1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 4 Trailer Lighting

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by William Redoubt, May 9, 2016.

1. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am looking for instructional help with adding trailer lighting to my Gen 4.

The hitch is installed and I am racking my bike on a Curt tray-style rack. It blocks the license plate, so I used my 3d printer and fabricated a nice adjustable bracket to mount the a lighted license plate frame on the center uptube.

I ran power temporarily from the license plate lamp (FWIW, the lamps are LEDs, which required replacing the lamps on the new lighted (relocated) bracket., but want to get the proper wiring in place to tow my Harbor Freight 4 x 8 trailer, as well as light the relocated license plate. I took apart the hatchback lid and did some minor "surgery" on one of the license plate lamps to get the power to the outside of the car.

Does anyone make a "plug and play" trailer lighting kit for the Gen 4? If not, what are the issues?

I am not clear how those translator boxes work, but do know that with a mix of incandescent lighting and LEDs, just splicing into the harness is not wise. I would assume a plug and play kit is the way to go.

2. Keith in NS

Keith in NS New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    William
    I am at the same point. I have gotten to all the wires, but don't know what happens if I attach a normal converter box (from my 2010 Prius). I had to remove the light lenses to get at the wires.