1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 4 Prius Shopping - Punch List?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Tour de Prius, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Tour de Prius

Tour de Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Good morning all. I am in the market shopping for my first Prius in the SE MI area. Never owned a Toyota or a Prius before so I am approaching this potential car buying experience with trepidation. Based off the information I have amassed to-date, I have created the following punch-list of items.

1) Looking to find a 3 Touring in either Blizzard Pearl or Sea Glass Pearl. This alone is nearly impossible within a 200 mile radius of SE MI.

2) I like the Moonstone interior more than the black. Can anyone make an argument for either interior choice?

3) Need to order a set of the 15 in steel wheels that will be mounted to snow tires for the winter. Do the TPMs have to be reprogrammed going from the 17" wheel/tire combo to the 15" wheel and tire combo?

4) Have dealership reprogram the reverse klaxon continuous sound.

5) Would like to order or have installed the 3M Paint Protection Film. Too many gravel haulers and 18th century dirt roads here.

6) Windshield ease of cracking. Obvious this will not be an issue new, but I will have to monitor it as I drive.

7) Check for (after delivery) door loading label change.

8) Do not want the TSS package on a "newer" 2017 vehicle. Hoping to find an earlier build vehicle where this package did not become standard.

9) Takata air bag recall. Not sure if it applies to the Prius, but I read a story where over 60% of the number of recalls from the Takata air bags have not been completed.

10) And lastly, looking for a front hood "bug deflector". I do not see there is one on the market for the Gen 4. I would need this as I will be driving too many daily commuting miles in farmland where summer bugs are out en masse. Anyone have suggestions on this?

Thanks again for all your helpful knowledge in advance.

CoastRider likes this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2017 Blizzard Pearl Two purchased last October
    1. I traveled 150 miles to the DC are to get a better price from a salesman who also owns a Gen 1 Prius.White is the most visible color from a distance. I wanted a spare tire and felt the extra cost for a Trim Three was not worth it for me.

2. I got the beige interior because the black interior looked too dark for me.

3. Many people here run snow tires without TPM and just leave the light on. From what I understand, the carr cannot have 6 tires programmed t the same time.

4. Good idea. I had the dealer to this at the 5K mile tire rotation.

5. Probably a good idea.

6. My trim Two has survived a hail storm with minor pitting. I understand the Eco and higher may have a heat-reducing windshield that appears to be more fragile.

7. Why? It appears any option (including just carpeted floor mats) gets this sticker. Some dealers order all their cars with this option. ot a big deal, IMHO.

8. The 2017 has TSS-P safety features as standard and the headlights have reduced glare compared with the 2016. The 2017.5 added a couple more safety features. I enjoy my radar cruise control.If you do not want the safety features, you are limited to a 2016. :eek:

9. 2016 and some early 2017 (before mine) Prius had an airbag recall, IIRC.

10. A bug deflector sounds like a pretty good idea but I have not noticed excessive bugs on my windshield. YMMV.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Putting TPMS sensors on the snow tires will put you into a realm of hurt. New sensors require either an expensive visit to the dealership to initialize, or investment in equipment and know how. The dealership intervention in particular is onerous: a twice yearly service that makes snow tire implementation almost impossible.

Simplest is to just use conventional valves, and fugedabout TPMS for the winter. There will be a little amber light on the dash. Put the regular wheels back on in spring: light will go out. As long as: there's not some inspection in your area, that will fail your vehicle due to the light. If the latter is the case I don't know: move to Canada??

If you want to use a steel rim, this worked for us, has correct hub opening, so no spacer rings needed:

Corolla steel rim, part no: 42611-02471 (2003-2008 corolla or matrix, CE, LS, S)
    steel rim lug nuts, part no: 90942-01007 (plain, open-ended, galvanized)

With our 3rd gen we alternate between 215/45R17 OEM and 195/65R15 (Michelin X-Ice), no problems.

Not sure about that. Leads to uneven appearance if you ever remove it. Prone to peeling, lifting, fraying? I put that in the same category as window tint, avoid it. Just use a generous following distance might mitigate a lot of the issues, though not all. That tends to help with your mpg too: allows you to coast up to slow downs ahead, avoid the need to brake.

#3 Mendel Leisk, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    all the best with your search.(y)

5. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just one person's opinion:
    I would never discourage someone from applying the 3M protective film on the front of the Prius. Mine seems to scratch and nick more easily than any other car I've had. The 3M film has been a good investment. (I applied it to a previous Toyota I owned in the past, and it never peeled or faded or changed color. It worked great for many years.)

Window tint is fantastic, especially in the very sunny & hot areas I drive through. I would never be without it. (It's silly to tell people not to get it. must be the old guys. LOL. But that is their opinion and they are entitled to it. Some people love window tint, and others complain that they can't see out of it. To each his own.)

Some windshields have cracked during the first year. I've been lucky so far.

Yes there is a airbag recall for the '16 right passenger side. I can't get anyone at Toyota to confirm if it is a Takata airbag, or not.

Also a recall for the foot operated parking brake. And a technical service bulletin for the upper rear strut nuts.

My 2016 does not have any Toyota safety sense gizmos, and I drive just fine.

I've always preferred lighter interiors as black just feels too hot to me. But again that is just my personal opinion. Good luck to you.

#5 CoastRider, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  6. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The recalls mentioned also applied to early 2017. My car, delivered last October has not had any recalls.

7. Trelauney

Trelauney New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The #2 might be harder than #1 with vehicles on lots - I would have gone with the moonstone interior if it were available, but saw a lot more black.

#9 Shouldn't be an issue if it's still on the lot. The dealer should have a hold on vehicles that have recalls associated - it's easy recall money for them anyways. Though they should also have paperwork if they already replaced the airbag or anything.

#10 It may be just me, but I've gotten more bugs on the front bumper than the windshield, presumably due to the airflow.

8. Tour de Prius

Tour de Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thank you everyone for your information and knowledge. I guess my punch list is moot right now because I cannot locate the Prius I desire in the color combination I want in my area. But I just know what the dealer can locate it (ha ha).

On a different note, anyone here ever use your Costco membership to get a better discount?

9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Costco works only on what they think the dealer currently has in stock.
    I tried using them since my preferred dealer is on their program. Costco insisted on directing me to a different dealer. Apparently when they do that you can only go there for that Costco purchase.
    I decided to buy from my preferred dealer without the Costco discount. My dealer had my car in stock but Costco would not change since their systems said it was not in stock at my dealer.

RCO likes this.
  10. Tour de Prius

Tour de Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Well, I put a security deposit on a white touring three. Sadly it only has black interior. The dealership had a moonstone on a touring three in white, I saw it after hours. Next day during my inquiry to the dealership, it was sold. Ugh.

So I have exhausted my search within 300 miles of SE MI to find a white touring three with moonstone. No luck. Dealer said they can find it but I would lose $500 in performing and getting a car this way.

Turns out this dealership is the preferred one through Costco, so I saved another $900. I can beat the price and this dealership offers a free lifetime power train warranty.

July 31st is the last day for the 1750 incentive, so I may need to purchase the car later today.

What are people's thoughts about extended warranties? I know generally they do not make a good financial spence, but I plan to drive this car for awhile and I average about 30,000 / year. So, could it be worth it?

11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you changed your color preference at Costco's auto site they would likely recommend another dealer. Costco only recommends a dealer if Costco's system says the dealer has that vehicle in stock. Their system is not always correct though.

Tour de Prius and RCO like this.
  12. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you get the moonstone interior, be sure to invest in 4-5 cans of Scotch-Gard. You will not regret it. My 2016 Three w/ATP, (delivered to the dealer March 2016 and purchased in June 2016, had none of the recalls you mentioned.

Tour de Prius likes this.
  13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe your vehicle was eligible for at least one recall. Have you checked Toyota's site?

Lookup Safety Recalls & Service Campaigns by VIN

14. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The only recall my vehicle was eligible for was the parking brake clip recall. It was not eligible for any of the recalls the OP mentioned. :)

Prodigyplace likes this.
  15. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    You can view Toyota recalls at Voluntary Recalls | Toyota

The only ones affecting the Gen 4 Prius were the parking brake recall (affected all Gen 4's through mid-2016) and a front passenger seat airbag replacement that affected under 10,000 cars built before mid-2016 (mine was one of them).

The parking brake fix was relatively simple while the airbag replacement was a major job.

16. Tour de Prius

Tour de Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thanks everyone. I checked, this car (black interior) is not currently subject to any recalls. I pulled the trigger and got it last night. Not taking delivery of it until Saturday. Having the back up beep reprogrammed and the 3M film put on. Overall, a fairly pleasant buying experience and I couldn't be happier with the price I paid.

On a different note, the dealership had a LFA and and brand new LF 350 on the Lexus side of the dealership.

pjm877 and RCO like this.
  17. mariposer

mariposer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    What should I pay for three touring with carpet option, blizzard pearl

18. Tour de Prius

Tour de Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Just received another little "perk" for using the Costco auto buying program. I received an email today for a coupon for "50% off Part, Service, and Accessories" (up to a $200 maximum). So, I can get up to $400 worth of extra accessories for $200. That is a nice deal. I was wanting to get the all weather mats (actually the Prius Prime) and the cargo hold area mat too. Plus I figured, I can order a few other items (wiper blades, filters, etc)

RCO likes this.
  19. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I found Toyota all weather mats for my Gen 4 on Amazon from a dealer cheaper than getting them directly. I got the part numbers from my sales rep.

RCO likes this.
  20. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I've read on here, the wiper blades are quite long lived but YMMV.

Prodigyplace likes this.