1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 4 luggage/Boot compartment screen curtain has a very practical and much needed hand-grip.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Christopher Lynch, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Christopher Lynch

Christopher Lynch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    While visiting my nearby Toyota dealership recently, I was wandering around the sales showroom and chose to take a closer look at a brand new Prius (Gen 4). I was particularly curious @ the luggage/boot capacity. However, one aspect of change that caught my attention (my Gen 3 luggage curtain rear edge has already been repaired; extremely vulnerable/weak design) is the solid, bolt-on handle that negates the previous overall weakness. I wonder if it's possible (reckon Toyota owe all of us previous Gen owners a free/gift of this assembly) to obtain the assembly? It comprises, a triangular upper + lower plate, bolted together with 3 bolts; such a simple but absolutely essential mod.

Anyone on behalf of Toyota reading this? Please can I have one? No! I do not want to purchase a complete Curtain assembly, thanks.

Regards

Chris Lynch

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Need a picture of failed part.
    Are you talking about the so-called Tonneau cover?
    2008 in your profile would be Gen2?

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I think he's referring to the plastic grip that is on the leading edge of the roller-type tonneau cover that provides a place for fingers to grip as one pulls the cover towards you; that's missing on the Gen 2 and Gen 3 cars.

4. Christopher Lynch

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks. No we tend to call this particular part here in the UK a curtain.
    I did specify. Gen 3, but as I was having difficulty maintaining an online link at the time of posting, I didn't finish by editing my personal details I.e. Changed from a brilliant Gen2 after 263,000 miles to a younger 2011 Gen 3.

I have now updated my vehicle details.

So, we would call the cover you place over the interior of a soft top (convertible) car, once you have lowered the collapsible roof/hood, a tonneau. It usually has a zip down the centre. I had one for both my MGB and TR6 sports cars in my younger days.

However, the part that I'm referring to tends to be called a curtain in the UK.

Gen 4 has a simple but effective, easy fit handle grip in the centre of the 'trailing edge'. This was badly frayed/split when I bought the car, so glued/repaired it. However, it's a definite 'weak spot'.

I have asked my local dealership this morning, and they are looking into availability etc. I suspect I can only purchase the entire curtain (Tonneau in US/Canada) mechanism. Consequently, with their permission, I'll photograph the item, and form it using wood (varnish to a classy finish).

Thanks Guys.

Go Trump, go.

5. Christopher Lynch

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks Tideland.

Yes, as you can probably see, I've replied to wjtracey explaining the subtle differences between English/and American English???? etc, etc. Tonneau is a different part of a car here in the UK, usually used on a soft top (convertible) when the roof/hood is collapsed.

However, I have asked Toyota if this small handle/grip is available; doubtful, probably have to craft it from wood.

C'est la vie.

Regards

Chris Lynch

Tideland Prius likes this.
  6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am wondering if the "curtain" is different design in UK...but for our Gen2 we've been using it for 11-years and it is still holding up very well. Not sure what Gen3 has.