1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 5 Prius and Prius Prime owners thread

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Gokhan, Jan 3, 2023.

1. PhoS

PhoS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Congrats! Yea you're not able to remove the KPH from the screen but if the rest is highly configurable though the menus. You'll get used to it after a little bit.

Reactor likes this.
  2. PhoS

PhoS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I installed mine yesterday, not difficult but not that fun either. You have to pull down on the plastics pretty hard to fit the bit driver in for the security bolt which requires some finagling.

3. HoustonEvolution

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    interesting. Mine just arrived and I haven't installed it yet. Crazy to see such a price for small piece of metal that's only cut flat. But there's no others making them for less (yet).

4. Petern

Petern New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Does anyone have issue with the trunk not opening? Car on or off and for some reason won't open anymore.

Also, is there any way to silence the door unlocking with the key fob? I adjusted the settings and it still honks twice.

#204 Petern, Apr 16, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
  5. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    You have an LE, so you will have to manually unlock the hatch in some way after it's been locked.

Options:
    1. Push the door unlock switch on the inside of door.
    2. Press the unlock button on your keyfob twice within 5 seconds.
    3. Grip the driver's door handle for 2 sec.
    4. Customize the car settings to automatically unlock all doors when placing your hand near the driver's door handle instead of just the driver's door.

Petern likes this.
  6. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Anyone else feeling silly and looking at engine cover options since Toyota isn't giving us one? I'm even slightly considering getting the cover from a Lexus UX 200 and seeing if I could paint it black and replace the L with a T. So far the only other US Toyotas with the M20A engine are the Corolla and Corolla Cross, and those don't come with an engine cover either. I'm not even sure if any Toyotas worldwide with the M20 series engine get a cover.

7. Petern

Petern New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Thank you @Hammersmith! Trunk & doors opening now, as for the horn confirmations, turns out to be the alarm.

mikey_t likes this.
  8. PhoS

PhoS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Not really, I ditched the one on my other Toyota as well. How often are you under the hood?

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I thought those covers were just there so the luxury car owner didn't see the 'mess' of the mechanicals while adding washer fluid.

drash, PhoS and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. Billy56

Billy56 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Hi Phos....with all due respect, you are quite WRONG on this. I am somewhat of a tire expert...and have driven over 1.72 million miles on over inflated passenger car tires. 6 different models of cars. NEVER had any uneven wear or problems of any kind

mountaineer likes this.
  11. Billy56

Billy56 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Hi Reactor....."40 plus MPG"..?? Your car is capable of 75+ MPG. Takes learning some hypermiling techniques. I average over 81 MPG on my 2020 Prius....after driving it 294,000 miles!

mountaineer likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and the right circumstances

mikey_t and drash like this.
  13. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You try C-HR accessories? I think they even have TRD accessories. Try https://toyotaparts.bochtoyotasouth.com/oem-parts/toyota-engine-cover-1121237140

14. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I looked at it, but the North American C-HR used the 3ZR engine. To be able to just snap the engine cover onto a Prius, it has to be made for a car with a M20A engine.

The European hybrid C-HR(and Chinese IOZA) came with the M20A, but that one doesn't have an engine cover either.

#214 Hammersmith, Apr 19, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
  15. PhoS

PhoS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Sorry not up for debating common knowledge. You can find 1000 articles online that reflect my statement.

Discount Tire | Tires and Wheels for Sale | Online & In-Person

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There is a range between car placard and max sidewall pressures though. Then differences between tire models can mean a tire is loaded for particular car at max sidewall. Some tire models have a side wall pressure of 36psi.

running higher than the placard pressure can be done without uneven wear. Just be smart about it, and check for uneven wear. Actually, check for that no matter what. 2005 owners reported under inflated wear when at placard pressure back in the day.

drash likes this.
  17. Petern

Petern New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Is it possible to add more 'favorite' radio station slots? There is an option in the settings on older models to add up to 36 preset favorite slots. With the 2023, I am not seeing a way to increase additional slots.

18. HoboDave

HoboDave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    So, I guess the Prius craze hasn’t caught on here in the New Mexico desert. I went to the local dealership expecting from my research to be put on a waiting list or something. They had what I wanted on the showroom floor.
    The salesman said “Can I help you?”
    I said “Get rid of that pink bow and I’ll take it’
    He threw it over on a 4Runner and wrote it up. No problem.

I’ve since been celebrating by doing a 4 state sightseeing tour. A very pleasant one. It’s not perfect but it’s a sweet little ride. I had a Camry with TSS 2.0. That was so useless that I switched it all off and never looked back. Not so with the 3.0 update. It’s nice. Once I learned that it was smarter than me and could trust it to do it’s thing, we got along fine. My only complaint is the auto-dimming headlights. It dims them on every reflective surface it can find. I got tired of that and did it the old-fashioned way.

Toyota’s subscription services, I was not impressed, to say the least. They should be including it for free. It’s navigation system isn’t even close to Apple or Google Maps. And you can stream music from CarPlay or Android Auto anyway. I will not be subscribing when the trial runs out.

As for the lowered headroom, I’m 5’ 10” and it took a different approach getting in and out than I was used to but once inside, plenty of space with the seats all the way up. I always wear a baseball cap or Indiana Jones Fedora and never had a problem.

Now, why I chose the Prius in the first place, it’s climate control and being able to sleep in the back. I just let down the biggest part of the seat, aired up my mattress, set the thermostat on 68 and slept just fine in below freezing mountain heights. It does have a hump back there but a folded quilt under the foot of the mattress solved that. No more high-priced motels or snake infested tents. The fuel usage for all night was negligible.

Speaking of fuel usage…the MPG on the thing is amazing. It’s advertised rating of 57 is a little low. I pegged out the meter at 99.9 on several downhill occasions. I didn’t do a spreadsheet analysis or anything but I’d estimate an average of 60 to 65 mpg on a 2500 mile journey that encompassed mountains, deserts, winding forest roads and everything in between.

The handling is great, It’s not as quiet as a Lexus but you can’t expect that for the price. All in all, I’m pretty happy with it. I won’t be returning it to the dealer.

Attached Files:

Roqu3, 2023p, jackalope and 7 others like this.
  19. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Small FYI to owners:

The gen5 Prius family has two front brake setups. The FWD Prius uses an 11.1" rotor, while the AWD Prius and all the Primes use a 12" rotor. Don't know yet if the calipers, brake pads, or whatever else are also different. Just something to remember in a few years if you decide to do the brake job yourself.

reallyreal, Petern and Gokhan like this.
  20. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Or if you plan to go smaller than 17 inch for wheels.