1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 4 parts rant

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Frederickdawg, May 17, 2016.

1. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wasn't aware that OEM parts would be excessively priced when a new model vehicle is introduced.

It was my understanding from many past vehicles that OEM parts remained steady from when the vehicle is made available until after and beyond being discontinued. Then actually after some time as parts are no longer made, they increase in price.

After some research, I've noticed gen 4 parts prices being ridiculous. Example OEM mudflaps, $150, really? Same Toyota parts for other current models $75-$50 range.

My question is this a Toyota USA policy, when a Camry or corolla new model comes out the prices for parts are initially over inflated? I ask since I noted current OEM parts for current models not being in the taking the urine range price wise. Or do you think the sellers are just jacking up the price to get as much as they can while the plate is hot?
    Would love to see what trade/dealee price on these parts are.

LG-H901 ?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My guess is they just keep escalating. Third gen are bad too: there's a thread here, someone bought one missing some little plastic trim pieces, that go just at the bottom corner of windshield. I've held these, when I dug down to the spark plugs; they're small plastic pieces, about the size of your hand. $40+ apiece, thank you very much.

Frederickdawg likes this.
  3. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well that's clever marketing, they probably know folks lose or damage that part more often hence more monies charged.

LG-H901 ?

Mendel Leisk likes this.