1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 4: ugly

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by yeldogt, Jul 23, 2016.

1. mertechperformance

mertechperformance Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I loathe gen i and ii. Liked iii, liked iv even better, damn near love the look of my little stupid, inefficient pri C

RCO and bisco like this.
  2. Absolu22

Absolu22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I could not care less of what people think of my car... If you do, you need to move on.

Let's put it this way! You don't buy a Prius because of its looks...getting a Prius is a rationale choice.
    Kudos to those who drives a Prius, I love you smart people.

3. Dylan Doxey

Dylan Doxey Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And there was Fast Times at Ridgemont High ...

[​IMG]

4. capnbirdseye

capnbirdseye Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Yhe Prius looks fine, lots of cars are far ugliIt's just the usual anti Prius brigade making these comments, if the same car had a BMW badge they would be fawning all over it saying what an amazing futuristic design

Absolu22 likes this.
  5. capnbirdseye

capnbirdseye Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    The Prius looks fine, lots of cars are far uglier from the back end, It's just the usual anti Prius brigade making these comments, if the same car had a BMW badge they would be fawning all over it saying what an amazing futuristic design and they can't wait to order one

6. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I disagree!

In cars, houses and women ... looks are a personal choice, and I would not argue with anyone that has positive or negative thoughts about any of the above.

What I disagree with is the assertion that if it had a BMW badge people "would be fawning all over it.". I have been reading PC for 7-8 years, and I think that most PC writers are pretty astute, informed, and knowledgable. How many "anti-Prius brigade" members do you think spend their time reading a Prius Forum?

7. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Only today, I had a chap I didn't know ask me after I'd parked the PRIUS if I liked it - his next comment - "it looks great, real sharp".

Absolu22, RCO and krmcg like this.
  8. RCE1

RCE1 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I've had strangers stop me in parking lots and comment about how much they liked the design. Works okay for me.

9. Dylan Doxey

Dylan Doxey Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think a lot of us, including myself, had high hopes for what the Gen 4 would bring. When it didn't deliver, we were disappointed and maybe even hostile about it. Oh well. Sometimes you just don't get what you want.

It doesn't mean the Gen 4 is bad. As a standalone car it's pretty cool. And it's definitely the most refined well engineered Prius yet.

Rock on Gen 4 drivers.​

Absolu22, Felt, tucatz and 4 others like this.
  10. INFINIT tony

INFINIT tony Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    i didnt like the gen 4 at first but it finally grew on me with a little modifications

Dylan Doxey and krmcg like this.
  11. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    What modifications did you make that improved it?

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  12. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Today I seen 2 2017 Prius side by side at stop light ! Double ugly out ! Then seen a prime ! Wow! How could it be both almost the same but one was a Huge mistake.

13. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Indeed, somebody made "light" work of that design.......(Badoom Tishhhh!!)

iPhone ?

RCO likes this.
  14. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    WOW dudes! Never thought I'd hear a Prius compared to an AMC Pacer LOL. Far out dude!

15. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Probably in the minority of PC opinions on this topic, but I really like the look of the back, and do not like the look of the front.

Gen 2 from behind always said 'slow car, I have to get around this thing!' Gen 3 just had a big ol' rear end needed to go on a diet. Those rear light fins way too big, I banged my arm into them many times. The new model trimmed away all the fat, and now it looks fine. I would have preferred a more conventional horizontal tail light design. I sometimes feel a little teenie tiny bit sorry for drivers behind me that have to follow a distracting z z light in front of them. For miles.

The headlights however look really cool! My 4 touring has a combination of LED bilamps, a whole parking light show, and fog lamps. Love the look. My friends call it BatMobile. My one negative comment regards all the weird angles on the hood and fenders. Yuck. Looks like the ugly designs on the new Lexus SUVs. What is the point? Also, the hood is too long, empty space in there. I've always appreciated the short hood lines on Prius.

#95 tucatz, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  16. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unfortunately, I have heard the Gen 2 referred to as a "Road Slug" online in the past.......and I guess you're right, the design from the rear does evoke impressions of something ponderously dragging its bloated self along the road.

However, as many have learned, it's nowhere near as slow as they think it is. Indeed, in London, very few people think of these vehicles as slow. Paradoxically, they can give quite a turn of speed when pushed in urban conditions - something I have repeatedly personally witnessed watching other Prii.

iPhone ?

Absolu22, RCO and tucatz like this.
  17. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I know an owner of a gen 2 that 'lovingly' refers to the car as a'pig boat in mud'. Ha!

18. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are many strange design elements to the G4, but when they're all added together you're left with a drag coefficient of just 0.24. Not many cars can match that, let alone surpass it, so with this new design there's method to the apparent madness that positively helps keep the fuel consumption low.

wrprice, tucatz and krmcg like this.
  19. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My new car got its first real car wash yesterday. Soapy sponge and bucket and chamois, hand wash. OMG, this car is a lot of work - all those creases and edges, nooks and crannies. The tail end alone required several passes. Aerodynamics are a b@$@.

Data Daedalus, RCO and Dylan Doxey like this.
  20. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ha ha, agreed. My advice for what it's worth - forget the showroom finish at the tail end. Certainly in my rain enhanced climate, it never lasts very long anyway!

Data Daedalus likes this.