1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 5 Wish List

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Tideland Prius, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With the midlife update just around the corner, the work on the Gen 5 will probably start soon after the release of the midlife update.

What are some of things you would like to see improved/added/deleted on the next generation Prius?

Exterior:
    • The Prius has always been unique (or ugly to some). Perhaps now it's time to make it more stylish and less "out there". I appreciate the Prius' styling but I understand I'm in the minority.
    • Continuing having unique touches. I like the fact that there are aeroflow controls without having to look too weird (e.g. the Gen 1 LEAF needed that bulbous headlight to direct air over the mirrors while the Gen 3 and Gen 4 do not). The Z or lightning tailight was cool but I guess it wasn't well received either. I'd like more designed play on the use of LED lighting to create a futuristic look
    • 15" wheels are good for weight and mpg but maybe it's time to bump it up to 16" as standard? At least there's a smaller size difference between the 16" and 17", allowing for a smaller fender gap
    • Make use of LED lighting to create a cool, futuristic headlight design (e.g. Clearance lights in the shape of the blue "S" in HSD but obviously in white for legal purposes)
    • More colours that aren't shades of grey
    • Matrix LED headlights (by then, NHTSA should have it approved)
    • BSM/RCTA/ICS are all good things but... it seems like just expensive items to replace in a minor collision. Is there a way to reduce the cost of repair of these items? (both material and labour hours?) It's all fine and dandy to say "I want this feature and that feature" but at some point, you just hope no one even touches your car accidentally in a shopping mall lot or you're looking at an expensive repair bill
    • Water-repellent wing mirror glass
    • Auto-dimming wing mirrors (or at least driver's side)
    • The rear spoiler needs to be positioned better so that the auto-dimming mirror works (or the mirror needs to be repositioned). Either way, the bar is blocking the light sensor so the mirror doesn't dim as readily as a car with a normal rear window
    • Integrated mirror indicators
    • Power & auto folding mirrors
    Interior:
    • Extendable sun visors
    • Rear A/C vents (so Smart Flow actually works and not just for the front seats)
    • Heated rear seats
    • Nicer SofTex feel
    • Two-tone material like SofTex/cloth or SofTex/Ultrasuede
    • Maybe optional leather wrapped steering wheel (or improve the SofTex steering wheel material). The current one feels too rubbery after a year or two of use. It feels just like a regular steering wheel. After 9 years, my Gen 3's leather-wrapped steering wheel feels great.
    • More interior space. Each generation after the Gen 2 kept shrinking the interior legroom even though the car's overall length has increased.
    • Maybe it's time to bring memory seats/mirrors? I know it's been asked before but at that time, it was still a luxury car feature.
    • Slightly more reclined rear seat. I think the Gen 4's seat was made more upright to clear the hatch's hinges dip in the headliner (so the rear occupant sits under the curved cut out, thus increasing headroom). But the result is a less comfortable seating position for rear passengers.
    • Bring back the extra storage (or have a dashboard tray.... still prefer an upper glovebox if possible)
    • Would like the underfloor storage in the trunk - helped kept the trunk clean and clear as the miscellaneous things were kept out of sight (EBH heater cord, snow brush, first aid kit etc)
    • Different interior accent trims. Piano black is nice but only when used sparingly. It gets dusty really easily. (well the plastic version of the piano black trim anyway)
    • Maybe a power passenger seat but that adds weight
    • Non-rubberised door panels
    • Thicker door armrests padding
    • Thicker centre console box lid padding
    • Bring back climate controls on the steering wheel (at least the basic recirc and temp buttons)

Mechanical:
    • I assume it goes without saying that an improved hybrid system will be developed (lighter/stronger electric motors, denser/lighter battery, improved electronics in the inverter) to increase fuel efficiency but I suppose at some point, you might as well go PHV (point of diminishing returns). The other alternative is significantly improve power output with similar or just slightly better efficiency.
    • Please keep the better ride and handling of the Gen 4
    • Improve the tire noise. There's still tire noise on most surfaces other than fresh asphalt
    • More power or lighter weight. 10.5 seconds to 60 is slow (worse with 4 ppl on board). If the mpg targets can't be hit, make it a PHV.
    • Maybe E-Four/AWD-i? (esp. if battery technology improves)
    • If similar or better aerodynamics can be achieved without the car being that low, it would be nice to raise it back up to the Gen 3's height. (That's still lower than other compact or midsize cars)
    • Level the load floor

Audio/Entertainment:
    • Updateable firmware (similar to phones). You may not get all the new features but at least it looks a bit more current. Keeps people happy I suppose (esp. since people keep cars longer than phones... even those who lease)
    • Better designed UI. The 11.6" screen right now just looks like the standard 7"/8" software ported over.
    • Better search function for nav - both voice and hand inputs for POIs. I suppose a cloud-connected car can help with that (like the phone's assistants). The other alternative is continuing to use the Live Agent (Destination Assist) function.
    • If it doesn't exist on Entune, smartwatch functionality for checking door locks, fuel level/charge level and remote A/C
    • Smartwatch SKS
    • Stronger cell chip for concrete parkades/underground parkades
    • More USB ports and higher power ones. I find it amusing that a car with a high powered battery can't charge today's devices. The Gen 3 didn't even launch with a USB port until 4 months later (and Canada never even got it! It was an expensive dealer-installed accessory). The Gen 4 has a measly one.
    • Smartwatch additional functionality for LDA and BSM (e.g. pairing the watch with the car via bluetooth allows additional functionality such as buzzing on the watch in addition to the beeps for LDA and BSM alerts)

#1 Tideland Prius, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    iplug and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Buttons and knobs for the Radio/CD controls, not the awful glass screen..

KEEP the CD Player - unlike some brands which are ditching them or hiding them in gloveboxes (yes VW Grrrr) - quality of music from MP3/Bluetooth is awful in comparison.

Move the C/C from the stalk which is 1) out of sight; and 2) never in the same place;

FULL-SIZE spare tyre at least as an option. It's available in Middle East and other places.

I've never used them - but everyone is talking about Apple/Android Carplay which Mazda just made available.

Decent warranty - I think TOYOTA and SUBARU are the only ones left with only 3 years warranty (here).

Decent servicing intervals - 6 month/10,000km is ridiculous (in Australia).

Tideland Prius likes this.
  3. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I would like to see every Prius plug in, even if it only has a2kwhr battery and a 6 amp charger.

These days the cost of equipment to do so is under $200 VAC

I would also like to see the V come back as a Prime ;)

iplug and Tideland Prius like this.
  4. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't see it - PRIUS is a hybrid - with 0.75kwhr battery. To put a larger battery will compromise too many things and it won't be a PRIUS or a hybrid any longer. Plus - 2kwhr won't give all that much range - unless it's packaged with the PRIME's motor assembly set-up.

With a PHEV - they really need to repackage the PRIME so it has 5 seats - that would be the car you're looking for. Or, a "v".

5. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    The older Prii had a 1.5kwhr nimh, about 3.5kwhrs of modern lithium will easily fit into the same form factor.

0.75kwhr is a cost and weight savings measure nothing more and you can still get a 2 with NIMH.

Having the ability to jump start a Prius and 5-7 city miles of range is nothing to sneeze at, battery costs and density keep improving so I think it all but a foregone conclusion that eventually every Prii will have a plug,
    Further even with a tiny battery the plug would get some folks into HOV lanes which is apparently a huge selling point

Why fight the inevitable?

6. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    With both Gen 3 fives and Gen 4 touring in the fleet -- Have no problems with the 17" ..... we get great MPG on our cars. The 3's could get 60mpg when new with some drivers. Gen 4's ...it's easy. I actually like the layout of the Gen 3 better -- both inside and outside. The inside materials are nicer in the 4 .. even with our 3's being leather. We also have Lexus CT's -- The Lexus soft touch interiors are nicer and the CT has a better steering wheel. The Gen 4 ..... ugly .... no other way to describe. The alloy wheels especially ugly and why those stupid plastic inserts? I was shocked when I first saw the 4 .... really ugly car. Can't say anything bad about the mechanics -- Toyota makes a great car. The seats in the lexus are much more comfortable -- as are the workings of the seat heaters. The LED headlights in the 4 are better vs the LED in the 3's -- but they don't match the performance of our Euro vehicles. Improving the lights would be my #1 wish ... especially the fogs. I have a weekend place in the country -- good lighting is important for me ... lots of deer.

7. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What year is your Gen 4? The headlights changed for 2017 and 2018 - which changed IIHS rating from P to G.

8. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    We have 2016 4 Touring -- The headlights are better vs the LED's in the Gen 3 fives. What did they change in 2017?
    My german cars have the best lighting.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The change for 2017 was the reduction of "excessive glare" that gave the 2016 model the Poor rating.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  10. TinyTim

TinyTim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Let's be honest here. No Prius since gen 1 can be deemed an attractive or nice looking car. Ugly is a strong word to use for the Gen 4. Weird maybe but certainly not ugly. The previous generations can be best described as nondescript, bland and boring. The rear end is really what troubles people on the Gen 4. My brother described previous generations of Prius as new cars that looked like old cars when they were new.

What really makes people angry when they see the trip computer inside of a Prius. This thing gets over 50mpg as if that is some sort of high crime.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    lower price, less packages, more single options, windshields that don't crack as much, beefier more common 12v, spare tire, or ready space for one, more interior color and plastic options, CarPlay, improved grille styling...

alanclarkeau and Rmay635703 like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm maybe starting to "grow up", because: everything I can think of, I'm running it through the "has this got a hope in hell" filter, and so far I'm stumped. I've been "vocal" (to put it mildly) about where Toyota lost their way, various 4th gen peeves, and I have a few 3rd gen peeves as well. Oh well, an eclectic list:

1. Driver-centric dash, as opposed to putting the instruments in the center. Never could understand that. And please, a coolant temp gauge.
    2. Easier maintenance: many, many things: sparkplug access, head and running light access, real jackstand support points, maybe screw-and-lock-nut valve adjustment, easier EGR access, and/or one that doesn't regularly clog, an intake manifold that doesn't turn into an oily swimming pool with PCV input.
    3. An ergonomic, manual control dash. I'd definitely put this in the Hail Mary category, probably not gonna happen.
    4. A spare tire on all levels, temp is fine with me, actually preferable.
    5. And yeah: recoup the lost storage, again, probably not gonna happen.
    6. Interior that's dumure, low-key, easy to clean, no gloss.
    7. Nice looking alloy rims, no plastic, neither full covers nor inserts. Please, please, please.
    8. Last but not least: stop with the wacky, over-the-top and pointless styling exercises, again: probably not gonna happen.

#12 Mendel Leisk, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    alanclarkeau and Tideland Prius like this.
  13. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen 1 - unimaginative, boring looking - like most cars of the day.
    upload_2018-10-16_11-13-46.png

Gen 4 blends with the other eccentric styles of 2018 - from Honda, Toyota, Lexus, Audi, Merc.

And much better looking than many monstrosities:
    upload_2018-10-16_11-16-48.png upload_2018-10-16_11-17-19.png

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Have no problem with the Prius "looking like a hybrid" -- The Gen 3 looked like what it was. The Gen 4 is weird ... weird in an ugly way. It's not styled to make it a better car .... just shocked at how ugly -- looks like an ugly econobox. Toyota should style the Prius to be the best it can be from an aero point of view -- form flows function. Honestly -- I believe they sell a substantial number of them because the drivers want to be shown in a Prius. They are all over my club every weekend -- people buy them as extra cars and drive them. The layout of the Gen 3 is better -- the 4 is a better car. To be expected -- I'm sure the 5 will improve.

15. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Just a short list. Agree with all these items that have been menrioned.

Definitely have to improve the windshield (windscreen) glass. Cracks, chips, and pits way too easily.
    Got to change or improve the "peeling steering wheel."
    Better quality seat fabric material.
    A compact spare tire in ALL models.
    Agree with going to 16" wheels, and/or raise the car up an inch to reduce front-end scraping.
    Would like to see ALL exterior lights go to LED... Blinkers, side markers, etc.
    Make the brake lights BIGGER and brighter.

photo 4.JPG IMG_0309.JPG IMG_0243.JPG

16. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2 more:
    • Get rid of the horrible FOOT-PARK-BRAKE - it's dangerous; and
    • Fix the HILL-HOLDER so it works in reverse. Reversing up a hill when someone parks close to you, with the stupid park-brake is very difficult.

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our daughter borrowed our Prius the other day, while I was doing various stuff on her Pilot. There's an outside change she drove the full time with parking brake on. I'm pretty sure not. Coming from the Pilot, which also has a foot brake but a lever to release, first thing she did in the driveway with the Prius, attempting to release the parking brake, was pop the hood, lol.

Yeah, the car can be too clever for the uninitiated, valet parkers, and so on.

18. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Better seats. Please!!!

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen4 was a bunch of concept things I and many Americans do not need:
    > Highest possible MPG (keeps car small)
    > A hatchback car that looks like a sporty sedan
    > Less inside space to due the above priorities; spare tire optional

So give me a CUV design and cargo space back.

20. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like you want the "v". Which TOYOTA didn't update like they did with PRIUS or "c". Someone here mentioned it didn't sell well enough for them and they're dropping it.

But a "v" with the Camry powertrain would be a good car - which we'll not get - the RAV instead.

wjtracy and Prodigyplace like this.