1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 5 Prius and Model 3 reviewed together: A highly biased review from a Tesla fan/owner

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Gokhan, May 16, 2023.

1. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Edit: After fully watching this video, I found it highly biased toward Model 3. It is not worth watching.

[/USER]

#1 Gokhan, May 16, 2023
    Last edited: May 17, 2023
    Kasra and bwilson4web like this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Nice enough and he brings out an important observation: renters do better with a hybrid when there is no overnight parking charging.

There were a few nits but nothing worth posting time.

Bob Wilson

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's interesting, because in a recent post in the reviews thread, an engineer claims that prius body and interior are top notch.
    the interior thing got me, because they've always been so cheap and rattly

4. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    @bwilson4web and others, if I had fully watched this review, I wouldn't post it because it is biased trash from a Tesla fan and owner.

Consumer Reports rates the ride and noise of Prius better than Model 3, but yet this guy was talking about how Model 3 rode much better and quieter.

He then talks about how Model 3 has better trunk space. Really? Prius is a hatchback. The whole car is the trunk space when you fold the rear seats down.

In the middle of the review, he promotes his T-shirt for two minutes.

He then goes on saying that plug-in hybrids are "worst of both worlds." :eek:

Total trash, not worth watching if you haven't!

daisy555 and Preebee like this.
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Then why the hell did you post it?

6. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    As I said, I had only watched it briefly before I posted it.

7. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And unfortunately not easy to remove posts as I’ve found out. : }

Gokhan likes this.
  8. Toothpicker

Toothpicker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I believe this is a pretty honest review. He didn’t trash Prius. His observation of loud engine noise is so true from an Ev owner perspective…. I rented ModelY for a week and I had the same feeling that any ICE car producing significant engine noise.

I also believe that the is The Arch Enemy which is not allowing Toyota to make absolutely perfect inexpensive commuter cars. And this Enemy is Toyota itself. I.e. Toyota intentionally using cheap materials and component in a base models and gradually improving their quality within a trims and from Totyota to Lexus. For example, a trash sound systems in the base models and “upgraded” Jbl sound system is worst then stock Vw or Mazda sound. Toyota trying to steer their customers toward more expensive trims and then into a Lexus.
    Same story within Lexus line. My gx460 “Lexus premium sound” had a crappy paper cone speakers, so to push people to pay for a Mark Levinson , which was packaged at significant premium.
    So, we should probably thank Tesla and not Toyota for this new Prius design , as Tesla and Kia raising the bar for the base models amenities and material quality.
    Idk what games Toyota is playing, but I was not able to test drive new Prius for two month now. I called 5 local dealerships and Toyota directly - no help. I was not able to test drive Rav4 Prime ever… I.e. at least for two years.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  9. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    According to Consumer Reports, Model 3 has more road noise then Prius.

I never hear the ICE engine on my Prius Prime. EV driving and HV driving sounds almost the same. But then I don't floor it like this reviewer, and why should I?

Yes, the JBL sound system on my Gen 4 Prius Prime Limited is pretty bad—possibly worse than the base sound system I had on my Gen 4 Prius Prime XLE. It is too bad that they have got stuck with JBL due to some corporate agreement. JBL has always made cheap products—sold as a cheap alternative next to premium Pioneer products at Walmart.

10. TGTGUUD

TGTGUUD Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    To be fair you always get the “worst of both worlds” and “best of both worlds” at the same time. I don’t have to watch the video to guess what was talked about. A plug-in hybrid would suffer the shortcomings of a BEV like needing a plug, reduced performance in cold weather. And it of course needs oil changes, spark plugs, etc. All the maintenance an ICE needs.
    In the end it’s personal preferences.

11. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The claim that EVs require less maintenance than ICE vehicles is hogwash.

With an EV, you still need six-month tire rotations and multipoint inspections. My Toyota dealer adds only $10 for Toyota Genuine Motor Oil synthetic oil change on top of these ($50 vs. $40), which is entirely negligible. The difference in the wait time with an oil change (five minutes?) is also negligible.

You then need regular cabin air filter changes for both.

You need tire replacements for both.

You need brake maintenance for both, as well as possible replacement of suspension parts.

You don't need an engine air filter for an EV, but that is a $20 DIY item every other year.

Spark plugs are rated for 12 years or 120,000 miles—for most people, this is beyond the ownership window of the vehicle.

An EV will possibly require a very expensive traction-battery replacement at 12 years and definitely by 15 years or so—talking about maintenance!

Of course, I am talking about Toyota ICEs, which have nearly perfect reliability and don't require any work during the ownership of the vehicle.

On top of this, add the poor reliability of Tesla, which will require very expensive repairs outside the warranty window.

#11 Gokhan, May 18, 2023
    Last edited: May 18, 2023
    mountaineer likes this.
  12. TGTGUUD

TGTGUUD Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah you are 100% correct. I do my own maintenance in the garage so I am all very familiar with this. The biggest up side with an EV is no annual oil change. If I have a Prius Prime I wouldn’t really mind changing the oil once a year, rotate the tires once maybe twice. Change the brake fluid every 4 years. ATF every 6 years. Differential fluid, brake pads, rotors, shocks…I’ve done about everything myself. I don’t let anyone make a dime on my maintenance. The only things I can’t do on my own is tire changes, alignment and those where specialty tools are required.
    I am already doing these to 2 ICE cars, 1 being a hybrid. The Prius or a model 3 is going to be the 3rd. So not having to change oil annually is still a benefit because I don’t keep 0W16 in stock. Changing ATF is not an easy task too. It is needed for ECVT transaxle. Besides there is no denying model 3 drives better than the Prime in EV only mode.

#12 TGTGUUD, May 18, 2023
    Gokhan likes this.
  13. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You should be able to get a 6-gallon bag of TGMO 0W-16 for about $100 after price negotiation.

GTMO 0W16 BK SN 6GAL BAG IN BOX

You will have to negotiate hard if you buy the quart bottles.

GTMO 0W16 CS SN 6X1W

ATF change is not required, but it is probably a good idea at 60,000 miles/6 years. There are no wet clutches, brake bands, and torque converter in the Prius ATM—only a single one-way clutch—so, there should be minimal wear. A fresh ATF would help get better fuel economy. I don't know how much oil oxidation happens after 60,000 miles. Too much oxidation can increase the acidity and corrosion-induced wear.

#13 Gokhan, May 18, 2023
  14. Toothpicker

Toothpicker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    On top of this, add the poor reliability of Tesla, which will require very expensive repairs outside the warranty window.[/QUOTE]

You cannot beat Toyota for low true cost of ownership if you own the car for 5 years or longer.
    My 2012 Prius C is probably all time winner…
    I have 198k miles, free oil changes , free battery replacement and free car washes for a life.
    I am on my second set of brake pads, tires and spark plugs….

yeah, and Toyota is only car brand which I can confidently keep after b2b warranty expires.
    I.e. if I like my Toyota I keep it for around 200k miles =10+ years.
    Maybe this is thing of the past. Technology changes so fast nowadays.

15. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, it is hard to keep up with the evolution of the advanced driver-assistance system (ADAS).

16. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You edited the post to say it wasn't worth watching... same edit could have removed the media reference altogether.

17. TGTGUUD

TGTGUUD Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s not going to develop a problem within the drivetrain warranty period if you don’t change the ATF. But if you want the Toyota to behave like one long term definitely change it. I do agree ECVTs are much easier on the fluid.

Gokhan likes this.
  18. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 198k miles, free oil changes , free battery replacement and free car washes for a life.
    I am on my second set of brake pads, tires and spark plugs….

yeah, and Toyota is only car brand which I can confidently keep after b2b warranty expires.
    I.e. if I like my Toyota I keep it for around 200k miles =10+ years.
    Maybe this is thing of the past. Technology changes so fast nowadays.[/QUOTE]

Wow…what dealership did you buy from? Free battery changes for life? Mine gives free oil change but that’s it.

#18 daisy555, May 18, 2023
    Gokhan likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mine gives free donuts :oops:

daisy555 likes this.
  20. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I drive 40 mins to the next Toyota dealership, I can get a manicure and free key fob batteries. If I’m in the area and need batteries, I stop by. : )

bisco and Gokhan like this.