1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 4 vs Camry LE?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by eustachio, May 1, 2018.

1. eustachio

eustachio Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been eyeing up a gen 4 Prius for a while.

But the new 2018 Camry LE Hybrid has very close mpg, more power and a is a bit more comfortable. It has worse storage, but I don't need much space anyway.

What would have you pick the Prius over the Camry?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Buy the one you enjoy driving if MPG is close. The lower the MPG, the less benefit of an improvement in a $$ point of view. I looked at the CAMRY Hybrid 18 mths ago, but at that stage the storage was considerably less convenient, but now with fold down backrest on CAMRY, that's improved things a bit.

3. robsnyder20

robsnyder20 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My brother had an 08 Camry hybrid and I bought the Gen4 off the experience from his Camry. The Camry is way more comfortable than the prius so its a matter of opinion. If you have adult passengers in the back or some teenagers, I would say go with the Camry, if its just you, go with the Prius. I looked into the 2012 + version like you did and I would be skeptical of the MPG's they are saying people are getting. He got roughly 34 MPG with his and on the 2nd gen camry hybrid they seemed to be averaging roughly 38. My Gen 4 has no problems driving the wheels for extended distances unlike the camry hybrid does due to the extra size and weight.

RCO likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    with the same driving technique, you may do much better in the gen4 for mpg's. they really are two very different vehicles. i love my wife's hycam for long trips, smooth, quiet and comfortable.
    i love my prius around town and locally. nimble, easy to park, and lots of hatch space.

RCO likes this.
  5. goinskiing

goinskiing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Its a matter of preference. I think the Camry would be better suited for longer distance travelling due to size and comfort. If you want a more classic looking sedan the Camry is also the better bet. For me, I chose the Prius because I like the more modern look, great for my 20 mile commute and drives great around town.

6. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're one of the few who envisage camping - the PRIUS is the only option (of these 2) as @JimmyPri would vouch.

RCO likes this.
  7. eustachio

eustachio Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks all. This would be our family car, we have 2 small kids, so would be used for long and short trips. I know the Camry is more comfortable for that use case, but I love the mpgs of the Prius! I would probably go for softex seats.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If your family line is tall, your kids will appreciate the Camry later in life.

However, the Prius is more flexible for people and cargo and also, you can get more toys in the Prius and still get excellent mpg. On the Camry, once you move out of the LE, the rated mpg drops to 46mpg combined.

SofTex is easy to clean up if your kids accidentally spill something. The LATCH anchors are also easy to access.

RCO likes this.
  9. goinskiing

goinskiing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I love my Prius and we’re going to take it on a 300 mile drive in about a month with our kiddos. Will be my first distance trip with a Prius since my previous one was leased and this one is purchased.

iPhone ?

10. eustachio

eustachio Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I should have added, a friend has two teenagers and their only car is a Prius, they do regular long road trips as a family. I guess it's all relative.

11. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I rarely have passengers, but just this last week, I had a few passengers in the back seat, including one who was very tall - theyhad no complaints, said they had plenty of room.

RCO and krmcg like this.
  12. eustachio

eustachio Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just rented a Prius yesterday for our 3 week vacation. 200 miles and an indicated 55 mpg on first trip.

Power is far superior to what I expected, it has all the pickup I need and is satisfyingly torquey. My wife was sceptical about it swallowing our full size suitcases, but it did, plus some more! DRCC is great, first time using it, I want!

Feels a bit noisier under hard acceleration than current home car, fusion hybrid. Road noise seems a bit higher too, although could have just been rough roads outside Seattle. It's seemed fine on smoother roads.
    Seats seemed very comfortable at first, but I missed no lumbar support, especially after 3 hours.

Overall, really really like it, but might need some lumbar hack for long drives. Or just take up Pilates!

breakfast, jerrymildred and RCO like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oem tires are definitely noisy on rough pavement. hycam will be smoother, quieter, more comfortable seats, not sure if adjustable lumbar is on the le, you'd have to check.

what kinda mpg's does the fusion return?

14. goinskiing

goinskiing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I drive Uber occasionally and definitely no complaints. I also recently rode in my father in laws ‘17 volt...in the back, and boy was it cramped. Coming back to my Prius I sat in the back just to see the difference and there is a ton of room in the Prius.

iPhone ?

15. eustachio

eustachio Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fusion, indicated 42 mpg after about 4000 miles mixed use. Feels no more powerful than Prius oddly, it has about 80 more HP.

Ford has good handling, but Prius is more fun to drive!