1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 5 suggesting how you could meet your health goals

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by raspy, Nov 29, 2016.

1. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for that post. I adopted the graphic on my facebook page, and got over 1000 likes in 1 hour. We need people like you to carry the yellow fins for the rest of us (or be able to fend for ourselves using photoediting software).

RobH likes this.
  2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Glad you liked it. The unusual thing that made the image possible was that I put an old (Garmin Forerunner 305) gps unit in my safety float. Double bagged it in ziplock bags, and put it in the relatively waterproof pocket in the float. The 305 is not waterproof, but it stayed dry enough. The newer Polar V800 is waterproof, but the GPS reception on a swimmer's wrist is just plain laughable. So I used the GPS data from the 305, transferred it to Garmin Training Center (PC software), exported the track as a GPX file, and opened the file with Google Earth. Adjusted the Google Earth image till I liked the view, and exported it to the JPG file.

Every jaggy in the track is probably a point where I stopped and reconsidered the direction I was going. It's obvious that there was a slow ebb tide (right to left in the image), as I had to keep correcting my aim as the tide drifted me to the left. Coming back, the tide had slowed, maybe even reversed. Inside the breakwater there was a noticable tide working against me. But the trip back on the outside was a free ride with the tide. Kayak guy was impressed that I didn't freak out on the outside portion. Inside there was just the tide, but outside there were 3-4 foot swells that I guess bother some people. Wonder if the Polar people could use the motion sensor to report the height of the swells?

Just went to Aquatic Park again today. Temperature was 57.7 according to the Polar. OK where the wetsuit covered, but bare hands and face were a real challenge. 4 people went skin (no wetsuit!!!). 3 women, and a guy who wouldn't be outdone by his female friend. Two of the women were walrus body style, but the other woman and guy didn't have any extra fat on them. I've got extra fat, but the distribution isn't useful...

3. alexgrigori

alexgrigori Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    RCO likes this.