1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GEN I has kicked the bucket

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by TROJANS, Aug 29, 2009.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wait wait wait.... you are 600 miles over the 100k warranty? and a few months at best maybe over the 7 year portion?

Have you called Toyota? Seriously, this is so close to the warranty period I think they'll at least consider a replacement under warranty or something prorated...maybe they'll cover the battery if you cover installation, something like that. They have a history of working with people when you call and ask. Not your dealer, but go straight to Toyota Customer Care and escalate things.

If for no other reason than the trade in/sale value will increase dramatically.

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. I think the $3,500 quote is awfully expensive for a car just barely over 100k miles. That would set a bad precedent for other hybrid owners and seems like a 'double whammy' - paid more than for conventional car up front, then big repair bill at only 100k miles.

I see my 2009 as awfully expensive at $30.3k OTD.

3. bps

bps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Evan is right -- you need to call Toyota Customer Care (not the dealer!).

Bryan

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Last year, NHW11 Prius were sold at salvage for $4,500 with bad batteries. A local Huntsville Prius friend was buying salvage NHW11s and putting in salvage batteries. So there is a market, especially if a hurricane cuts through the Louisiana/Texas coast and gas returns to $4/gallon.

Bob Wilson

5. eddiehaskell

eddiehaskell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the car only lasted 100k...are you sure you want to buy another? If faced with a $3k+ repair bill at 100k, I'd complain to Toyota and tell everyone I know NOT to buy one.

6. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think you'd find a lot of people here who would be willing to take the car off your hands for a good price to fix it if you're not willing to do so...

I'd be tempted myself!