1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 5 Prius/Prius Prime: poor fuel economy, poor choice of colors, poor choice of packages/options

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Gokhan, Dec 18, 2022.

1. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, Longo. As I said, it's not an order in the sense that you can have a car custom built for you from Toyota. You get to buy whatever is randomly alloted to the dealer if it matches your order. If you even worry about $75 accessories such as color-keyed door-edge guards, which I have and are very nice and useful by the way, you will never get a car. ;)

2. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad to hear the door edge guards are nice. If I get one of these precious vehicles, I’m hoping for them. For some reason I couldn’t stand the look of the side molding panels on the 2022 but knew I could at least get them removed.

Hopefully you’ll be one of the first people to give us a review of the Prime!

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So, I just found out that Tesla slashed its price tag. Now the least expensive M3 is at $37,390... so I heard. I have not confirmed it on the Tesla site. But if it's true and if it is available. With a full tax credit back on Tesla, M3 is cheaper than the all-new Prius Prime SE. All of a sudden, M3 is back on the shortlist, if I want the second car for myself. And the good thing is that Tesla does not have to be just around town car... like other BEVs. Humm, I think the Gen5 Prius Prime is no longer on my list as a viable option.

EDIT: After confirming the REAL price at tesla.com, it was clear the price posted is not real. It is still a good price in comparison to a PP without the tax credit. But not a viable option for me for now.

#183 Salamander_King, Jan 13, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    As of right now the Model 3 RWD is $44k, a $3000 reduction; could change next week or tomorrow. The tax credit could make it competitive with the new Prime.

Reports of prices in the thirty thousand range are likely for the Chinese market.

Salamander_King likes this.
  5. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I loathe side moldings as well—they are horrible-looking.

daisy555 and Perpetual Waffle like this.
  6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I just checked at tesla.com. That sure is a clickbait tactics on the Tesla site. The best I can get is $43,630 + wall connector $350. Plus tax. After the $7500 fed tax credit, it will still be a $39,009 total cost. And, I will have to pay an additional ~$10K for the upgrading house electrical to install a 240v EVSE. Too expensive for a second car mainly for around-town rides.

7. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    • I don't qualify for the whole $7,500 tax credit.
    • You should not keep pumping money into your Roth IRA only to qualify for tax credits.
    • I don't want to a drive a poor man's Tesla.
    • I need a gas tank.

8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, Tesla is not for you. I agree with three of your bullet items. But for one, "You should not keep pumping money into your Roth IRA only to qualify for tax credits." I strongly disagree. I recommend you or anyone who has the means to save to put as much money as you can into the Roth IRA law allows regardless of whether you get a tax credit or not. It is one of the best investment vehicles ever invented. I totally regret I did not max out on the saving limit on my Roth account in the past. Talk to any financial adviser if you are in doubt.

drash likes this.
  9. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Well, if I do, I may not be able to buy groceries and cat food. :(

daisy555 and Salamander_King like this.
  10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I said, "I recommend you or anyone who has the means to save". But if you have the means to purchase a Gen5 Prius Prime, I am sure you could save more... ;)

#190 Salamander_King, Jan 13, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
    Gokhan, Trollbait and Zythryn like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When the model y is $30,000 net net net, I’ll take a test drive

Salamander_King and daisy555 like this.
  12. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought Tesla had reliability issues? I don’t have a place to charge for 8 hrs and electricity where I live is sky rocketing so not an option for me.

Gokhan likes this.
  13. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cat food is priority!

Perpetual Waffle and Gokhan like this.
  14. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    On the contrary, I estimated my car payments to go down from $656 a month to $334 a month when I trade in my 2021 Prius Prime Limited for a 2023 Prius Prime SE; so, there will be more food for me and the cats. Remember that the trade-in value of my 2021 Prius Prime Limited in Southern California ($35,000–36,000) is the same as the MSRP for a new 2022. In addition, my overall cost of ownership after my 2023 is paid off will be $3,000 less—even much further less if you factor in the depreciation. I don't do these things without carefully calculating them. ;)

Salamander_King likes this.
  15. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Door edge guards are a port option that are installed at the port or the dealer. When you "build" a car on the Toyota Website there are a bunch of individual things like floor mats, paint protection film, first aid kit, door edge guards, etc. Those are the port options that can be added to any car. The dealer may have already added them at the port so you have to take them if you want the car. Otherwise they can add any of those locally. I had paint protection film and the side moldings added at my dealer for my 2017 Prime.

Gokhan likes this.
  16. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, they are installed at the "port," not at the factory or at the dealer. I am guessing by port they mean the port in Japan. You can buy them from the dealer later and most of them are installed by the dealer for free. I see that the Toyota OEM cat-protector accessory does not come with free installation.

17. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last time I looked cat protector wasn’t Toyota OEM. Maybe this has changed.,

18. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very good. Then you can definitely save the difference between $656 and $334 a month into ROTH IRA. ;)

Just hope the used car market value will stay hot until they get your car.

drash, daisy555 and Gokhan like this.
  19. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely maxed out the Roth IRA in the last 10 years of work. Had to cut 401K inputs a little to do it, but now getting 4% on 2-year certificates, woohoo! (y):D

daisy555, Gokhan and Salamander_King like this.
  20. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It will. It is only four months from now. There is no sign of the end to supply-chain problems.

daisy555 and Salamander_King like this.