prius. But maybe I'll wait a year or two and see if they fix some of the appearance issues.

Felt and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. Archimedes

Archimedes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    According to Toyota, everything about its appearance is designed to fight wind resistance. Before the gen 4, I disliked the look of a Prius. When I first saw the new gen 4, I actually loved the look. Everything to me looks and feels like it is a part of the future.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    Are the looks more important than the driving experience? Why not test drive it and then decide whether the improvements outweigh your dislike of the looks?

RCO and krmcg like this.
  4. Archimedes

Archimedes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well I bought the gen 4 eco two. It feels amazing, plus I got 300 miles in half a tank. The interior has great quality. I really like this car.

RCO and krmcg like this.
  5. greenmonster01

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I HATED the looks of the car when they revealed the photos last year... Didn't like the looks when I saw them on the road. It' was only after I looked at them on the lots, that I came around. I think the new gen looks better in some colors than others, but that's a personal preference kinda thing.

The looks have grown on me...

RCO, krmcg and Archimedes like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you drive a 2005 prius, and you want the gen 4 to look like a bmw, audi or mercedes?:confused:

7. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I reckon the appearance is designed to be strange. At the very least, it gets noticed and people remember the car, even if they hate it to bits. They have been accused of producing boring looking mainstream cars for a long time now. I don't agree with every change they have made, but I personally never even considered a Prius before the Gen 4. The bizarre design, inside & out, is part of the reason I got mine. It's refreshing. I've even gotten used to the feeling upon entering the driver's door that I'm sitting on my toilet seat in my white bathroom :)

A 'normal' design doesn't stand out in a crowded marketplace where many modern cars tend to look very similar. Perhaps they chose not to consult traditional buyers of the Prius (who despite the changes, some existing Prius owners will probably upgrade to a Gen 4 anyway at some point) because they are seeking to grow the market by finding people who wouldn't ever consider a Prius before, because it looked too 'normal'? 10 years ago, if you wanted a really efficient car, your 1st choice would be a Prius. Fast forward to today, and you've got so many choices, not just the Prius. Just having great fuel economy isn't enough to differentiate your car from other brands.

In the US, I suspect it's a combination of the looks as you mention as well as low gas prices potentially suppressing sales of the Gen 4 Apparently, in their home market of Japan, the strange design has been very well received by customers.

"In a recent survey conducted by research firm Strategic Vision, 12 percent of respondents listed exterior styling as their top complaint with the Prius—against 8 percent for the previous-generation model. Current owners may also be less likely to switch to the new model. A recent Edmunds survey found that only 42 percent of current owners plan to buy another Prius, compared to 64 percent in 2005. In contrast, Prius sales are on the rise in Japan, something Bloomberg attributes to styling that better suits the tastes of Japanese buyers."
    Source: Toyota Prius design, popular in Japan, not a hit in U.S.

Oh, I reckon Toyota are only going to get weirder in their designs. I don't think they will go back to vanilla designs anytime soon.

BLITZ XW50, bisco, RCO and 1 other person like this.
  8. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In Japan, PRIUS is the #1 seller.

I quite like it, and think it looks better than some other TOYOTAs - and it has world leading aerodynamics. It's preferable to some other companies which have boringly barely changed in decades and with little which could be called style (VW for instance).

The world at the moment with short-term low fuel prices is buying SUVs and trucks, have gone back to V8s (here anyway).

RCO and bisco like this.
  9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    And is designed first and foremost for that market. Notice how their trucks and SUV's look "normal", they're designed for the USA.

RCO likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is this the first complaint we've heard about looks? i thought everyone was unhappy with acceleration?

kithmo and RCO like this.
  11. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got no problems with acceleration - it goes plenty fa$t enough for me, and, if I'm willing to $ink the accelerator, it'll get up to $peed quite quickly enough.

RCO and bisco like this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i guess there haven't been any complaints then.(n) oh wait, there's the loss of storage space.(y)

kithmo and RCO like this.
  13. grape808

grape808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The one thing my old car had better was more trunk space. Plus I could throw stuff on the back seat floor without worrying about air flow.

bshef, mark27lim and RCO like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what it was?

15. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope, not that either - it's got a bigger boot (trunk? upload_2016-11-2_12-17-17.png ) than my last couple of cars.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the good thing is that there's an alternative solution - the Prius Prime with a different front and rear design. (And if you get the black interior, the front and rear centre console are black. The shifter area and steering wheel are still white, however).

With tax credits, it could end up being cheaper than the regular Gen 4. The Prime will arrive in dealers beginning this week (Don't know what the timeline is for NY)

raspy likes this.
  17. Archimedes

Archimedes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just bought my eco two last week. But if the price is right, I just might trade it in

RCO likes this.
  18. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Downunder, we probably won't get PRIME at all. A Motoring Journal said "It appears quite clear that the ... Prime won’t be sold in Australia. Just a couple of weeks ago the company’s marketing chief ... the Australian market is not ready for plug-in hybrid Prius.

My comment - yes, maybe not as a 4 seater, no car sells here with only 4 seats, a few have tried and sold poorly.

There are no Government incentives for EVs, hybrids or PHEVs - or anything much environmental - down here.

RCO and Tideland Prius like this.
  19. Archimedes

Archimedes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Would u be able to order it for delivery from Merica?

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Better to order from Asia - more likely to find a RHD country.

mark27lim, RCO and alanclarkeau like this.