1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen II Acceleration apparently declining

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nyprius, Dec 19, 2010.

1. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The acceleration on my Gen II 2005 Prius doesn't seem as good as when the car was newer. It seems that the motor is reving higher than it used to when I go up hills or accelerate to pass. But while the motor seems to rev higher, the car seems to be accelerating more slowly. I just had the 90,000 mile service done. They changed the transmission fluid. I can't be sure the slower acceleration started then.

Has anyone had any problems with declining acceleration in the Gen II? If so, do you know a solution? Does it mean the battery is getting old?

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check your shocks and 12V battery.

3. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi NYPrius,

Its not that your traction battery is getting old, just cold. The battery in the Prius is like 30 hp at room temp, and about 10 hp below 10 F.

BTW, this is is a much less noticable issue in the Gen III, as one can keep the engine warm even when running 65 F temp control in 10 F weather. Which benefits in keeping the battery warmer day to day...

4. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow it must be freezing where you guys are.

:smow:

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably not the issue but......I wonder if the dealer put in the wrong type of transmission fluid. Your car uses WS Fluid. I wonder if they put in G1 fluid by mistake as its thicker..and me be much thicker in very cold temps and could possibly cause the car to feel a little sluggish.

What does the work order say about the trans change?

6. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi mac...,

Well, its much colder than freezing. I used to walk home in this weather from 3rd to 6 th grade in the UP (upper peninsula of Michigan, where it sticks out into Lake Superior) about 3 miles....If you dress for it, learn how to deal with it, and climb 16 foot high snow drifts (yea, walking along at the second floor level of your neighbor's house), its not a problem....