1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen II (2004) - Windshield Replacement questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ggarb, Oct 19, 2013.

1. ggarb

ggarb Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My windshield has developed a big crack right front of the driver's face, so it needs to be replaced.

Back in 2007 something similar happened and I was able to get the glass company to replace it with a genuine Toyota OEM windshield – it was marked Toyota, made in Japan by Asahi, and it exactly matched the original factory windshield with the arrangement of black dots around the mirror.

Now, I've had one glass company tell me that the original Toyota OEM windshield is no longer available, because my car is so old. They then pitch their own glass.

So I went to my local Toyota dealer where I bought the car, and asked the parts department about my windshield. They gave me a quote, and said they could have it in a day or two.

Looking at the quote, it's a different part number from the replacement Toyota windshield I got in 2007.

So I went online and searched at four random Toyota dealers (1) for both the old and the new part numbers. All places gave me prices for both windshields. I assume this means they could get either one.

My question is, what is the difference between these two windshields?
    Did my local Toyota dealer give me a bad part number?

Replacement Toyota windshield in 2007 - part number 56101-47040
    "New" replacement Toyota windshield 203 - part number 56101-47933

Thanks for any advice.
    /Gordon

(1) The dealers I searched online were:
    • Autonation Gulf Freeway Toyota 2004 Toyota Prius Parts - AutoNation Toyota Gulf Freeway Parts
    • Olathe Toyota 2004 Toyota Prius Parts - 2004 Toyota Prius Replacement Parts
    • Discount Toyota Parts 2004 Toyota Prius Parts - DiscountToyotaParts
    • Fremont Toyota Fremont Toyota (Fremont,CA)

(2) I've also looked at the following old discussions, which have convinced me to avoid third-party glass in favor of Toyota glass.
    Windshield replacement | PriusChat
    Describe the HSEA Glass ? - Page 2 - Toyota Prius Forum : Prius Online Toyota Forums

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My suggestion is that you should decide where you want to purchase the windshield glass, and ask the parts clerk at that dealer why two different part numbers exist and which one should be ordered for the 2004 model year.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The replacement glass is no where near the quality of the oem glass. Its real money maker now.
    They don't make much with the $$$ high q oem glass.