1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 5 Prius Prime will charge almost twice slower than Gen 4 Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Gokhan, Mar 5, 2023.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Was there anything else to say about the onboard charger and charge rate? That topic derailed when some snark was given more attention than warranted.

Thought of moving here, 2022 Prius vs. 2023 Prius price comparison | PriusChat but that would involve lots of quoting for new readers going to that thread.
    Li-ion costs that low come about with a huge investment in the supply(Tesla), or there is a deal to buy other components from the battery cell supplier(Bolt). Neither of those apply to Toyota. Li-ion costs have also increased some with the increased demand with EVs, in addition to the inflation factor.

The Rav4 Prime SE is $9000 more than the hybrid SE. 5kWH of battery, a faster charger, and more powerful front motor aren't going to add up to $6000.

2. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I am not sure what you are referring to, but the purpose of the OP was to provide charging specs for Gen 4 and Gen 5. It took me sometime to dig the Gen 5 charging specs from the Japanese websites, and I thought people would find it useful. Again, slow/fast refers to charging time (hours) here, and charging power (kilowatts) is not a unit of time as some people wanted it to base slow/fast on it; therefore, I don't think my thread title was misleading.

3. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I hope Toyota is not trying to pull an RAV4 Prime trick with the Prius Prime and gouge the price. RAV4 Prime is an entirely different vehicle than RAV4 and comes fully loaded.

I hope the price difference between Prius and Prius Prime will be about $3,000 for comparably equipped models. Anything higher does not make much sense for a PHEV and will curb the EV adoption.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There is maybe one or two features the Rav4 Prime SE has that the hybrid SE does not.

Toyota not selling EV's won't hurt adoption. It hasn't hurt yet.

5. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    After seeing the official numbers posted today, my numbers were spot on! :)

6. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Toyota split the difference on our pricing estimates. You were $1900 low(on the SE), I was $2000 high(across the board). Kirk Kriefels was way high.

Gokhan likes this.
  7. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Conversely...

At 133 MPGe plug-to-wheels, and 3.3 kW, the Gen 4 charges at 13.0 MPH.

At 127 MPGe plug-to-wheels, and 3.5 kW, the Gen 5 SE charges at 13.2 MPH - faster, not slower. (However, the XSE and XSE Premium charge at 11.8 MPH, slower.)

8. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Ha ha, forget about the vehicle analysts. We know much better here on PriusChat then they do. ;)

9. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Once again, the charging time in the original post referred to the charging time for 100% battery SOC—not the charging time per mile.