1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 4 Prius Delayed Until Late 2015 | Plug-in Late 2016

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by austingreen, Jun 30, 2014.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's like nothing was learned from the past...

You can't base the need for sustained sales on short-term incentives.

2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    True, however you certainly can use short term incentives to help new technology get a foothold.
    Or.... to compete against other well established technologies that are also getting incentives.

3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Where Do Hybrids, Diesels Sell Best? State-By-State Data Shows Answers

If you look at where hybrids sell best, and you know toyota has these statistics, its California at number 1, then 2)Texas then 3)Florida. Now in plug-ins vary from hybrids, but both states are in the top 5 in plug-ins no matter how you count. The bonus is you really only have to hit 2 or 3 dealerships in each of the big cities to get good sales in these states. Tesla isn't even allowed to sell from their showrooms in texas, only has one in austin and one in houston (building a third in dallas) and they have sold around 2000 bev's in state by internet.

4. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, SO the prius phv wasn't rolled out because toyota would lose money from poor sales? Because the dealers don't want to sell them.

But we need to ignore that the bwo biggest dealers in texas want to sell them, and used funds to get incentives to sell them, so that they would make profits. that directly contradicts the they can't roll them out in texas because dealers don't want them.

Toyota is not above taking $2500 in california subsidy and a HOV sticker + the federal subsidy, why is it good to sell them there but not in texas. Yeah the john all you have it they shouldn't sell because of subsidies. Sorry you can't have it both ways.

You can't use politics to get bigger fuel cell subsidies but claim you are too good to sell in texas. Its just a big lie.

Trollbait likes this.
  5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Attempting to apply decisions made 2.5 years ago to the much changed market today as if they were the same isn't constructive.

Making it sound like a double-standard or hypocritical is what?

Sorry, reality is that lessons have been learned and adjustments need to be made. Fortunately, flexibility is something Toyota planned for.

#105 john1701a, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  6. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You know the koch brothers are against subsidies that they don't get, and they get a lot of them. I think John uses this subsidy thing whenever he is losing an argument, just like the kochs. You never hear him speak against the other subsidies toyota takes.

1) Toyota gets lots of subsidies from the US taxpayer, less than gm, but more than ford. They were number 1 in cash for clunkers, and only toyota and gm were in the room with congress to write the plug-in tax credit bill, toyota getting the kwh reduced to 4 to include their planned vehicle.
    2) Toyota uses its political muscle to get bigger subsiies. It got federal money to move their truck manufacturing from higher cost california to lower cost san antonio. They are using state of texas subsidies to move US headquarters to texas.
    3) They have been very active with CARB politics, getting HOV stickers for the prius phv, and getting more and more zev credits for fcv as well as getting the number reduced for tesla and getting state subsidies of $5000/vehicle and $20M/year for hydrogen.
    a) The slow roll out of the prius phv is thought by many to be part of this politicial effort, and the sales only in carb states has never been explained by toyota corporate.

You most definitely do have a double standard. I assume toyota is selling in california partially because the subsidies mean high sales;) But sales in texas would be bad because the subsidies would just be short term?;)

The decission not to roll out the prius phv to texas appeared to be made last year. 2.5 years ago it just was a slow roll out. Now there appears to be an all out befuddlement. I can think of no excusses. It certainly wouldn't cost toyota much money at all to roll the car out to 5 non compliance states. I mean if this is not done on purpose.

If the goal is to sell more, sell them in some more states. If it is to educate, definitely they should have been on-board the austin energy/doe study, they were the only car company asked to participate that refused. Definitely rolling out to other states would even help sales in california as it would look less like toyota was against plug-ins.

#106 austingreen, Jul 8, 2014
  7. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Spot on. That sub-$20k price point is HUGE to get people into a hybrid.

I was initially going to buy a Mazda CX-5 as my minivan was getting too high up on miles. Since I had a leased Honda Civic at the time, I took a look at the Honda Insight since I realized I could actually save a ton of money with a hybrid. I figured it would be a good idea to test drive the Prius C while I was at it since it would only cost me a little more (but still had a sticker price under $20k). After test driving each, the Insight was a joke and I got the Prius C.

Later I got a Mustang Convertible thinking it would be a fun ride for a weekend car since I needed a third car in the family, but ended up trading it in a year later for my Prius Plug-in, and couldn't be happier as a 2-Prius family. I would have never considered a $30k hybrid (much less a plug-in one) had I not gotten into the hybrid game with my first sub-$20k Prius C (although I'll admit the HOV stickers helped too), and find myself enjoying the PiP significantly more than the convertible.

However, at this point, my next car will be a full electric, and if Toyota is stuck playing with the FCV stuff in time I will likely jump ship to Nissan/Tesla. I love the Ford Focus EV, but I would never actually consider buying a compliance car. I think the market will change significantly in a few years so it should be interesting to watch the nex gen plug-ins come out. Don't they actually have to sell the cars in order to get ZEV credits? So if no one buys the FCV then they get no credits?

This is a legitimate concern for those of us with long distance commutes. At 45 miles each way, with no work charging available, I would be screwed if my range falls below 89 miles. Even with gen 2 Leaf having "150 miles", if it's "150" exaggerated it might not even work out for me. Hopefully they come out with true 150 miles, not inflated "150 miles", but it's unlikely. Time will tell.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Like I said, you thrive on debates.

You also leave out detail, like what how I said those subsides should be used... calling it a "subsidy thing" to stimulate a response. I'm not taking the bait though.

9. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    John, you make vague declarations and then cry 'foul' when people leave out detail.
    Here is what you said...

So just what did you mean? What lesson is it that wasn't learned from the past?

Do you disagree that incentives, short term or not, would help sales and therefore dealers as Austin said?

Trollbait and austingreen like this.
  10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Then I get accused of bringing back up the already concluded topic when asked to post detail again. Like I said, it's the debate and I'm not interested.

Fact is, the plans & goals have been stated.

11. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Does this forum have a filter? I already programmed in my head of 'Toyota Cult follower'. Nothing to read, next.

I came here to chat and be informed. Not brainwashed.

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Use the IGNORE feature. It works well for most of the filtering for browser interfacing. Apps like Tapatalk don't offer options like that though.

Fortunately, the banter like we're seeing now doesn't last long. It's the regular result of a next step having taken place... in this case, some predictions having been confirmed.

For my part in that, I'm sorry and have turned on ignore too. Those restirring of old debates are pointless.

13. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    So you state people have not learned from the past without stating what that lesson is, then refer to predictions being confirmed, again without stating what those were??

John, I think you have some interesting ideas, however you make it difficult to discuss those ideas because you make us guess what the specifics are.

Trollbait likes this.
  14. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Please stop spouting non-sense then, and I will stop responding.

It is nonsense that Toyota is maximizing education by restricting cars to CARB states. It is nonsense that toyota doesn't sell better where they get incentives, and it is nonsense that toyota texas dealers are being helped by Toyota's strategy of not selling in the state.

No old debates, but do not pretend that people agree with you that incentives don't help bootstrap sales, or that CARB incentives are the only good incentives.

SO yes, I agree with zythyn that toytota given that the next generation will not be available for over 2 years should start selling the current phv in more states. I do not think that if they do this well that it will cost them a great deal of money, as much smaller ford was able to do this.

The quicker toyota corporate at least gets plug-ins in the hands of dealers, the more likely it will be that they will be able to sell the thing profitably. If you want more plug-in sales, you probably want the prius phv rolled out to more states soon, and not to wait until 2017. I don't see anything controversial about that.

#114 austingreen, Jul 8, 2014
    Trollbait and Zythryn like this.
  15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    :ROFLMAO:
    Discussions with him in the past have been stimulating and educational. Now I think he might be suffering from PTSD after spending too much time in Volt fanboi lairs.
    If Toyota doesn't expand PPI sales to other states after this announcement of the next generation not coming for at least 2 years, I will take it for more confirmation that Toyota wants nothing to do with a plug.

Zythryn and austingreen like this.
  16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If I converted our two Prius, 2003 and 2010, into Toyota stock, I would be a lot more interested. <grins>

Opinions about the market are easy. Facts and data, a little harder to come by.

Bob Wilson

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    How can that be ?!? Marketing just revealed those cutsie PiP ads. Ok, it's not the hundreds of millions spent on the hydrogen lobby - but I know that I for one certainly feel mollified.
    ;)

#117 hill, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    austingreen likes this.
  18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Facts & Data can be painful to accept, which is how all the spin comes about. The cold hard reality of what the competition is and who the audience is has become an endless source of rhetoric. Scope is arbitrarily just cherry-picked. Basic principles of business are just swept aside too. It never ceases to amaze me how things like affordability are so easily dismissed.

Fortunately, it's easy enough to see past all that... once you start seeking out the facts & data.

Interestingly, we're seeing a pattern now. Toyota waits for the competition to complete their rollout before making a move. It avoids getting caught up in any fallout. And this particular stage, what a payoff! They were able to stay clear of the many troubles with Volt and the rating problems with Ford. There's a fresh canvas now for them to paint a picture of what a well-balanced plug-in hybrid has to offer.

19. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, it is safer to follow.
    However Toyota was bold enough to go first 15 years ago. It is one of the reasons we were so happy to give them our family's business.
    They are now following, which is the reason other companies are getting our business.

We are disappointed by this, however I do understand that the mainstream market is a larger market than the early adopter market. I just hope they can grab more of that market.

austingreen, Trollbait and TomSwift like this.
  20. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Well I guess it's time to come clean..... john1701a is my other userid. ;)

#120 Troy Heagy, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    PriusC_Commuter likes this.