1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen I prius: replace only A/C condenser

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by jonbarril, May 11, 2017.

1. jonbarril

jonbarril Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On my specific model the radiator and condenser are a single unit (according to Toyota parts). The condenser failed 7yrs ago and we had the radiator/condenser changed at great expense. The condenser has now failed again (no external damage -- internal defect the tech says). So, this must be a weak spot in the design. The difference between changing the condenser vs changing the radiator/condenser is over $500. I have seen mention of, and the condenser is available separately for this model through after market parts (partsgeek).

Does anyone know if it is possible to change just the condenser? The A/C tech (not at the dealer) thought it might be possible. But, before attempting this it would be great if someone could share knowledge of the viability of this.

Thanks.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I do remember thinking they looked like they might be separable if you were determined, but I never tried it. Have you looked closely?

-Chap

3. jonbarril

jonbarril Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Only the A/C tech has looked at it while still in the car. I'm trying to avoid having to pay to take it apart just to find out that they can't be separated. Hopefully someone who has actually done it will see the post and respond.

Car has lots of miles (almost 240K), has done a lots of back roading (lots of rattles), and is not bad at pulling a teardrop trailer, but still going strong. I'd hate to have to buy a new one now -- I'd rather wait for a self driving version, or at least one that uses all Li batteries;-).

4. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rockauto has a couple of them, different brands. Looks like the condenser isn't a separate piece, but rather like a transmission cooler inside the radiator. On my gen 1 priuses, you can't really see where the a/c tubes go. But the factory repair manual shows the tubing connectors on the front, driver's side of the radiator. You might be able to use an aftermarket condenser and hang it on the front of the radiator (like an aux transmission cooler.) If you are sure the condenser is fubar, I think if it were me, I'd look for one in a wrecking yard or buy one of the ones that Rockauto carries, their cheaper one is around $261. Trying to re-engineer Toyota's AC system could get complicated

Some of the cost is gonna be labor and materials to flush, evacuate, and recharge the system.

5. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    NEW GENUINE Toyota Prius 2001-2003 Radiator / Condenser Assembly 16400 21250 | eBay $306 Genuine Toyota. In the same range as the aftermarket radiators at Rockauto. The condenser is integral and inside the radiator, like a factory transmission cooler. You could attempt to re-engineer the system and hang the condenser on the front of the engine--I'm not too familiar with the system, but pitfalls look like they would involve the receiver/dryer, and routing the aluminum tubing to meet up and make connections with the aftermarket or alternate market condenser.

If it were me, spending my own money (I do my own wrenching) I would buy the Toyota replacement on Ebay and not mess around with it. Easier and more likely to actually solve the problem than trying to source a part and do a work around. BTW, wrecking yards are full of condensers that are separate from the radiator, models of conventional Toyotas, Nissans, Mazdas, for example. Remember, you need to be able to fit it into the space available just below the inverter cooler.

6. jonbarril

jonbarril Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info. It seems that getting a Toyota radiator would be the most wise approach.