1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 5 Prius and Prius Prime owners thread

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Gokhan, Jan 3, 2023.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The wheels took up the space for the front battery spot.

Moving the 12V is an easy way of moving the weight distribution around, and engine bays do get hot.

Montgomery and Gokhan like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it 'seemed' great when they moved the battery to the front, because we thoght it would be a simple standard car battery, and thus much less expensive.
    but it turned out that toyota in it's wisdom decided to use a very unusual size, and the cost was as high as before.
    early on, people were having a hard time finding replacements.
    maybe access is a bit easier in the front, but the back isn't bad at all.

3. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    EN LN1/DIN H4/BCI 140R is tad bit more expensive than more common sizes but not that much, and it is fairly easy to find. You can always get a Toyota TrueStart H4 from the Toyota dealer as well.

4. Perpetual Waffle

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I have a question for @DKTVAVKMC : is your daughter's Prius able to remotely start using the key fob? Any mention of remote start seems to be completely omitted from the owner's manual, so I am guessing not, but still curious to verify.

5. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    You've piqued my curiosity. Under what circumstance would one want to remote start a Prius? All the Toyota hybrids that I've encountered would only waste energy doing that... except for the ones that have a remote that turns on the heater or AC. The 2017 models include that function, but the button on the fob is labeled AC.

6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It could be through the phone app.
    There was a bunch of push back when Toyota tried to make remote start through the fob subscription. Removing it from the fob would make a future attempt easier.

mikey_t likes this.
  7. Perpetual Waffle

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    In the frozen north, remote start is considered a great feature to have so you can start the car up a few minutes before leaving home/work and come out to a warm car vs freezing your butt off waiting for the engine to warm up. Not a deal-breaking feature for me, but for some it is important. I’ve seen a lot of people ask about it, but no definitive answer.

This was my thought too, but I thought I would ask now that we have someone that can verify one way or the other.

TgrXtrm and mikey_t like this.
  8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In my limited experience, only the Chevies(2006 HHR and 2013 Sonic) I've owned had factory remote start. The 2016 Camry didn't have it, but I think some did, but it was triggered by holding down two different buttons, and there was nothing on the fob to clue a person in to there being remote start option. Maybe the Outback has it, but I have to dig through the manual to find it.

Concerned with using less fuel, I didn't use it for warming up the cabin. The load on the engine driving heats things up quicker. I'd use on freezing mornings as I stepped out the door to give the oil an extra minute to circulate.

Perpetual Waffle likes this.
  9. flarecde

flarecde Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I picked up my Limited this evening. Haven't had a ton of time with it as it got dark. I'm a relatively short guy (5'8") coming from a barebones 2015 C.

View out the rear is troublesome, camera doesn't help at night.
    Had no issue seeing the front display once I adjusted the steering wheel, which had quite a bit of play to it.
    Sound is ok, but I'm not an audiophile.
    Apple Car Play keeps crashing, but that might be my phone.
    Much easier to keep in Eco range during highway driving, I had no issue leaving the car in Eco mode.
    There's a button to turn on the wireless charging, it took me an embarrassing amount of time to find it.
    The cover in the trunk is really low, my box of crap from the previous car did not fit.

amhouin, Roqu3, bisco and 3 others like this.
  10. mikey_t

mikey_t Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Tideland Prius mentioned in his first impressions thread that the tonneau cover was low; such a strange choice by Toyota. I hope they change this in the future year models.

amhouin likes this.
  11. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    @Tideland Prius has an Ioniq 5, not a Gen 5 Prius. Only the "5" is the same. ;)

12. mikey_t

mikey_t Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    He went to a car showing and checked it out. There's a thread about it, unless I misread.

Tideland Prius and Gokhan like this.
  13. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Ah, I see it now. Perhaps he should trade his Ioniq 5 for a Prius 5 now. ;)

Wait, he seems to have a Kia EV6, not an Ioniq 5.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  14. valle_mystico

valle_mystico New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm coming from a Prius C 3 edition, my sound was pretty good, to my ears at least, I only used the cd player, it had 6 speakers but wasn't "premium" sound.
    I myself was able to reserve a limited. I was wondering what your experience has been like with your previous vehicle were it makes the new limited speakers sound okay? I only opted for a limited because of the JBL speakers that are supposedly better than the stock speakers. is there a noticeable difference in quality between the limited and your previous vehicle? thanks

Roqu3 likes this.
  15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It sounded almost like Toyota had planned on a split rear window, but changed their minds after the rear seats and cargo cover were set.

amhouin and mikey_t like this.
  16. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    They have given in to complaints from average public and reviewers on the split rear window, low hp, Prius exterior design, etc. and made a less practical and less fuel-efficient Prius.

17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They are also trying to revive a model that's core audience has moved on.

bisco, ems2158 and mikey_t like this.
  18. flarecde

flarecde Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    The sound seems better to me than the C's did, yes. There's no sub so the bass is still a little flat, but the sound is otherwise clear and seems to fill the car nicely. I had the volume low because the car is pretty quiet all-in-all, but I did turn the volume up and it sounded good. I'm happy with it.

I found another strange thing - the Limited has buttons on the door to control the seating presets. But there no mention of these controls in either the quick guide or the main manual (that I can find). The seat moves into and out of position every time you buckle the belt and I'd rather like to stop that behaviour from burning out the motors, but there's no mention of those functions or features, just one page on which seat side controls do what.

I love the parking sensors. I've never had a feature like this before, and my C's hub caps and bottom front were an absolute mess from hitting curbs constantly.

Gokhan and bisco like this.
  19. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The seat settings are likely also linked to a fob. This isn't an unique feature, and if they did forget to cover it in the manual, another model's will have it.

The seat moving with the seatbelt being buckled is separate. It is moving into a position to make it easier to get out and then in at the end of the trip. Maybe it is buried in the settings menu. Possibly something that needs the dealer or Carista to change.

20. flarecde

flarecde Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Yeah, I just finished rooting around the menus now that it isn't awful outside.

I found the fob linking options. The seat buttons are actual physical buttons in the door too though. I'll be the only person driving the car, so I'll kick that can way down the road.

Also did find the "easy exit" option for the seats, which was buried in the settings menu on the media center. Took me awhile to get out of Carplay - I work in IT and yet I'm terribly inept with any electronics that isn't a computer, go figure. Honestly, I have the seat much higher so it's easier for me to get in/out with it set that way. The seat can adjust quite high if you're short, I think I can confidently say between that and the wheel, anyone can find a position that works for the display. Getting in and out involves a little more stooping than the C, but far less than a friend's Mustang or a Genesis I rode in.

I also found the sound equalizer in the menu. I've had it set to completely neutral, so it's likely the sound will be even better if you set it appropriately?

bisco likes this.