1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 5 Prius Prime worth over Gen 5 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Gokhan, Jul 2, 2023.

1. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Hmm... Good to know. So, that's:

Prius Prime XSE Premium is $50204.50 - $5000 = $45204.50.
    Prius AWD Limited is $46204.50

That makes things more interesting, but I still am leaning toward the AWD Prius non-Prime. I currently own a 2012 Prius Plug-In which is outdoors, and the plugging it in part is kind of annoying outdoors in the winter, as sometimes the plug freezes or gets covered with snow or the port gets full of snow and the port cover can't close, and stuff like that. Furthermore, now that I mainly work from home, I don't drive enough to justify it, as I only drive about 8000 km or so per year these days.

OTOH, I live next to a hill and while I can make it up the hill OK 98% of the time, there are certain days in the winter where my FWD Prius Plug-In struggles, whereas my wife's 2016 RAV4 AWD Hybrid has no issue at all.

I'm less interested in the Corolla, but wouldn't completely rule out the Corolla XSE AWD Hybrid.

That $5000 rebate does give me something to think about over the next year though. Thanks for pointing that out.

EDIT:

Oh wait. Would we pay tax on the full cost first and then get the $5000 rebate? Or do we get the $5000 rebate before tax? because if we have to pay tax on it first, that tax is $650.

EDIT again:

Does the Prius Prime support wireless CarPlay?

For the Prius, it specifically says Wireless Apple CarPlay is supported. For the Prius Prime, it just says Apple CarPlay with no mention of wireless CarPlay.

#61 Eug, Jul 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2023
  2. raqball

raqball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Mine does but I am in the US. Not sure if it varies by country. My 2023 Prime has wireless CarPlay and wireless Android Auto.

Eug likes this.
  3. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a rav4 prime. My range on a full charge is consistently 80-85km, exceeding what Toyota promised.... but then again, it's only 2 years old, so the battery hasn't degraded. Yet.

It's VERY rare that the gas engine comes on; in 39000 km, i've burned 500l of fuel.

With a level 2 charger, it will charge fully in about 4 hours. And using off peak electrical rates, it's a pittance to charge it.

I couldn't imagine going back to regular visits to gas stations. Find charging at home INCREDIBLY convenient.

And the $5k comes off on the after sale price... you pay $55k taxes in, the dealer should only charge you $50k, and gets that $5k from the feds.

As for FWD vs AWD... a good set of snows helps with traction AND braking, and on dedicated rims preserves your factory alloys. Just a thought.

#63 Nntw, Jul 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2023
    Tideland Prius, Eug and Louis19 like this.
  4. Louis19

Louis19 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    Yep and additionnal amonts incentives from some provinces.....here in Québec an additionnal 2500$ so total fed and prov sums up to 7500$CA here in Québec for a Prius Prime......
    0$ for a Prius hybrid.

5. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Yes, we have good quality snow tires on dedicated rims. (Actually, I get aftermarket Toyota-specific alloy rims for the snows too, just for looks. :)) However, the hill is very steep. Like I said, I do manage, but after a freeze I see vans and heavier vehicles sliding around, and the cars with RWD are a lost cause on the worst days. On this hill, after a freeze:

RWD = Disaster, regardless of the tires.
    FWD = Usually OK, but often difficult. Worse for some cars than others, but snow tires are a must.
    AWD = No problem with snow tires.

Nntw likes this.
  6. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I wasn't presuming to tell you what to do. And as an aside, alloy winter rims from Costco on my rav4... for the looks. :)

Eug likes this.
  7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Even if we didn't have 2 plug in's, on super cold winters? We plug the car into the block heater. In part that's because on cold cold mornings/afternoons - the ice will kick on anyways to protect the traction pack health. iirc - that warm up cycle starts somewhere around 15-20ish°f

8. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    ? I don't think I've ever seen/heard my 2012 Prius Plug-In start itself, regardless of the temperature. That would be dangerous too if it was in a garage.

We get to -15C (5F) relatively frequently here, and sometimes below -20C (-4F).

And at these temperatures, I have never bothered with a block heater, as it's been unnecessary. When I lived in Saskatchewan though, we had block heaters there, as the temperatures will drop below -30C (-22F) every year. I've even seen it hit -40C (-40F) there rarely.

9. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    My rav's always garaged. A few cold days, the ICE has come on uncommanded in battery mode when driving to warm the cabin.

And don't get me started on the heat pump and the 'train horn' noise...

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    This winter northwest Montana we got down to -30°f - so we stayed home until it warmed up to a balmy -24° lol.
    936897441.jpg

I'm really surprised to hear your ICE didn't start in Uber cold, as even running the defroster will bring the ice into play as it's a more efficient way to warm both the traction pack as well as cabin temps. In any event there have been several posts here on PC regarding the Prime Auto cold weather startup.

11. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly. My 2012 Prius Plug-In has always started fine regardless of how cold it was, even at -30C. However, it has never started up on its own without user input regardless of the temperature. OTOH, if I start the car in very cold weather, yes it will immediately turn on the ICE to warm up.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    many pip owners have said the engine sometimes comes on in cold weather when they start out in ev.
    toyota mentions it in the o/m, lists about 14 possible reasons, and says there may be other reasons.
    mine doesn't usually come on, and it doesn't get below zero here much, and i keep it garaged, but there is one particular route i can take. after .3 miles there's a decent drop in elevation at 40mph that starts the engine. i think it's because the battery is cold and almost ful, it won't accept regen.

13. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Yes that makes sense. However, it won't come on if the car hasn't been previously started by the user.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just so

15. flim

flim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I forgot to mention that there is also a $250 rebate if you have a Level 2 EV Charger. However, It has to be hardwired to be eligible for a rebate under the Residential EV Charging Incentive Program.

Residential EV Charging Incentive Program

I opted not to hardwire my Level 2 ChargePoint EV charger to make it easier to replace the unit in case it breaks down. I noticed many of the public charging stations from ChargePoint were out of commission quite often! I bought this brand since it was highly recommended for the Prius Prime.

#75 flim, Jul 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2023