1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 5 Prius/Prius Prime: poor fuel economy, poor choice of colors, poor choice of packages/options

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Gokhan, Dec 18, 2022.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's like the gen4, depends on the trim. The L Eco had the largest cargo space. It didn't have a spare, and didn't have the raised floor for under storage. That meant the cargo floor wasn't level with the seat backs when they were folded down. It had a drop down from the hatch entry to the floor. The others had the floor near level like most other hatchbacks/wagons/SUVs, because there was a spare or for aesthetics. Then the Prime had the floor higher for the battery.

From comments here, there are two different floor heights in the new model. I want to say the LE has lower, but it does have a spare.

Then the flat floor with a hatch isn't a universal. The new Prius could still have such even with the floor level with the folded seats. It's one of those things that need to be seen in person to judge the impact of.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    easy enough to build it up with some styro like toyota does, or add a spare tire to make it flat.
    i do like that the gen 3 is flat, but with the lowered hatch door, i'm concerned about height

3. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    EPA cargo volume (seats up; manufacturer estimated)

23.8 ft³ (LE grades)
    20.3 ft³ (XLE and Limited grades)

4. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The LE likely has a lower floor based on this.

If the LE does have a spare, as some released specs state, why do the higher trims lose cargo space? subwoofer?

bisco likes this.
  5. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    No subwoofer on Prius.

It could be to accommodate some combination of:
    • back-door smart-key antenna (standard on XLE/Limited)
    • back-door motor (standard on Limited)
    • two additional JBL speakers (standard on Limited)
    • other options such as digital rear-view mirror (option on Limited)

6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Not seeing how any of those things would expalin over 3 cubic feet of difference. The speakers could take up a side cubby, but they are more likely a set of tweeters up front.

I'm just worried the tire repair kit listed for the LE on the US site is correct, thus no spare for here.

7. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Here is the cargo area in higher trims.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#127 Gokhan, Jan 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, something doesn't add up. there's no way you can have a spare and more cargo space, unless the hatch door is higher, or the seats are further forward

daisy555 likes this.
  9. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is interesting. They originally had spare tire for LE on the website. I guess they’re making corrections on the website or don’t have access to enough spare tires. ; ) It still doesn’t state LE comes with smart key.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    someone posted new car specs that showed one door sks and spare tire. i was just watching a new video tideland posted, and it showed the same cubic feet as above, but i suppose they are all getting their info from the same place.
    it also showed a side by side comparison of the gen 4&5 rear vies, and 5 looked pretty good.

11. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I want the 2022 cargo space design, door handles and tires but the body style, ground clearance and interior of 2023.

I’m posting the video I was talking about. This guy seems to know a bit more and talks about design, cargo noise and brakes during his test drive. Obviously getting paid.

He’s 5’9” and looked really short in the driver’s seat. I might be test driving 2023 and finding it too low. Then what…car booster seat or back to Gen 4 but not sure how I’ll deal low ground clearance. Pros ands cons list isn’t working!

Also view from inside the 2022 Prime is starting to look really appealing after getting a closer look at the 2023 rear window. Ugh!

He talks about the weight increases and the fact that the car has more power while still managing to keep mpg the same. I guess if I look at it this way the lack of increase in mpg makes sense.

#131 daisy555, Jan 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
    Trollbait likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's so hard to compare any of these things before actually seeing one. hopefully, some of our concerns will be allayed

13. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Duplicate post…

Toyota salesman just texted me and said Toyota had first allocation for January and no 2023 Prius(es) aka Prii were released to the Boston region. They also have not received a confirmation that the Prime would be released in the spring.

14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think SKS info came out of the owner's manual.

That floor in the back has a 'thrown in' vibe to me the way the side edges just drop off instead of becoming part of the side walls. After checking out that space in the above video, I'm thinking it is an add on for the higher trims. You get the floor with extra storage cubbies to level the cargo floor with the folded seats. The LE just has that space open.

Well, just looked at the manual, and it ain't looking good about the spare. There is a section on storage features in the interior features chapter, with illustrations. The part on cargo hooks(p.375) has instructions for cars with tire repair kit type A and those cars with repair kit type B or spare. The B/spare have a deck board, the raised floor in the photos; it has to be lifted to access the hooks. The type A cars don't have that deck, and thus more open volume in the back.

The 2023 Prius LE does not have a spare tire in the US. It might be available as an option that removes cargo space.
    Going to take longer for the ships to reach the east coast. As a CARB state, it shouldn't take much more time to get the cars.

daisy555 likes this.
  15. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    There are three options:

Option A: comes with Type A tire-repair kit and has more cargo space (lowered deck)
    Option B1: comes with Type B tire-repair kit and has less cargo space (raised deck)
    Option B2: comes with spare tire and has less cargo space (raised deck)

Note that for Options B1 and B2, the deck height is identical with tire-repair kit or spare tire.

It is not clear which trim has which option, and the specs provided by Toyota seem to be in error.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Trollbait likes this.
  16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    As I stated the other thread, the cars the reviewers are getting have the higher trim wheels with Option B1.
    Plus, the only way the LE can have a larger cargo volume on the Toyota site is with Option A.

It is looking like the spare isn't going to be standard in the US. Hopefully, for those that want it, it will be an option instead of having to cobble together a solution after sale.

For those in Canada, the raised deck and whatever underneath appears to be simply bolted into the Opt A set up. Swapping the storage cubicles for a spare could be simple.

With the Prime, it is a question if the battery extends rearward from under the seat, and how far if it does.

#136 Trollbait, Jan 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i just can't see prime getting a spare, but who knows

daisy555 likes this.
  18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Agree on actually getting one, but I don't see being because the space for the spare is unaccessible.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's hard to say, but hard to believe a battery that size plus charger wouldn't take up too much space

20. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no way Prime is getting a spare unless they decide it’s an add on option. The car is weighted down enough with electric battery. Isn’t that partially why it doesn’t have AWD option?