1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 5 Prius/Prius Prime: poor fuel economy, poor choice of colors, poor choice of packages/options

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Gokhan, Dec 18, 2022.

1. Todd Bonzalez

Todd Bonzalez Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Going slightly off-topic, I don't get why he spends so much time on Twitter trolling "libruls" when they're his target demographic for Tesla sales. I don't hear of any far-right folks buying electric cars, but I suppose it can happen once in a blue moon :giggle:

2. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yep, it is self-destructive for him to be obsessed with Twitter and troll his own customers.

daisy555 likes this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Tesla was only considered when they were the only option.

Their charging standard is elegant, and I think Aptera uses it.

4. Todd Bonzalez

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I think part of the problem for Tesla is that they were the only game in town for many years, so they don't care if their customer service sucks. A neighbor of mine hit a pothole and cracked the windshield on his Model 3 before Christmas - the replacement's on backorder with a wait time of 4-5 months

Aside from Musk's politics, buying a Mach-E or an Ioniq 5 seem to be a more sensible buy these days

davemo likes this.
  5. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes but…Tesla reviews from very reliable professional sources state Tesla is close to the bottom of the list regarding EV reliability. Of course it’s a short list so that makes a difference
    That’s a long wait for a windshield! I know I’ve stated the obvious but life is pretty challenging as a single person. I guess if it was covered by insurance and not drivable until fixed, my insurance would cover partial rental.

I stress out every time I hear of another cat converter getting stolen in my town.

#225 daisy555, Jan 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    Todd Bonzalez likes this.
  6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    specially if planning to trade in after 2 or 3 years and let others deal with the throwaways so generously provided to the second hand markups.
    What's it all about?
    Alfie 66

#226 vvillovv, Jan 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  7. Todd Bonzalez

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    He's just going to drive around with a cracked windshield...no point involving insurance for something like that :)

But speaking of which, supply chain nonsense like this is a big part of the reason why insurance companies in Europe don't like Teslas. They obviously don't want to pay for 4-5 months of rental while waiting for something as simple as a windshield replacement. And you know you'll pay for it when it's time to renew your insurance.

8. Todd Bonzalez

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  9. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    whatever Elon has turned into in the view of the presses, he has a long record of being better at it than the average billionaire. Lots of those types are getting squeezed almost as hard as most of us in the back 40 are, even if we try like bjees to hide it from everyone else. Hell what else is there to look forward to. A secure peaceful harmonious civilized future?
    Whatever he is and all the other billionaires in line, I'm pretty certain at least one or two of them would ""Love to Change the World" but they don't know what to do " (Alivn Lee) or are not allowed to, for whatever reasons. And all us in the back 40 will Never quite figure out, either.

10. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The 'reliability' claims, if you dig into the details, are typically due to user issues with the UI. If navigation doesn't work as expected, it is a ding against the reliability.

Consumer reports actually posted on EV reliabilities. Tesla Model 3 was second on the list.
    Tesla and Nissan Make the Most Reliable EVs - Consumer Reports

Not all models made by a manufacturer have the same reliability. For example, the 2020 Rav4 scored only a 49.
    2020 Toyota RAV4: The Ways America's Best-Selling Crossover Went Wrong (motorbiscuit.com)

I have a friend who got their windshield replaced same day. Tesla does need to improve in this area, however, the horror stories are just that, the worst of the worst. You rarely hear about people yelling on the internet about what went right ;)

iplug and daisy555 like this.
  11. Sue Case

Sue Case Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    But at least he knows how to "burn" money fast.
    Elon Musk has set a Guinness World Record – for the largest lost of personal fortune in history. Guinness announced last week that Musk had lost about $182 billion of his net worth since November 2021, citing Forbes. Some estimate he lost up to $200 billion.

Something tells me he will soon "implode" from within.

#231 Sue Case, Jan 15, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2023
    Todd Bonzalez and Gokhan like this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    stock losses. easy come, easy go

Gokhan likes this.
  13. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The more money you have, the more money you will lose or gain. Many hot, high-beta stocks dropped several times lower in value; so, this is actually not his fault. He has no control over the stock market.

14. davemo

davemo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I built an LE on the Toyota.com website just out of curiosity, and after I chose color, the next page would allow me to add front and rear parking assist with automatic braking for an MSRP of $35. I find that a bit of a surprise if that price is accurate, and why it wasn't offered standard if it is that inexpensive.

bisco likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I doubt it’s deleted, source?

(Am I late on this, just noticed it’s many pages…)

Gokhan likes this.
  16. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    There was some information from Toyota.

It turned out that LE/SE had a single-door smart key. It is the same key as on the higher trims but does not smart-unlock the passenger door and back door due to the lack of RF receivers on those doors.

Simply pay extra for the OEM key gloves and you can keep it attached to your other keys to unlock all doors by pressing the unlock button on the key. ;)

#236 Gokhan, Feb 12, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
  17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That’s the case back to 3rd gen, and always seemed to me a punitive, unpopular ploy by Toyota.

Gokhan and bisco like this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are these cars going to be on paper only?

19. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I only consider politics in my purchases if it affects the behavior of the company. The politics of an executive of the company are not my concern. When a company misbehaves (Politically or otherwise in my view), I tend to not buy their products/services. My problem is that I am running out of companies that I find acceptable.

JeffD

Todd Bonzalez likes this.
  20. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    They are just starting to arrive at the dealers. However, expect to pay a big markup unless you are on a waiting list.